The Student Room Group

Engineering degrees question

Sorry if this was already asked a thousand times, I couldn't find anything. And sorry if this is the wrong forum^^

My question concerns engineering degrees in the UK. I'm from Germany, looking forward to start studying in the UK in 2011. I am applying for Environmental Engineering and Energy Engineering courses, and I'm a bit confused about the degrees. I don't know yet if I wanna leave with a BEng and then do a MSc in something related, but more science-like, or if I wanna go straight to the MEng or just the BEng. I understood that almost every MEng is an undergraduate degree, but when I do apply for a MEng, can I still switch to the BEng and leave with it later? UCL says "if uncertain, apply for the Master", so I think I can still switch, but is it the same at every university? Every course I'm applying for is a 4FT MEng so far. And how long do I have the possibility to switch to a Bachelor?
Oh yes and how come that there is a 3FT Bachelor of Science and a 4FT Master of Engineering for the same course? (Renewable Energy - University of Exeter)
Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by waschlappen
Sorry if this was already asked a thousand times, I couldn't find anything. And sorry if this is the wrong forum^^

My question concerns engineering degrees in the UK. I'm from Germany, looking forward to start studying in the UK in 2011. I am applying for Environmental Engineering and Energy Engineering courses, and I'm a bit confused about the degrees. I don't know yet if I wanna leave with a BEng and then do a MSc in something related, but more science-like, or if I wanna go straight to the MEng or just the BEng. I understood that almost every MEng is an undergraduate degree, but when I do apply for a MEng, can I still switch to the BEng and leave with it later? UCL says "if uncertain, apply for the Master", so I think I can still switch, but is it the same at every university? Every course I'm applying for is a 4FT MEng so far. And how long do I have the possibility to switch to a Bachelor?
Thanks

Some universities will let you switch to BEng and graduate earlier.

But MEng is better, since it qualifys you for the Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.

Hard to find a MSc that is accredited these days.

But if you want to be a Scientist than do a "BSc/MSc" otherwise do "BEng/MEng" both are different, so make your choice carefully.
Reply 2
Original post by Dr. Manic Mechanic

But MEng is better, since it qualifys you for the Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.

But if you want to be a Scientist than do a "BSc/MSc" otherwise do "BEng/MEng" both are different, so make your choice carefully.

And how can I find out, if they do let me switch courses? I was happy that UCL posted it on their ucas-site for the course, but I couldn't find anything for the other universities. Should I just call them?
Well I think If I can still switch, I got some time to think about the BEng and MSc combothing while studying. But based on what I read so far, its also possible to become a Chartered Engineer with a BEng/MSc combination. So if I found accredited MSc courses that might still be a possibility, cause I dont wanna miss the scientific parts, though I think a complete BSc/MSc degree isnt the right thing for me.
And how can I find out, if they do let me switch courses? I was happy that UCL posted it on their ucas-site for the course, but I couldn't find anything for the other universities. Should I just call them?
Well I think If I can still switch, I got some time to think about the BEng and MSc combothing while studying. But based on what I read so far, its also possible to become a Chartered Engineer with a BEng/MSc combination. So if I found accredited MSc courses that might still be a possibility, cause I dont wanna miss the scientific parts, though I think a complete BSc/MSc degree isnt the right thing for me.

If students are failing the standards of MEng then they will be dropped into the BEng level of the program (degree).

Whether you're supposed to do just science or combination of both, it will entirely depends on the your job and the market state of the kinds of jobs you're looking for, really.

But you could the following:

BEng > MEng > PhD or DEng
BEng > MSc

The typical course of MEng consists of:

Year 1 - BEng
Year 2 - BEng
Year 3 - BEng (You can move to MEng only if your standards were good in BEng)
Year 4 - MEng (you have to do an additional year to get the MEng degree.)

If you get into MEng straight away, then you automatically qualify for the MEng degree, but you still have to maintain the standards of an MEng degree. You will be dropped into BEng if you don't meet the required grades though.

MEng is harder to get into than BEng, therefore, you're more likely to up to the standards of an MEng if you meet the higher entry standard for MEng at start.
Reply 4
If students are failing the standards of MEng then they will be dropped into the BEng level of the program (degree).

Whether you're supposed to do just science or combination of both, it will entirely depends on the your job and the market state of the kinds of jobs you're looking for, really.

But you could the following:

BEng > MEng > PhD or DEng
BEng > MSc

The typical course of MEng consists of:

Year 1 - BEng
Year 2 - BEng
Year 3 - BEng (You can move to MEng only if your standards were good in BEng)
Year 4 - MEng (you have to do an additional year to get the MEng degree.)

If you get into MEng straight away, then you automatically qualify for the MEng degree, but you still have to maintain the standards of an MEng degree. You will be dropped into BEng if you don't meet the required grades though.

MEng is harder to get into than BEng, therefore, you're more likely to up to the standards of an MEng if you meet the higher entry standard for MEng at start.

So do you wanna say I can't go

BEng > MSc > PhD ?

And now which course should I rather apply for? The BEng or the MEng version of it? Cause if I can switch between them still while studying, wheres the difference? As for example UCL says:
"There is common admission to the BEng and MEng versions of courses. Apply for either the BEng or the MEng; if uncertain, apply for the MEng."
But anyway, thanks so far
So do you wanna say I can't go

BEng > MSc > PhD ?

And now which course should I rather apply for? The BEng or the MEng version of it? Cause if I can switch between them still while studying, wheres the difference? As for example UCL says:
"There is common admission to the BEng and MEng versions of courses. Apply for either the BEng or the MEng; if uncertain, apply for the MEng."
But anyway, thanks so far

Yes, you can do BEng > MSc > PhD, but that will make you a "Scientist" instead of an "engineer".

The difference between MEng BEng is that MEng is an undergraduate Masters degree while BEng is an Bachelors.

MEng meets all the educational requirements to become an "Chartered Engineer" while with an BEng, you will need to do an additional year to meet all the educational requirements for an "Chartered Engineer" status.

So, get into MEng degree, and you will be on the safer side....in that way, you will have a choice or DEng or PhD.

If you wish to finish earlier, then you could switch to an BEng degree, and then do the accredited Masters degree (MSc)
Reply 6
Yes, you can do BEng > MSc > PhD, but that will make you a "Scientist" instead of an "engineer".

The difference between MEng BEng is that MEng is an undergraduate Masters degree while BEng is an Bachelors.

MEng meets all the educational requirements to become an "Chartered Engineer" while with an BEng, you will need to do an additional year to meet all the educational requirements for an "Chartered Engineer" status.

So, get into MEng degree, and you will be on the safer side....in that way, you will have a choice or DEng or PhD.

If you wish to finish earlier, then you could switch to an BEng degree, and then do the accredited Masters degree (MSc)

I know the difference between Bachelor's and Master's degrees, but when I can switch during my study, where is the difference in applying for either the MEng or the BEng? After all, I can still decide which to do after having applied for one of them. Hope you know what I wanna say.
I know the difference between Bachelor's and Master's degrees, but when I can switch during my study, where is the difference in applying for either the MEng or the BEng? After all, I can still decide which to do after having applied for one of them. Hope you know what I wanna say.

The entry requirements for an MEng is higher. Thats all I know at the moment.

When can switch between an BEng and MEng is upto university.

Some will let you switch after 2nd year some will be 3rd year. You best contact them and ask.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
The entry requirements for an MEng is higher. Thats all I know at the moment.

When can switch between an BEng and MEng is upto university.

Some will let you switch after 2nd year some will be 3rd year. You best contact them and ask.

Okay thank you. Ive got to contact them anyway, got some accreditation issues because some of my chosen courses are just accredited until 2010 or 2008 or so.
Reply 9

Hi
I got offer from
Sheffield University- M.Eng in Energy and Environment Eng./ M.Eng Process Safety and Loss Prevention.
Southampton University- MSc Sustainable energy Technology.
Queen Mary University London-MSc Sustainable Energy Systems.
Loughborgh University- MSc Renewable systems Technology.
I am findin it hard to choose
What are the job prospects in energy sector after doing MS in energy field. Are they better then just doing a B.Eng in Chemical eng? I wanted to know about the value addition.
I also want to know if ther is any difference between MSc and M.Eng courses.
Original post by Hunaid
Hi
I got offer from
Sheffield University- M.Eng in Energy and Environment Eng./ M.Eng Process Safety and Loss Prevention.
What are the job prospects in energy sector after doing MS in energy field. Are they better then just doing a B.Eng in Chemical eng? I wanted to know about the value addition.

An MEng is an Undergraduate Master (Honours) while an MSc is a Postgraduate qualification. You can't do an MSc unless you have a BSc, BEng or a MEng.

MEng is an accredited degree while MSc can be without accreditation. If you can find a MSc that is accredited then that will be good. But it will be hard to find an MSc that is accredited. Almost every MEng taught in UK are accredited.

You'll have a better chance of getting into an energy field with a MEng, either in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering. Some universities even offer MEng Mechanical Engineering with energy topics.

An BEng in Chemical Engineering will beat all of the MScs you have stated above if they're aren't accredited.
Reply 11
Okay thank you. Ive got to contact them anyway, got some accreditation issues because some of my chosen courses are just accredited until 2010 or 2008 or so.

Because they are accredited until 2010 it doesn't mean anything. When the accreditation expires universities apply for renewal to the IET, it is straightforward if nothing changed in the modules.

Here is a list of all accredited engineering courses (Beng, Meng, MSc) by IET. http://www.theiet.org/careers/accreditation/academic/synopsis-accred-list.cfm

PS. It is not difficult at all to find accredited engineering MSc courses.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Hunaid
Hi
I got offer from

Top employers require and prefer MEng or MSc nowadays, although you will still find plenty of opportunities with a Beng. The difference is that Meng finishes in May/June and a Masters in September, and of course you don't get any loans or grants for the MSc. But you have to remember that an MEng is still considered an undergraduate degree and not a postgraduate. Employers prefer Meng to Beng because they know that such graduates are of higher calibre than just Beng. For example my university will only allow you to continue to your Meng degree if you had an average of more than 60%, with no fails and no resits in your second year.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
I HAVE TWO OFFERS WITH DIFFERENT SITUATIONS

1) MSC ENERGY AND SUSTAINABILITY WITH ELECTRICAL POWER ENGINEERING @ SOUTHAMPTON UNIVERSITY <<< WITHOUT ACCREDITATION >>>

2) MENG Electronic & Electrical Engineering (with
industrial placement and year abroad
variants)@ UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS <<< WITH ACCREDITATION >>>

I WANT TO CHOSE FIRST AS THE GOOD REPUTATION OF THE UNIVERSITY

WHAT IS MY MAJOR PROBLEM FOR HIGHER EDUCATION IN UK OR IN CANADA ?

WHAT ARE MY PROSPECTS JOB OPPORTUNITIES BY "WITHOUT ACCREDITED MSC DEGREE"??
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Hunaid
Hi
I got offer from

Hello,
I am in a similar situation.
If you can help me based on your current experience, I'll appreciate it.

I have been offered a place to study
MSc. Sustainable Energy Technologies Nottingham Uni. Not accreditated
MSc. Sustainable Energy Engineering Brunel Uni. Accreditated
MSc. Renewable Energy Brunel Uni. Not accreditated
MSc. Sustainable Energy Technologies Southampton Uni. Accreditated

Which uni did you choose and why?
Is accreditation only important to become a chartered engineer in UK? Is it important if the course has accreditation if you are graduated from a non-UK uni for BSc.?
Reply 15
Original post by bonibon
Hello,
I am in a similar situation.
If you can help me based on your current experience, I'll appreciate it.

I have been offered a place to study
MSc. Sustainable Energy Technologies Nottingham Uni. Not accreditated
MSc. Sustainable Energy Engineering Brunel Uni. Accreditated
MSc. Renewable Energy Brunel Uni. Not accreditated
MSc. Sustainable Energy Technologies Southampton Uni. Accreditated

Which uni did you choose and why?
Is accreditation only important to become a chartered engineer in UK? Is it important if the course has accreditation if you are graduated from a non-UK uni for BSc.?

did you do an accredited BSc?
Reply 16
Original post by a10
did you do an accredited BSc?

Not not really.
So it doesn't matter because accreditation is only important if you want to become a chartered engineer. So in this case, I guess I will not be a chartered eng. even if I finish an accredited course in UK? (I would like to find a job in UK eventually)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by bonibon
Not not really.
So it doesn't matter because accreditation is only important if you want to become a chartered engineer. So in this case, I guess I will not be a chartered eng. even if I finish an accredited course in UK? (I would like to find a job in UK eventually)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can be chartered but make sure u do an accredited masters course, you can then email the relevant board and ask whether u would be eligible which I think you will be if u did an accredited masters.
Reply 18
Original post by a10
You can be chartered but make sure u do an accredited masters course, you can then email the relevant board and ask whether u would be eligible which I think you will be if u did an accredited masters.

Thanks for the info.
Any thoughts or advice on engineering departments of Nottingham, Brunel ?
Especially sustainable energy courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by bonibon
Thanks for the info.
Any thoughts or advice on engineering departments of Nottingham, Brunel ?
Especially sustainable energy courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both are good, I would also recommend The MSc Sustainable Energy Technology course at Uni Of Sussex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending