The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4440
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Hello, I'm new, not to TSR, but to anime relatively and this is my first ever following of an anime season.

Watching; Hataraku Maou-sama!; Devil Survivor 2; Suisei no Gargantia; Shingeki no Kyojin. So far I think they're all great, Devil Survivor 2 I'm not really sure about, the fanboy in me for Shounnen type stuff really enjoyed the summoning of beasts though :biggrin: Yet to see if it develops properly. My personal favourite is Hataraku Maou-sama!, it's such a fun show to watch and the characters are great!

Also planning to start Karneval and Kakumeiki Valvrave. :biggrin:

It's been a really promising season so far, particularly for mecha/sci-fi, so definitely a good one to start following weekly. :smile:

When I have some more time, I'll come back to post my thoughts on those you've mentioned. We'll probably discuss them on Skype, anyway. :tongue:

By the way, Vin-kin, wherever you are, this is Shahi from Quake. Yup, that's right, he's also on TSR! :biggrin:
quite enjoying these current naruto fillers :colondollar:
Reply 4443
Finally the weekend is upon us, and that can only mean one thing for me, anime time! Before that, I figured I'd relay my thoughts on the new season. :smile:

As per usual, I've picked up practically everything that's airing. To make matters worse, this season is pretty decent overall, so I'm struggling to postpone and/or drop anything. I've got this long list of nearly 20 episodes to get through, and that's before I even start marathoning my intended series for this weekend, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (yes Shahi, you're accountable for this). Nonetheless, we're still going through the early stages of the season, so I suspect a few will begin to wane and I'll prioritise accordingly. Anyway, enough babbling, I'll try to keep my thoughts as succinct as possible. :redface:

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun is back (with an S) and I'm quite happy about this. I've always enjoyed this spinoff more over Index, largely because of Misaka. My only gripe in the previous two seasons was a lack of Touma, or more specifically, Touma and Misaka together as the latter is so adorable when he's around. :tongue:

With Kakumeiki Valvrave, I've only seen the first episode, so it's difficult to say how this'll pan out. Still, very promising stuff. Cliched as hell, yes, but is that necessarily a bad thing? I don't think so. The old adage comes to mind: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hataraku Maou-sama! is the surprise hit of the season, or at least for me. I found the gibberish in the first episode absolutely hilarious. That, and Maou's devilish grin in the staff locker room. So, while the subsequent episodes have remained on a moderate high, nothing else has quite matched to the first in terms of comedy, but the plot and character progression has been good. Definitely a keeper.

Red Data Girl is a difficult one. It certainly has potential, no question about that, but it's failing to entice me. I'm sure the boy's discontent and general sourness will lessen as time goes on, and the plot will expand upon the main character's powers, but it didn't really give me a big enough reason to watch it, especially in account of everything else that's airing this season.

Devil Survivor 2's first episode was pretty strong considering it's a game adaptation. Animation was decent and there's room for a lot of potential with the plot. Keeping it on for sure, but will review after five episodes.

Arata Kangatari seems to be our "transported to a fantasy world" offering for this season, except this time it's a switch. Nonetheless, the animation was more than decent and the characters seem likeable enough. Will be keeping this on.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru (my fingers have officially surpassed its workout quota) seems to be, from the outset, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai rehashed, except the main character is more or less the opposite with his cynicisms. In fact, it's a bit like the aforementioned Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai and, ahem, let me do a warm up first... Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru combined. Not sure how eager I am to revisit such a format, but I'll give it a few more episodes at least.

Suisei no Gargantia had a very good opening episode. Loved the setting and the way it was portrayed. However, how they'll carry the story from this point onwards now that the premise has been established (advanced human from outer space returning to Earth) remains to be seen. Well, I have two more episodes to watch to find out.

Ok, I think I've typed enough for now. This post alone compensates for my lack of activity throughout the week (or generally). :tongue:

Oh, one last thing for anyone that cares! Whilst updating my A-P to reflect what I'm now watching, it seems I've surpassed some statistical milestones! Specifically, 1,900 watched and 30,000 episodes. I used to loathe in self pity when I realised that I've become some devoted anime watching freak, but I'm taking a new positive stance on this. I should be proud... I think? :tongue:
Reply 4444
Wait, you've watched 1900 anime series? I thought I'd watched too much at a few hundred...
(edited 10 years ago)
This season is just fantastic.

Am hoping to finish Needless today, before moving onto the various 4th episodes that aired over the last few days. :yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by eugenius 8
quite enjoying these current naruto fillers :colondollar:

I'm about 7 episodes behind the latest Naruto episode, please don't tell me it's back to the fillers D:
Reply 4447
Original post by ianh16
Wait, you've watched 1900 anime series? I thouht I'd watched too much at a few hundred...

Well, specifically 1,900 television series, movies, OVAs and specials (of varying episode length). :tongue:

Original post by AngryJellyfish
This season is just fantastic.

Am hoping to finish Needless today, before moving onto the various 4th episodes that aired over the last few days. :yes:

Couldn't get into Needless. :nah:
I'm nearing 1,100 anime titles watched myself. :biggrin: Not a particularly special milestone, but I'll take any excuse to show off. :proud:

Original post by Aiko
Couldn't get into Needless. :nah:

I'm finding it great fun, for an ecchi battle anime. The plot isn't great, but the characters are amusing. :yes:
Original post by Aiko
I've got this long list of nearly 20 episodes to get through, and that's before I even start marathoning my intended series for this weekend, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (yes Shahi, you're accountable for this). Nonetheless, we're still going through the early stages of the season, so I suspect a few will begin to wane and I'll prioritise accordingly.

This pleases me, the best action anime ever, atleast relative to the few I've seen. :tongue: It won't be long now before we are chanting 'MUDA MUDA MUDAAAAAA' on Quake in unison. A truly excellent way to spend the day! :biggrin:

P.S Our boy Killy beat Cooller 3-2 last night, playing Cypher in the final.

On another note, still trying to watch FMA Brotherhood, but I find the comedy really cheesy and the action not so interesting, only at episode 20, just wondering if there's anyone else on this thread who felt the same way when they watched it, if any of you can remember. :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4450
just wondering if there's anyone else on this thread who felt the same way when they watched it, if any of you can remember. :redface:

Not quite: I've avoided watching it as I'm fairly confident that that's how I would feel if I watched it.
Reply 4451
I really enjoyed fma brotherhood, there were times I found it boring for an episode or two but I get that way with a lot of anime.
Original post by eggfriedrice
I'm about 7 episodes behind the latest Naruto episode, please don't tell me it's back to the fillers D:

i didnt actually realise they were fillers until recently, they have nothing to do with the manga (i havent read it) but they kind of are more like stretching the war fillers with these extra fights :p:
Original post by eugenius 8
i didnt actually realise they were fillers until recently, they have nothing to do with the manga (i havent read it) but they kind of are more like stretching the war fillers with these extra fights :p:

They're probably just getting too close to the manga. I'm guessing that after the war, and after they solve stuff out with Sasuke and tie up lose ends, then Naruto might end forever )': I hope it doesn't though.
Original post by eggfriedrice
naruto :awesome:

ah maybe, yeah same hope it keeps on going after that part, and that is slightly spoilerific so you might want to put that in spoilers :p:
Reply 4455
Just in case no one knew Eva 3.33 is out on BD in Japan and I'm sure everyone's favorite perfectly legal websites already have it subbed.
Reply 4456
This pleases me, the best action anime ever, atleast relative to the few I've seen. :tongue: It won't be long now before we are chanting 'MUDA MUDA MUDAAAAAA' on Quake in unison. A truly excellent way to spend the day! :biggrin:

P.S Our boy Killy beat Cooller 3-2 last night, playing Cypher in the final.

On another note, still trying to watch FMA Brotherhood, but I find the comedy really cheesy and the action not so interesting, only at episode 20, just wondering if there's anyone else on this thread who felt the same way when they watched it, if any of you can remember. :redface:

Yup, I'm hoping to get around to this at some point today. :tongue:

Yeah, as mentioned on Skype, despite the fanfare surrounding FMA, I couldn't get into the original anime series, but Brotherhood definitely held my interest more (as it followed the manga fully). It didn't give me the "I must watch the next episode now" feeling, but it was a good series, and production wise, it was brilliant, as you'd expect from Bones and the staff onboard.

Edit: Will leave the Quake discussion for Skype. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
I started watching Haganai the other day and realised how funny it was :biggrin: Anyone else a Haganai fan? :rolleyes:
Original post by lighterthanAyer
I started watching Haganai the other day and realised how funny it was :biggrin: Anyone else a Haganai fan? :rolleyes:

Yeah! :yes: The second series was one of the highlights of last season for me. :biggrin:
Reply 4459
Just watched the latest episode of titan, this series is officially going to be epic. I hope this is either going to be a long series or that there are going to be multiple seasons.

Latest