The Student Room Group

Dropping out

Probably one of them common threads around March, especially after the results which were out only around 2 weeks ago.
Before you wanna reply, saying "You should stay on, it's only 2 months left." or anything like this won't do anything.

Basically, I'm currently doing 4 A-Levels and GCSE English. Out of the 4 A-Levels, I'm completely failing 2 of them (Economics + Archaeology), Citizenship isn't going too well either but I've got B in Law which I'm pleased with. Problem is that if I wanted to do A2, I need to pass at least 2 if not 3 of them, and that's impossible because I don't even understand 2 of the subjects and struggle with the third.
My plan was to drop out now, wait until September and re-apply for AS again but change options to Applied Business, Law and Citizenship - not only I will understand Law (because I'm doing it atm), but I can improve on Citizenship greatly (in fact, it was the teacher who barely taught us Unit 1), and do Applied Business which is very similar to Business Management that I plan to do in Uni. That'd be 3 AS options but I'd take them for A2 as well thus ending up with 3 full A-Levels as opposed to 3 full and 1 AS. I don't think loss of 60 UCAS Points would affect me greatly, especially if I do exceptionally well in my A-Levels in the subjects I can enjoy.

Reason I am failing so much is too much work from subjects that I don't understand. Results have proven so as well; U from everything but Law, which I got B at. If I re-took AS again, I could - as I've said - get better in Citizenship, still do well in Law and do Applied Business which I've done for GCSE - in fact, I quite enjoyed it back then and would've gotten B if it wasn't for few lacks in my coursework but that's another story. :P

But there's another problem - GCSE English. I've failed English Language because they changed the grade boundaries thus pushing me from C to D, and I was put forward to the retake & the exam is in late May or early June. But if I was to drop out, would I still be able to finish off my English GCSE as, say, private candidate (thus paying for my exam) without having to continue my A-Levels? Or could I re-do English again next year, thus wasting this year's work? General requirement is English GCSE to get into A-Levels and I'm doing it alongside them but would such be possible next year? My 6th Form offers such, so you can do GCSE and A-Levels if it doesn't clash.

I forgot to mention.. My attendance is quite low (around 70%, maybe a bit more) + I was warned that I may end up getting kicked out if I continue to miss lessons. But if I don't understand 2 topics and am forced to do them, it only makes it harder for me to revise for my other options. Next year, I could drastically improve it at least. :s
(edited 11 years ago)
What a mess
i had a similar problem last year although I would say not as bad,
i had started off at the start of as doing geography, biology, art and graphics, I dropped out of biology in January as I got a U in my jan modules, I then quit geography at the end of the year as I got a D overall? Maybe an E :s-smilie:
but yes, I carried on with art and graphics to a2 but took up as textiles,
this is all coursework based so u can imaging how demanding,
my friend although did geography last year but failed and did it this year so long as she redid the work for the exams she failed in.
This could be a possible solution,
if you could try to pass 2 to start with and carry them on at a2 then redid one you failed in (at as) and if you felt like It do the as and a2 at the same time :wink:
this would mean you would be redoing knowledge you have sort of been taught therefore you would hopefully understand it better :wink:
or you could do what I did, carry on 2 subjects and do an as subject that is completely new and get 3as and 2a2 which would be fine.
The final option would be to re do the as year and this start the a2 year a year later.
Have a look on the ucas website, search for the course that you may be interested in and have a look on the requirements section, as you may find out that the subjects you need/ the volume u need is completely different to what you may have though previously :smile:

hope this helps :smile:
if you need any more help don't hesitate to ask )
poppy :smile:
Check you will be able to redo the year next year, as some colleges don't allow it (mine doesn't). You may have to apply to a different college in the area which may be harder to get to, may have lower grades on average, and you won't know anyone. I would recommend sticking it out, there's not a lot of harm finishing your course and at least it shows that you're not a complete drop-out. However, then you'll have to declare bad grades in the future, I guess...
Also, IMPROVE YOUR ATTENDANCE!!! If you go to the rest of your lessons this year you might actually learn something and end up doing ok in your exams. At the very least, you'll get a bit of revision done in lesson times and will show some dedication to your studies (essential if you do want to repeat the year).
Your other option is to complete your ASs, but resit them alongside your A2s next year. Although this would be a lot of exams it may be easier and at least you won't have the whole switching schools/ extra year of A levels issues.
You sound like you really don't like your subjects, my best advice would be to drop out. Simply because getting a certificate with a low grade or failing is worse than dropping out. Apply again and this time think through the subjects you chose. I don't think there's any point in doing all 4 subjects when you only like doing 1, you got a B in Law so you can clearly get it again next year. :smile:

As for GCSE English, you can continue by doing it through a private college. If you've done any units at your current college, you can continue on with the ones you haven't done saving you money (as private colleges have fees of about £20-£40 per unit)
Reply 4
Quite an old topic now. :P I've already dropped out and was allowed to continue doing my GCSE English for the rest of the year & started applying for AS in different 6th Forms as well.
Reply 5
Original post by MrCatalyst
Quite an old topic now. :P I've already dropped out and was allowed to continue doing my GCSE English for the rest of the year & started applying for AS in different 6th Forms as well.

I'm glad you've made a decision! Work hard, it'll pay off :smile: Keep motivated and attend every single lesson so as not to be behind.
Reply 6
Haha, thanks. ^^ Hopefully I'll get into a different 6th Form that has much better teaching standards thus allow me to focus properly and get my A-Levels. :biggrin:
Haha, thanks. ^^ Hopefully I'll get into a different 6th Form that has much better teaching standards thus allow me to focus properly and get my A-Levels. :biggrin:

why do people blame the teacher, have u ever wondered if it is you that is the problem?
Reply 8
Because I had a Citizenship teacher who didn't teach us - unless you count discussions about irrelevant topics (not linked with the lesson or the subject) as valueable. We've had other teacher look at our progress and she has admitted that my teacher was doing a poor job & he was reported few times for it.
Of course, if you see slacking teachers + having other teacher confirm it as problem with ourselves (studends), you sure have a weird definition of "learning".

Also teaching standards don't necessarily link to the teacher. The 6th Form I've applied to is on a higher level, so I can receive better education there.
Because I had a Citizenship teacher who didn't teach us - unless you count discussions about irrelevant topics (not linked with the lesson or the subject) as valueable. We've had other teacher look at our progress and she has admitted that my teacher was doing a poor job & he was reported few times for it.
Of course, if you see slacking teachers + having other teacher confirm it as problem with ourselves (studends), you sure have a weird definition of "learning".

Also teaching standards don't necessarily link to the teacher. The 6th Form I've applied to is on a higher level, so I can receive better education there.

Well maybe if you read to book through and through, read outside of the book, and actually TRIED you may have passed the course!
you are able to do things by yourself even if you have a crap teacher!
LOOK IN YOUR BOOK, you spaz
Reply 10
Original post by Poppyvenables
Well maybe if you read to book through and through, read outside of the book, and actually TRIED you may have passed the course!
you are able to do things by yourself even if you have a crap teacher!
LOOK IN YOUR BOOK, you spaz

Sorry, I forgot teachers are useless nowdays.. Apologise for not being dropped as a baby, unlike you. :V
Sorry, I forgot teachers are useless nowdays.. Apologise for not being dropped as a baby, unlike you. :V

Whoever said teachers are useless? no one I'm just saying that as you seem to think your teacher is useless maybe you should have done the other things i listed and you may have passed your course instead of being a drop out! And i WAS NOT dropped as a baby, i was loved unlike you.
Reply 12
Original post by Poppyvenables
Whoever said teachers are useless? no one I'm just saying that as you seem to think your teacher is useless maybe you should have done the other things i listed and you may have passed your course instead of being a drop out! And i WAS NOT dropped as a baby, i was loved unlike you.

You speak of drop outs as if they were some kind of bad people, at least based on your attitude. Perhaps no one is as perfect as you are and need the attention from the teacher to progress further? Reading the book may help, but if you aren't taught properly or getting help when you need it, am I to blame for not getting it FROM the teacher?

"loved unlike you" - is that what they told you at the orphanage?
You speak of drop outs as if they were some kind of bad people, at least based on your attitude. Perhaps no one is as perfect as you are and need the attention from the teacher to progress further? Reading the book may help, but if you aren't taught properly or getting help when you need it, am I to blame for not getting it FROM the teacher?

"loved unlike you" - is that what they told you at the orphanage?

Ha ha this is all so amusing to me :-))

""loved unlike you" - is that what they told you at the orphanage?" - That REALLY hurt me.

I'm actually quite bored with this conversation now, so bye loser.

And no this does not mean you have won, because it is clear you have'nt, and definitely will not in the game of life.
Probably one of them common threads around March, especially after the results which were out only around 2 weeks ago.
Before you wanna reply, saying "You should stay on, it's only 2 months left." or anything like this won't do anything.

Basically, I'm currently doing 4 A-Levels and GCSE English. Out of the 4 A-Levels, I'm completely failing 2 of them (Economics + Archaeology), Citizenship isn't going too well either but I've got B in Law which I'm pleased with. Problem is that if I wanted to do A2, I need to pass at least 2 if not 3 of them, and that's impossible because I don't even understand 2 of the subjects and struggle with the third.
My plan was to drop out now, wait until September and re-apply for AS again but change options to Applied Business, Law and Citizenship - not only I will understand Law (because I'm doing it atm), but I can improve on Citizenship greatly (in fact, it was the teacher who barely taught us Unit 1), and do Applied Business which is very similar to Business Management that I plan to do in Uni. That'd be 3 AS options but I'd take them for A2 as well thus ending up with 3 full A-Levels as opposed to 3 full and 1 AS. I don't think loss of 60 UCAS Points would affect me greatly, especially if I do exceptionally well in my A-Levels in the subjects I can enjoy.

Reason I am failing so much is too much work from subjects that I don't understand. Results have proven so as well; U from everything but Law, which I got B at. If I re-took AS again, I could - as I've said - get better in Citizenship, still do well in Law and do Applied Business which I've done for GCSE - in fact, I quite enjoyed it back then and would've gotten B if it wasn't for few lacks in my coursework but that's another story. :P

But there's another problem - GCSE English. I've failed English Language because they changed the grade boundaries thus pushing me from C to D, and I was put forward to the retake & the exam is in late May or early June. But if I was to drop out, would I still be able to finish off my English GCSE as, say, private candidate (thus paying for my exam) without having to continue my A-Levels? Or could I re-do English again next year, thus wasting this year's work? General requirement is English GCSE to get into A-Levels and I'm doing it alongside them but would such be possible next year? My 6th Form offers such, so you can do GCSE and A-Levels if it doesn't clash.

I forgot to mention.. My attendance is quite low (around 70%, maybe a bit more) + I was warned that I may end up getting kicked out if I continue to miss lessons. But if I don't understand 2 topics and am forced to do them, it only makes it harder for me to revise for my other options. Next year, I could drastically improve it at least. :s

i can totally understand what you right now i am in the situation, i first tried to get into naother college but because i am applying now half way between the AS level that too wnating to study totally different subjects none are accepting till September therefore i am planning to do Apprentice that way i can financial help for any college need and experience mean while too till spetember i think you hsould do that and relax your mind and prepare yourself for september. know what i mean

Quick Reply

Latest