The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sabian92
Well, technically..

Basically, there are 3 levels of support. Living with parents, living away, and living in London.

If you live with your parents, you get a bit less because it's assumed they'll support you still, which I suppose is fair enough. If you don't live with your parents (and it doesn't actually say where you have to live, just that you don't live with your parents) then you're entitled to more. You don't have to live in halls to claim this. I live at home (obviously, because it's where I live!) but not with my parents. Stupidly (?) they still want your parental income even if you don't live with them so as my dad declared an income of about 4900 quid for the relevant tax year (deductions from his self employment etc) I get everything.

You'll always be better off claiming the full loan and not living in halls even if you live with your parents as you don't have to pay over 100 quid a week rent. You're even better off living away from home but not in halls and claiming the extra on top of that but the reality is most people aren't in that situation unless they own their own house.

Obviously if you live in London you can claim extra as living expenses are higher as well as rent for halls but I don't know the ins and outs of that as I'm not in London.

So, to those who negged my previous post, that's how I get max grant/loans. I haven't applied for halls, but I don't live with my parents either. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :ahee: That being said, I come from a house with a low income regardless anyway (where I live now is a low income household that would still entitle me to maximum support) so I'm not claiming anything I'm not entitled to.

Hmmm,for me though I don't have any relatives that I could live with so I'd either live at home or at uni,but I would rather live a at uni as the town I live in is so distressing at lifeless whereas if I went uni at say greenwich or somewhere then there'd be much more to do
Original post by Dr DaMan
You know the system is a joke when somebody living at home and going to uni a five minute walk away gets more in just grants than you do in total. **** Student Finance.

I feel you, it's such a dumb system like people I know who get full grants/loans have also applied for bursaries/scholarships which mean they'll get more/nearly more to just LIVE on in the whole year than I get in a loan! And I dunno why your parents earning more makes you more deserving of more debt than people whose parents earn less because those people get grants instead (and maybe fee reductions and stuff). Plus if your parents can't support you but you're not entitled to much money, what are you supposed to do? There's a scheme at Bristol which could leave 6 people entitled to full grants £10,000 to live on for the year because it gives them free accommodation and £3000! And the fact you only get about a £1000 if you move out...ridiculous. It's really unfair, I'm an adult, why is what *I* get to live on measured by what my parents earn? I'm sure if I was unemployed and went to Jobseekers to claim, they wouldn't be like "so...your parents earn this much? sorry, we can't give you any money, we expect them to keep funding you"...
Original post by vaguity
I feel you, it's such a dumb system like people I know who get full grants/loans have also applied for bursaries/scholarships which mean they'll get more/nearly more to just LIVE on in the whole year than I get in a loan! And I dunno why your parents earning more makes you more deserving of more debt than people whose parents earn less because those people get grants instead (and maybe fee reductions and stuff). Plus if your parents can't support you but you're not entitled to much money, what are you supposed to do? There's a scheme at Bristol which could leave 6 people entitled to full grants £10,000 to live on for the year because it gives them free accommodation and £3000! And the fact you only get about a £1000 if you move out...ridiculous. It's really unfair, I'm an adult, why is what *I* get to live on measured by what my parents earn? I'm sure if I was unemployed and went to Jobseekers to claim, they wouldn't be like "so...your parents earn this much? sorry, we can't give you any money, we expect them to keep funding you"...

It's an absolute joke, if my parents hadn't been saving since I was born like responsible parents I'd be absolutely ****ed.
Original post by Dr DaMan
It's an absolute joke, if my parents hadn't been saving since I was born like responsible parents I'd be absolutely ****ed.

Same here. Ironically, my parents would've been considered low income for years! I just think there are so many factors SFE don't bother to take into account; not everyone's parents are going to be able to top up their child's loan...
Reply 264
£140 :danceboy:

.... In the first year

Else about £60-£80
Reply 265
If you get a part-time job how much could you be earning a week (or month)?

I know it all depends on the job and hours, but more or less.

Which are the most common jobs among students?
My loan doesn't even cover the accommodation so.. :frown: I don't know!
I'm glad I have a part time job.. so I'm just saving up from that. I'll be skint. :confused:
Reply 267
Original post by Butterscones
I'm glad I have a part time job.. so I'm just saving up from that. I'll be skint. :confused:

Can I ask you which kind of job do you have, and how much does it boost your weekly money? :tongue: Do you advice me to get one?
Reply 268
Original post by ainiis
If you get a part-time job how much could you be earning a week (or month)?

I know it all depends on the job and hours, but more or less.

Which are the most common jobs among students?

If I get a transfer from my job and do 8 hours a week (which is what I do now) I'd be gaining just over £50 meaning I'd be on £100 a week. However if I do transfer, my income would be split and most would be savings and then I'd have an 'emergency' fund for if I need a bit of extra money for any reason
(Also note that my wage is quite good for a 17 year old!)
Reply 269
Original post by Butterscones

Ouch! Will you be able to get a transfer for your job?
I'm saving from my job too... just in case I can't transfer!
About £140 a week after accommodation...not having a maintenance loan, my parents only wanted us to get the tuition one for a year.
Original post by Naami
Warwick. I'm not a drinker or smoker and I don't like clubbing but I might go out for a meal/cinema once a week :smile:

You sound fairly similar to me then :smile: What I'd say is sine you have the money, plan to spend some on 'luxuries'. For example, this week I've bought the following that I wouldn't have if I were on a super-tight budget:
Sponsored a friend for her Swimathon
Bought a drink at the pub quiz (note the quiz itself is non-negotiable)
Bought a paper copy of a newspaper
Got a ShakeAway :biggrin:
Cider and dinner at the SU (note: total £3.65)
spent £70 in Fat face.... *sly eyes...*

You get the idea. Budgeting myself £65pw rather than £55ish means that I can afford to get life's little luxuries :smile:
(I don't normally go clothes shopping like that every week, just saying!)
Reply 272
Original post by gemmatovey

(Also note that my wage is quite good for a 17 year old!)

It is! I am jealous hehe :wink: What job do you have? I just do tutoring and don't earn more than 30 a week.
Reply 273
Original post by ainiis
It is! I am jealous hehe :wink: What job do you have? I just do tutoring and don't earn more than 30 a week.

Haha! :tongue: I just got lucky with it...which is why I'm hoping for a transfer!
I work in retail, its M&S but I'm in the clothing department :smile:
How many hours tutoring do you do?
As much as I earn because I will be staying at home. :biggrin:
Reply 275
Original post by RibenaRockstar
You sound fairly similar to me then :smile: What I'd say is sine you have the money, plan to spend some on 'luxuries'.

Same here: I am starting uni in September. My problem is that I am not a drinker, and I don't want to be left out.
What I don't know is whether I can pay the £5 entry and then not buy any drink, or just pay for a soft drink.
Is it okay if you pay entry and then don't buy anything? :confused:
Reply 276
Haha! :tongue: I just got lucky with it...which is why I'm hoping for a transfer!
I work in retail, its M&S but I'm in the clothing department :smile:
How many hours tutoring do you do?

Well, I do 4 hours a week, so i guess it's fair. haha mine is a part-part-job.
(I am EU student so don't really know how this works over there) :tongue: Is it difficult to find a student job? Did you have to have experience and did an interview or something?
Reply 277
Original post by ainiis
Well, I do 4 hours a week, so i guess it's fair. haha mine is a part-part-job.
(I am EU student so don't really know how this works over there) :tongue: Is it difficult to find a student job? Did you have to have experience and did an interview or something?

That's not too bad!
Ermmm, it can be hard. I was applying for jobs for a year before I was even offered an interview! I didn't have any experience, however most places do like for you to have some kind of experience. With M&S I did a role play and then if you pass that, you then get an interview and if you pass that, you've got the job!
Most companies just give a scenario though instead of a fill role play...if that!
M&S is one of the few places who will base it solely on your ability, as I said, I didn't have any experience but that doesn't mean that I didn't know how to deal with customers and so as I proved I was able to deal with customers and sort out problems, I was offered the job :smile:
Reply 278
Original post by Vibenation
Because of student finance, I get the maximum amount which is like £7400 for the whole year. My accommodation is £3300 for the whole year so I have like £4000 left so that at least £100 each week. I done all the calculations but it worked out £108 when I did it last week.

Im paying 6080 for accommodation a year....

the annoying thing about living in london, id say ill have to live of 50 quid a week. Full maintence grant and loan right there lol :biggrin:. Hopefully can get a job
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 279
That's not too bad!
Ermmm, it can be hard. ... M&S is one of the few places who will base it solely on your ability, as I said, I didn't have any experience but that doesn't mean that I didn't know how to deal with customers and so as I proved I was able to deal with customers and sort out problems, I was offered the job :smile:

Oh, I see you were lucky!! I agree with that method, if someone is skilled enough to deal with people, it does not matter if they have experience or not; Some time must be the first time :smile: Btw which is the best way to find a job? Should I go to my SU, or by Internet...

Latest