The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kalliope
Well, I'm a bit confused - because I get the maximum maintenance grants/loans from SF plus a Cambridge bursary that works out to about 10,700. My accommodation is about 2500 a year, so that still leaves me with £340 per week, if you only count the 25ish weeks of term, or £158 spread over the whole year. Surely that can't be right? :lolwut:

Mine's similar, I get just under £10,000 a year, but because Oxford terms are shorter, I could roughly £200 a week.
Remember folks, people who study in London get a much larger student loan than someone who is studying in say Lancashire. Also if one is living away from home, they will get a larger loan than someone who is living at home with their Parents and Under 25 Years Old. There are various different factors to consider, where you are living and old you are etc.
Reply 242
Well, I'm a bit confused - because I get the maximum maintenance grants/loans from SF plus a Cambridge bursary that works out to about 10,700. My accommodation is about 2500 a year, so that still leaves me with £340 per week, if you only count the 25ish weeks of term, or £158 spread over the whole year. Surely that can't be right? :lolwut:

I also get the maximum and was thinking similar! Are you sure about the accommodation costs? Term is 8 weeks but I was told you'd stay for 10 so you had time to settle & wouldn't have to go straight home. So that would be 30 weeks, at maybe 100 a week?
Depends on the college ofc but mine is the same for every room & includes a kitchen subsidiary so I worked out I'd have about £100 a week left.
Still feels like too much though!

That's so much! You lucky bugger! :O It seems right to me, I mean I know someone who has over 5000 to live on because she gets the max stuff, and she doesn't have a bursary I don't think so that's really good! Don't question it, just accept it, you'll be living a life of luxury :P I might only have £1700 to live on for the entire year in my 2nd and 3rd year...the benefits of having parents too rich for you to get a big enough loan, but too poor to actually be able to give you the financial support you need (BUT IM NEGOTIATING! I should make a powerpoint...hmmm...:colone:) :') Also, congrats on Cambridge, well done! :smile:
Reply 244
Original post by vaguity
That's so much! You lucky bugger! :O It seems right to me, I mean I know someone who has over 5000 to live on because she gets the max stuff, and she doesn't have a bursary I don't think so that's really good! Don't question it, just accept it, you'll be living a life of luxury :P I might only have £1700 to live on for the entire year in my 2nd and 3rd year...the benefits of having parents too rich for you to get a big enough loan, but too poor to actually be able to give you the financial support you need (BUT IM NEGOTIATING! I should make a powerpoint...hmmm...:colone:) :') Also, congrats on Cambridge, well done! :smile:

That is the best idea I have ever seen! I think I might make a PowerPoint tomorrow! I've hinted to my mum and step dad that they should do small online food shops to be delivered to me haha!
But yes I will definitely be making a PowerPoint :smile: !
Original post by lucyab
That is the best idea I have ever seen! I think I might make a PowerPoint tomorrow! I've hinted to my mum and step dad that they should do small online food shops to be delivered to me haha!
But yes I will definitely be making a PowerPoint :smile: !

Haha my mum joked about sending me food packages, I might try to persuade them to pay for half my food costs or something idk. Same, it seems more fun than revision too :wink:
Reply 246
Original post by vaguity
Ahh okay. Can I ask how much you spend on bills roughly per week/month? (trying to spread my savings out accordingly so I'll be able to afford private housing after first year)

£75 per week covers food, toiletries, transport and general spending. I have money spare from this.
Reply 247
£178 because of bursaries and scholarships :P
Reply 248
How much is everyone budgeting? I'll probably have £100 per week (from full loans, grants and bursaries) and that's if I get my first choice accomodation of ensuite, but I think £50 per week should be enough for me to live comfortably. How about everyone else?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 249
If I get scholarship I`ll have around 250 pounds per week and whole tuition fee paid. Live will be good, if I get that :smile:
Original post by Flea32
If I get scholarship I`ll have around 250 pounds per week and whole tuition fee paid. Live will be good, if I get that :smile:

£250!?

You're the ****ing Donald Trump of students.
Reply 251
Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt
£250!?

You're the ****ing Donald Trump of students.

Keep in mind, this is for the best students from my country and I`ll have to come back to work in my homeland after graduation.
I will have around £40 a week so I will definitely need a job :tongue:
Hoping to transfer from my current store to the one in Cardiff :smile:
Reply 253
Original post by Alotties
I will have around £40 a week so I will definitely need a job :tongue:
Hoping to transfer from my current store to the one in Cardiff :smile:

That's like me! I'll have £45 without savings and then I'm hoping to get a transfer, don't know how likely it is that I'll get one though!
So jealous of people who qualify for applying for scholarships/bursaries as well as getting full grant and loan, damn! There's this scheme at Bristol and like 6 students apply for Unite Accommodation, they get the accommodation free and like £3000 of something - they'd have like £10,000 a year and their accommodation paid for, which I find just so ridiculous, while other people have to cope on like £40 a week (thankfully I won't be one of them!)

On another note, I made a powerpoint to show to my parents about why they should give me money when I go to uni and dad says he'll give me £100 a month, so it's not gonna be as bad as I thought after all. Phew! :-)
Original post by Naami
How much is everyone budgeting? I'll probably have £100 per week (from full loans, grants and bursaries) and that's if I get my first choice accomodation of ensuite, but I think £50 per week should be enough for me to live comfortably. How about everyone else?

Where are you going to uni? And how much do you expect to go out? I budget quite successfully on £65pw in Bath. (Though often I'll spend a little of the leftover at the end of the month on a treat)
I have nothing left of my loan from my accommodation. I got the cheapest accommodation possible and it comes to £4800 my loan is £4900. My parents cant really afford to subsidise me so I'm having to save up and I will have to get a job. The system sucks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know the system is a joke when somebody living at home and going to uni a five minute walk away gets more in just grants than you do in total. **** Student Finance.
Original post by Victoriapownall
So you still get the max loan even if your living at home,cause it looks like I'd be better of financially by not staying at halls :smile:

Well, technically..

Basically, there are 3 levels of support. Living with parents, living away, and living in London.

If you live with your parents, you get a bit less because it's assumed they'll support you still, which I suppose is fair enough. If you don't live with your parents (and it doesn't actually say where you have to live, just that you don't live with your parents) then you're entitled to more. You don't have to live in halls to claim this. I live at home (obviously, because it's where I live!) but not with my parents. Stupidly (?) they still want your parental income even if you don't live with them so as my dad declared an income of about 4900 quid for the relevant tax year (deductions from his self employment etc) I get everything.

You'll always be better off claiming the full loan and not living in halls even if you live with your parents as you don't have to pay over 100 quid a week rent. You're even better off living away from home but not in halls and claiming the extra on top of that but the reality is most people aren't in that situation unless they own their own house.

Obviously if you live in London you can claim extra as living expenses are higher as well as rent for halls but I don't know the ins and outs of that as I'm not in London.

So, to those who negged my previous post, that's how I get max grant/loans. I haven't applied for halls, but I don't live with my parents either. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :ahee: That being said, I come from a house with a low income regardless anyway (where I live now is a low income household that would still entitle me to maximum support) so I'm not claiming anything I'm not entitled to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 259
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Where are you going to uni? And how much do you expect to go out? I budget quite successfully on £65pw in Bath. (Though often I'll spend a little of the leftover at the end of the month on a treat)

Warwick. I'm not a drinker or smoker and I don't like clubbing but I might go out for a meal/cinema once a week :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending