The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by midnightice
150 minutes in this exam!

Aiming for around 75 marks out of 90. Should be very doable considering all the time we get given.

Anyone know why? For Business Unit 4, the paper is out of 80 (2 40 marks) and you get 105mins!

geography is very different, it is one of the very few exams, that you actually have to provide evidence to back it up with the use of case studies, which is why it is given more time for the exam.
Original post by clareramos
geography is very different, it is one of the very few exams, that you actually have to provide evidence to back it up with the use of case studies, which is why it is given more time for the exam.

But it's the same with Business Unit 4. We must do a lot of research on every topic so that we can use 'evidence' to support our points. This evidence must be in the form of real businesses and their relevance to the question set. This is much harder to memorise considering the vast variation of questions we're given compared to Geography.
Reply 162
is anyone planning to do the development and globalisation 40 marker? if so, do you have any tips? :smile:
Original post by V95
is anyone planning to do the development and globalisation 40 marker? if so, do you have any tips? :smile:

nope - I am hoping and praying for tectonics to come up - my only other option is ecosystems which we haven't even finished :s-smilie: sorry, I'm not being any help but wanted to reply because this thread seems quiet at the moment :h:
how would everyone answer this question I found it quite tricky:

Evaluate hot the theory of plate tectonics helps out understanding of the distribution of volcanic and seismic events?

I put:

- intro, outline argument, define the theory

para 1 - seismic events, distribution, how, case study.

para 2 - earthquakes in the uk not associetated with plate boundaries - case study

para 3 - volcanic distribution, how case study, and talk about convection currents

para 4 - destructive margins and Hot spots.

conclusion

I could have said more - paleomagnetism, evidence. how would you do this one?
doing the Jan 12 paper... someone fetch me a stiff alcoholic drink :frown:(((((((((((((((((((
Original post by Daniel George
how would everyone answer this question I found it quite tricky:

Evaluate hot the theory of plate tectonics helps out understanding of the distribution of volcanic and seismic events?

I put:

- intro, outline argument, define the theory

para 1 - seismic events, distribution, how, case study.

para 2 - earthquakes in the uk not associetated with plate boundaries - case study

para 3 - volcanic distribution, how case study, and talk about convection currents

para 4 - destructive margins and Hot spots.

conclusion

I could have said more - paleomagnetism, evidence. how would you do this one?

Hmm I was just looking at the mark scheme for this one, looks a very hard question because it's so broad and asking for a lot of info. I think I would set mine out similar to yours! I would start off explaining the theory of plate tectonics and evidence for it, explaining plate margins. Then explain volcanic and seismic events with examples describing how they are caused by the movement of plates. Could use examples like the pacific ring of fire for the distribution around destructive plate boundaries. Then suggest about hot spots not being on a margin but still suggest movement of plates etc.
It seems a very tricky question to get right!
Similar to another 40 marker I have done - 'Volcanic and seismic events are major factors towards proving that plate tectonics theory is valid'. Teacher gave me 32/40 for that one :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ellie_May :)
Hmm I was just looking at the mark scheme for this one, looks a very hard question because it's so broad and asking for a lot of info. I think I would set mine out similar to yours! I would start off explaining the theory of plate tectonics and evidence for it, explaining plate margins. Then explain volcanic and seismic events with examples describing how they are caused by the movement of plates. Could use examples like the pacific ring of fire for the distribution around destructive plate boundaries. Then suggest about hot spots not being on a margin but still suggest movement of plates etc.
Similar to another 40 marker I have done - 'Volcanic and seismic events are major factors towards proving that plate tectonics theory is valid'. Teacher gave me 32/40 for that one :smile:

Yes I did mention the pacific ring of fire in mine too :smile: and those questions are similar - you would basically talk about the same things:

1) define the plate tectonics theory
2) volcanic events/ hot spots as a separate paragraph
3) siesmic events

other factors

4) geoglogical/biolgical evidence
5) paleomagnetism

conclusion

I think that's possible in and hour :biggrin: I really want to do the plate tectonics essay, I find it easier to do! and I don't want to do ecosystems!
Original post by danielcain-reed
doing the Jan 12 paper... someone fetch me a stiff alcoholic drink :frown:(((((((((((((((((((

I'm doing the jan 12 paper this week - is it bad?
Reply 169
Original post by Ellie_May :)

Yes I did mention the pacific ring of fire in mine too :smile: and those questions are similar - you would basically talk about the same things:

1) define the plate tectonics theory
2) volcanic events/ hot spots as a separate paragraph
3) siesmic events

other factors

4) geoglogical/biolgical evidence
5) paleomagnetism

conclusion

I think that's possible in and hour :biggrin: I really want to do the plate tectonics essay, I find it easier to do! and I don't want to do ecosystems!

These are the nice types of questions I'm praying for!
Reply 170
geography = possibly the easiest A* ever

Yes same! Aw I didn't get to study ecosystems and I wanted to because it goes well with my environmental studies a-level. I have to do weather and climate instead which is really complex but I like the global warming questions. Hoping a climate change question comes up if the plate tectonics one is really bad.
Reply 172
Question about UMS and grades
so I just want to check my maths is correct (I dropped it last year :tongue:)

- For an A you need to score 320 UMS overall

-For A* you need 90% overall in A2 (provided you got an A at AS)
does that mean that if I got 74/80 UMS in January and A* was 72 I can get 106 UMS in June and still end up with an A*? (because 90% in June would be 108/120) ???
I'm trying to aim for 70/90 raw anyway because you never can be too sure but it would be nice to know.
Original post by JPL9457
geography = possibly the easiest A* ever

nothing like modesty :h:
Reply 174
nothing like modesty :h:

OMG i only just realised this is A LEVEL geography, i thought it was GCSE, whoops
Reply 175
Original post by fredrik
Question about UMS and grades
so I just want to check my maths is correct (I dropped it last year :tongue:)

- For an A you need to score 320 UMS overall

-For A* you need 90% overall in A2 (provided you got an A at AS)
does that mean that if I got 74/80 UMS in January and A* was 72 I can get 106 UMS in June and still end up with an A*? (because 90% in June would be 108/120) ???
I'm trying to aim for 70/90 raw anyway because you never can be too sure but it would be nice to know.

thats what I got in January too! think you're right
Reply 176
What case study you guys using for the redevelopment of urban centres in response to recent trends in retailing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
What case study you guys using for the redevelopment of urban centres in response to recent trends in retailing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sheffield and Hull with St. Stephen's centre :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary

We're doing Meadowhall/Sheffield and Merry Hill/Solihull, there is quite a lot of information in the AQA books/online for these :smile:
Reply 179
has anyone got any practice 40 marker titles they don't mind sharing? haven't done a 40 marker in ages

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending