The Student Room Group

Improving the Model UN

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
How can improvements be made when people completely dismiss them?
MHoC will be looking at reestablishing lost links, hopefully lead to added activity
Original post by Morgsie
How can improvements be made when people completely dismiss them?

Rubbish!!!!
It's a real shame there isn't a great deal of activity here, I think with say 50 active nations the place would come to life. Here's a few thoughts I've had:
-The MHoC is fairly inclusive and anyone can post. Before I joined I got the impression that the MUN was exclusive and cliquey, and a bit distant.
-The Speaker's daily PM regarding any new activity is always interesting. I wouldn't want to burden the Secretary General but perhaps a similar system could be introduced to keep members in the loop about resolutions and discussions. Maybe this already happens and I'm being a noob.
-Maybe each continent could have its own sub-forum where it discusses the interests of the continent, similar to the individual party sub-forums but not as big a commitment.
-If we can increase knowledge of the MUN then it will surely increase in popularity and membership. I've spoken to loads of people in RL (sadly not on TSR) who think it sounds like a great idea.
Reply 44
They won't consider sub-forums because activity is too low, been down this route before

How about separating out positions?
Original post by Morgsie
They won't consider sub-forums because activity is too low, been down this route before

Boo.

Original post by Morgsie

How about separating out positions?

Not entirely sure what you mean by that, sorry!
Reply 46
I have made recommendations which were thrown out the window regarding SC, not happy
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by St. Brynjar
It's a real shame there isn't a great deal of activity here, I think with say 50 active nations the place would come to life. Here's a few thoughts I've had:
-The MHoC is fairly inclusive and anyone can post. Before I joined I got the impression that the MUN was exclusive and cliquey, and a bit distant.
-The Speaker's daily PM regarding any new activity is always interesting. I wouldn't want to burden the Secretary General but perhaps a similar system could be introduced to keep members in the loop about resolutions and discussions. Maybe this already happens and I'm being a noob.
-Maybe each continent could have its own sub-forum where it discusses the interests of the continent, similar to the individual party sub-forums but not as big a commitment.
-If we can increase knowledge of the MUN then it will surely increase in popularity and membership. I've spoken to loads of people in RL (sadly not on TSR) who think it sounds like a great idea.

Hi St. Brynjar thanks for posting this. Activity has only recently become an issue to be honest. I'm determined to try to tackle it with Birchington soon, I need to discuss it with him once he's less busy and same here. I'll address all your points:
-I think the MUN is quite exclusive I agree, but I think it needs to be like that so that everyone represents a country and represents the views of their respected country. Maybe opening up the MUN to people who aren't in the usergroup to view and post could be a good idea to get more activity and people getting involved - that could be a possibility for the future.
- We do try to send out regular PMs, usually once every 3 - 4 days if we've got time. (I'm going to do a PM tomorrow evening) I'm not sure that daily PMs would be needed as there's not as many things going on in the MUN on a daily basis like the MHoC
- I don't think TSR would be willing to give up that much time and dedicated to put that in place. We could set up a discussion thread for each continent?
- Lack of knowledge and ignorance is a key issue - we've tried to make the Model UN wiki as accessible as possible and I agree we need to do more 'outreach' work - feel free to point your friends to the sub-forum and ask them to apply. If their not willing to join fully yet, if they use Twitter they could follow our Twitter account @TSRModelUN. If they have any questions beforehand they can email [email protected] or PM me here if they've got an account.
Original post by RoryS
Hi St. Brynjar thanks for posting this. Activity has only recently become an issue to be honest. I'm determined to try to tackle it with Birchington soon, I need to discuss it with him once he's less busy and same here. I'll address all your points:
-I think the MUN is quite exclusive I agree, but I think it needs to be like that so that everyone represents a country and represents the views of their respected country. Maybe opening up the MUN to people who aren't in the usergroup to view and post could be a good idea to get more activity and people getting involved - that could be a possibility for the future.
- We do try to send out regular PMs, usually once every 3 - 4 days if we've got time. (I'm going to do a PM tomorrow evening) I'm not sure that daily PMs would be needed as there's not as many things going on in the MUN on a daily basis like the MHoC
- I don't think TSR would be willing to give up that much time and dedicated to put that in place. We could set up a discussion thread for each continent?
- Lack of knowledge and ignorance is a key issue - we've tried to make the Model UN wiki as accessible as possible and I agree we need to do more 'outreach' work - feel free to point your friends to the sub-forum and ask them to apply. If their not willing to join fully yet, if they use Twitter they could follow our Twitter account @TSRModelUN. If they have any questions beforehand they can email [email protected] or PM me here if they've got an account.

I think small things like the description of the MUN ('Only members can post') can be addressed, and definitely ignorance/lack of knowledge are a hindrance. Perhaps increased activity would help solve the rest of these issues.
Reply 49
It does not help when members are opposed to creating new opportunities for members to get involved
Reply 50
I think small things like the description of the MUN ('Only members can post') can be addressed, and definitely ignorance/lack of knowledge are a hindrance. Perhaps increased activity would help solve the rest of these issues.

Maybe there could be a thread for questions about the MUN or something for non members to find out about it?
Reply 51
Original post by Morgsie
It does not help when members are opposed to creating new opportunities for members to get involved
At what point were your suggestions dismissed or opposed, may I ask?
Reply 52
Original post by Birchington
At what point were your suggestions dismissed or opposed, may I ask?

Post 42 onwards: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2310559&page=3&page=3
Reply 53
You have some good ideas. Just because individual members disagreed, it doesn't mean I have and they will be considered in any reform proposals that come in the future.
Reply 54

Oh yeah, I've never noticed that description before. Okay yep that can be addressed. I also agree that ignorance is an issue - the Wiki is trying to address those problems and the SG and I are always open to questions from newbies so that's another way of finding out about the MUN. Vionar's idea might also help with that.

Overall, activity is an our main issue and if that gets sorted then we're on for a winner!

Original post by Vionar
Maybe there could be a thread for questions about the MUN or something for non members to find out about it?

That's a good idea, I'll raise that with Birchington on Monday. :wink:

As Birchington has said, you do have good ideas and I'm not dismissing them and I'm sure others are trying not to either. We'll take them on board as we continually find time to reform the Model UN and make it better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending