The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

"Mature" students in Halls of Residence?

Hiya

I've an offer from Aber to start in September (I'm about 90% sure I'll choose to accept it), studying Zoology and Microbiology.

I turn 23 in September :banana:

Right now I'm considering whether I ought to apply for a place in halls of residence, or go straight for private rented accommodation.

I quite like the idea of spending a year in Halls, but I worry that, being 23, I'll find it difficult living with (potentially) 18 year olds, and vice versa, that they'll find it weird living with someone a few years older. Also, whilst I'm reasonably sociable and do enjoy the odd night out/in with friends etc., I'm not a party animal, and I'd find it uncomfortable living with a group of partying 18/19 year olds...I'd feel like an old spinster :colondollar:

So here's my question:

Any other mature students out there have experience of living in Halls? What's it like, and is everyone younger than you?

As a side note, I'm considering including a note in my accommodation application asking the accomm. service whether they can find space for me in a Hall with other mature students (maybe others around the 21-25 year old mark) .....but I'm worried I may be the only one!!!! :bricks:

Anyone out there in the same boat??

thanks xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was considering doing the same, only 20 years myself but I feel much older and find the idea of living with teeney boppers a tad daunting.

I forgot to meation it on my application but sure they will try there best if you ask for it. I was considering emailing them to add thia condition if possible, so just try, if it dont work then no harm was done.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Just emailed them asking to add this condition , hopefully it is fine with them and I will come back and tell you their reply on if they have /can/will meet the condition.

I am sure there are many others like us so I imagine it will be dandy. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ReuyJ
Just emailed them asking to add this condition , hopefully it is fine with them and I will come back and tell you their reply on if they have /can/will meet the condition.

I am sure there are many others like us so I imagine it will be dandy. :smile:

thanks! yes, i'd be interested to know what they say.

i'm applying for accommodation after the weekend, and am definitely going to include a note in my application asking if it's possible to be with other mature students :redface: xx
Reply 4
Original post by Aprilfools90
Hiya

I've an offer from Aber to start in September (I'm about 90% sure I'll choose to accept it), studying Zoology and Microbiology.

I turn 23 in September :banana:

Right now I'm considering whether I ought to apply for a place in halls of residence, or go straight for private rented accommodation.

I quite like the idea of spending a year in Halls, but I worry that, being 23, I'll find it difficult living with (potentially) 18 year olds, and vice versa, that they'll find it weird living with someone a few years older. Also, whilst I'm reasonably sociable and do enjoy the odd night out/in with friends etc., I'm not a party animal, and I'd find it uncomfortable living with a group of partying 18/19 year olds...I'd feel like an old spinster :colondollar:

So here's my question:

Any other mature students out there have experience of living in Halls? What's it like, and is everyone younger than you?

As a side note, I'm considering including a note in my accommodation application asking the accomm. service whether they can find space for me in a Hall with other mature students (maybe others around the 21-25 year old mark) .....but I'm worried I may be the only one!!!! :bricks:

Anyone out there in the same boat??

thanks xxx

Hey there, i'm a 2nd year at Bristol and started when I was 22. The way it worked in my halls was that we had a 'mature floor' in one section of our block. It didn't really segregate us at all as it was all so confined anyways...each floor mingled with eachother really well and most people didn't even know I wasn't 19-20 and hadn't just taken a gap year ( most of the kids here have... ). We had from youngest to oldest in my flat...18, 20, 21, 22, 23. Next door was 22, 23, 25 x 2, 26.

The age difference is definitely noticeable, especially with cleaning etc and some of the **** they think they can get away with. But hey, they just got let loose on the world :smile: i'd have done the same at their age! It's bearable I'd say. I'm not a huge party animal but thankfully none of my flat were either, I got on really well with them all and absolutely loved my 1st year in halls though the noise can be annoying at times it's something i'm used to due to the location of where i've lived previously.

It's an experience you will never get anywhere else! So I would say go for it! you can always transfer into private accomodation elsewhere after the first term if it doesn't suit you.
Reply 5
on most uni accommodation forms they have sections you have to answer that enable them to put you with people you (theoretically) will get along with; eg; are you a party animal, loud person etc.

I'm sure the uni would take into consideration that you don't want to be with crazy 18 year olds that get drunk every night- they want to place you somewhere you will be happy to make their life easy!

sooo i'd say go for it- it'll be an experience regardless and if you hate it you can a) ask to be changed to another block/ flat/room, or just stay up until christmas and move into private accommodation in january?
Reply 6
Also- when i was in halls there was a guy in my flat who was 24 and found the experience fine! As long as you don't let the age gap bother you, im sure the people you live with won't care either!
Reply 7
Original post by Aprilfools90
thanks! yes, i'd be interested to know what they say.

i'm applying for accommodation after the weekend, and am definitely going to include a note in my application asking if it's possible to be with other mature students :redface: xx

I recived a reply stating that they aim to group people of similar ages when allocating the rooms.

For you being 23 this should work to great benifit. However for my self it looks as it will have less desired effect.

However I am sure that whoever you are placed with you make friends and have a great time, like wise for myself.

:smile: lets hope to hear some good storys from current students.
Reply 8
Im 21 and in halls this year, went for ensuite simply in case i ended up in a flat with 18 year olds first time away from home, ive enjoyed my time in halls but then my flats really quiet :smile: which suits me perfectly and we are all 20 +
I'll be attending Aberystwyth in September as a mature student, starting a 4-year course. I'm a bit anxious about moving into halls (been there, done that) but it seems private accommodation is so scare in Aberystwyth that I haven't got many other options.

Also, being an LGBT student living so far from home with people from all walks of life is a bit daunting.
Original post by BetterThanToday
I'll be attending Aberystwyth in September as a mature student, starting a 4-year course. I'm a bit anxious about moving into halls (been there, done that) but it seems private accommodation is so scare in Aberystwyth that I haven't got many other options.

Also, being an LGBT student living so far from home with people from all walks of life is a bit daunting.

1. I've been lucky enough to live in uni accommodation for both years of my course so far, but I have had friends who've moved to town and had some really bad horror experiences with where they live; be it toilets leaking through ceilings, poor internet signals etc etc. Try and see if you can still apply for uni accommodation. The only down side is the weekly fire alarms and inspections every now and then, but other than that it's much better

2. As a friend of so many LGBT people in Aber (and being LGBT myself, but not actually being a member of the Aber pride scene as such), even though there are no LGBT specific areas, they are a valuable part of our community and are actually quite popular, so LGBT really should not be an issue for you. I've never seen any homophobia here, either.
Reply 11
I'll be 23 in September too and I've also put in for residential at Aber but never thought to try and ask to be put with other matures. Only thing I'd probably be bothered about is mess in communal areas (like kitchen & bathroom) but as far as being around younger people goes, I never act my age anyway lol :beard:
Reply 12
I was 23 in January, maybe us 3 will end up getting put together :biggrin: I plan on staying in halls aslong as there's space, my mate was in private for the 3 years he was there, and after speaking to others, please no private, please... no :frown:
Reply 13
I'm not a mature student, but I know quite a few.

From my experience in halls, its more to do with maturity than age. I now some 18 year olds that act like they are 50, and some 25 year old that act as if they are 16! Go for it!
Reply 14
I know quite a few students here that are 20-23 in Halls, and they've all seemed to fit in just fine. The age difference really doesn't mean so much, as in every hall you get the quieter, shyer 18-19 year olds anyway. In all honesty, I think the age gap only matters when it matters to you, I sort of know a guy who is about 27 and lived in Halls, and it was him that worried about the age gap all the time, not everyone else.

Which Halls are you applying for, out of interest?
Reply 15
Hi All

I am a mature student (29) and have a confirmed place in Cwrt Mawr halls starting in September. I did mention on my application I would rather be with students closer to my age, but I will be happy with whoever I end up with. I've lived with a wide variety of personalities over the years so I'm pretty easy going now. I figure the first year is going to fly by as I get back into the academic life and I want to try and get involved in as many other activities as I can anyway.

I am doing Physics with a foundation year so anyone else in the same boat, it would be great to hear from you before term starts!
Reply 16
Original post by chrisphys
Hi All

I am a mature student (29) and have a confirmed place in Cwrt Mawr halls starting in September. I did mention on my application I would rather be with students closer to my age, but I will be happy with whoever I end up with. I've lived with a wide variety of personalities over the years so I'm pretty easy going now. I figure the first year is going to fly by as I get back into the academic life and I want to try and get involved in as many other activities as I can anyway.

I am doing Physics with a foundation year so anyone else in the same boat, it would be great to hear from you before term starts!

Hey man, I'm 23, and I'm going into the same degree as well! Going to be living in Rosser though, so not far from ya :biggrin: Totally not worried about getting on with people either, from working as an engineer for a few years, have no choice but to get on with everyone :P Give us a pm with maybe some facebook details, and I'll add ya if ya like :smile:
I feel the same way, I'll be 21 in November but because I grew up as an only child with a single father I definitely feel older then most of my peers. I'm also transferring into 2nd year from a university in Australia so I really hope my flat isn't entirely 18 year old freshers. I'm sure there is a society of some sort for mature aged students.

Is anyone else in Rosser?
Reply 18
Hey guys, I have had the same thoughts. I'm 25 and very worried about feeling like an 'old fogey'. Reading this thread has helped me feel better though! I'm moving over from Ireland, I'll know nobody and i'm very nervous! :P
Reply 19
Hey all, I know how you are all feeling, I'm 21 at the moment but will have turned 22 by the start of semester.
I'm starting from 2nd year and living in Brynderw...so worried I'll be seen as an oldie :P

I don't know if any of you are already part of this group on FB for 2013 Aber applicants, but it's a great group of people, it's a good mix of ages, courses and accommodations and it's great for answering any questions you have, I'd definitely recommend joining, it's really settled my nerves for starting.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2013Aberapplicants/

Quick Reply

Latest