The Student Room Group

JSA Personal Advisor out to get me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SloaneRanger
"Cry me, cry me a river", when they advise people to make a certain number of job searches, like 10 per week or whatever it is. That doesn't mean you stick to it, there are so many jobs out there. If you really wanted a job, outside of the field of your degree, plenty of opportunity to do so. Theres nothing wrong with a cleaners job, leaflet distributer, waiter...... and whatever happened to work trials/volunteering.....

https://www.gov.uk/jobcentre-plus-help-for-recruiters/work-trials

Thanks for your condescending response.

I'm aware of work trials and I refused to do them. Would you work for free? Would you pay the money you're given to support yourself to transport to get to a location where you're quite literally working for nothing?
No, of course you wouldn't. Unless you're a proper do-good Tory and as we all know, Tories are prats. They're the reason this country is in the state that it is.

I've had work since signing on but it's all been temp work in a 'field' outside of my degree. Why is it that people in work immediately frown upon someone for signing on!? I've worked since I was 11 years of age and it's only now that I'm out of work. My parents paid their taxes for years so that when I grew up, if I absolutely needed to, I could sign on.

Also, with the way you've worded your response I'd hazard I guess you're not English. And if you are, please re-sit your English exams.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by BrandoMike
I've had work since signing on but it's all been temp work in a 'field' outside of my degree. Why is it that people in work immediately frown upon someone for signing on!? I've worked since I was 11 years of age and it's only now that I'm out of work. My parents payed their taxes for years so that when I grew up, if I absolutely needed to, I could sign on.

Also, with the way you've worded your response I'd hazard I guess you weren't English. And if you are, please re-sit your English exams.

Pretty bold claim for someone who misspelled 'paid'.

The fact that your parents worked means you don't have to work? Oh, I didn't know that: I guess I should look forward to a life of luxury then.

I dunno kiddo, I sometimes wonder if the country isn't the way it is because of people like you.
Reply 22

I'm aware of work trials and I refused to do them. Would you work for free? Would you pay the money you're given to live on transport to get to a location where you're quite literally working for nothing?
No, of course you wouldn't. Unless you're a proper do-good Tory and as we all know, Tories are CU**S. They're the reason this country is in the state that it is.

I've had work since signing on but it's all been temp work in a 'field' outside of my degree. Why is it that people in work immediately frown upon someone for signing on!? I've worked since I was 11 years of age and it's only now that I'm out of work. My parents payed their taxes for years so that when I grew up, if I absolutely needed to, I could sign on.

Also, with the way you've worded your response I'd hazard I guess you weren't English. And if you are, please re-sit your English exams.

You're in denial. And you'll be trapped in this perpetual cycle of just crap jobs. The longer you leave it, the worse it gets. Get as much work experience in the field that you want to be working in, even if you have to work for free. Having to suffer for a bit now will pay off in the long run, which is much better than being stuck doing mindless work in a completely irrelevant field.

And what you've said about the Tories, its funny, cause the way you've worded your response sounds like you may as well be part of the BNP. (yes i'm using a strong and a stupid claim just as you have done .) I couldn't find anything wrong with the english and again thats irrelevant anyway, this is an informal forum and it really doesn't matter how people word things. Seems like you couldn't handle the truth!

I'm aware of work trials and I refused to do them. Would you work for free? Would you pay the money you're given to live on transport to get to a location where you're quite literally working for nothing?
No, of course you wouldn't. Unless you're a proper do-good Tory and as we all know, Tories are CU**S. They're the reason this country is in the state that it is.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to resit my English GCSE, IM NOT UNEMPLOYED :biggrin:. The government only offer it to those who go to "dole club". Might give you something to talk about at the next sign on.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/learning-for-free

I wish I could though, next time Im unemployed..... I will look into it, like the third of never. Work trials don't hurt, you can gain a wealth of experience, you don't learn work skills at university for sure. So when you have gaps in your employment....what sounds better.....the fact you have been working even if it is for nothing or Ive been unemployed "x amount" of time.
Reply 24
Work trials aren't for free... You're being paid jsa? If I don't do anything I don't get paid... Sorry may sound Tory but if you're on jsa you should work for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
You're not sounding Tory dw, and tbh the Tories doesn't have anything to do with this. At the end of the day its just people being lazy and aren't willing to suffer a bit to get what they want. Thats part of the problem with this country, we're so generous and nice to people (which people don't realise and take for granted) and so we've become lazy and now aspire to mediocrity.

People sitting on their ass - doing the bare minimum to get by. Stop complaining. If you're fortunate to live with parents(/guardians) who are willing to feed you/ house you, then they're doing this so that you dont have to worry about those things and can instead concentrate your time in getting a top job and making the most of your potential ability.

We all have to ability to do well and we live in a country that allows just that. Instead a lot of people are just making excuses, being lazy and resort to complaining.
Original post by Brevity
Pretty bold claim for someone who misspelled 'paid'.

The fact that your parents worked means you don't have to work? Oh, I didn't know that: I guess I should look forward to a life of luxury then.

I dunno kiddo, I sometimes wonder if the country isn't the way it is because of people like you.

That last sentence was golden. I believe you were supposed to type 'is' not 'isn't'. But I'll take it as a sort of blanket compliment. CHEERS!

Also, the money you're entitled to as a result of being out of work is there to aid your efforts in finding work. That means transport whether that be publicly (which as we all know is only going to increase thanks to the EHEM *Tories) and in most cases it's to afford necessities.

Don't get me wrong 'kiddo', there are those that take the piss. Those that make minimal to no effort and therefore end up going months without any working activity whatsoever. That's the reason 'signing on' can be so demoralising. You're immediately stereotyped as one of those guys.

You've misinterpreted what I was initially getting at too. I went months not being in work and hadn't 'signed on'. I only went through with it when I abslutely had to. I'm saying that as a British citizen whose Mother and Father lived in this country their entire lives and paid there fair share of taxes, I do feel as if I'm entitled to this money to help me look for work. How that comes across as racist I have no idea.

I can only hope that once you have to start supporting yourself in the real world that you'll remember this thread and think to yourself "****, it's not as easy as I thought it was".
(edited 10 years ago)
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to resit my English GCSE, IM NOT UNEMPLOYED :biggrin:. The government only offer it to those who go to "dole club". Might give you something to talk about at the next sign on.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/learning-for-free

I wish I could though, next time Im unemployed..... I will look into it, like the third of never. Work trials don't hurt, you can gain a wealth of experience, you don't learn work skills at university for sure. So when you have gaps in your employment....what sounds better.....the fact you have been working even if it is for nothing or Ive been unemployed "x amount" of time.

I literally couldn't understand any of this.

You seem pretty smug! Hows working at the brothel pay these days anyhow? You're definitely not an English teacher that's for sure!
Original post by kmcgowan13
Work trials aren't for free... You're being paid jsa? If I don't do anything I don't get paid... Sorry may sound Tory but if you're on jsa you should work for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me oh wise one, how does one live on £52 a week when getting to work involves spending at least a third of that per week? I'm intrigued?

:confused:
Original post by lar di da
You're not sounding Tory dw, and tbh the Tories doesn't have anything to do with this. At the end of the day its just people being lazy and aren't willing to suffer a bit to get what they want. Thats part of the problem with this country, we're so generous and nice to people (which people don't realise and take for granted) and so we've become lazy and now aspire to mediocrity.

People sitting on their ass - doing the bare minimum to get by. Stop complaining. If you're fortunate to live with parents(/guardians) who are willing to feed you/ house you, then they're doing this so that you dont have to worry about those things and can instead concentrate your time in getting a top job and making the most of your potential ability.

We all have to ability to do well and we live in a country that allows just that. Instead a lot of people are just making excuses, being lazy and resort to complaining.

You're stereotyping 2.56 million people in the UK as lazy and aspiring to mediocrity?
Reply 30
I get paid £600 a month... Of which £150 of that is commuting £150 goes towards my partners mortgage and bills, £100 goes on food for myself and my daughter a month. Then I've got phone bills, tv license, debts etc, so yes on £200 a month it's tough to pay out the above.. But if you're living with parents youre out goings are less... If you live on your own you would get council tax and rent support... I will be on jsa next year when I start uni and will claim whilst I'm off during the holidays, I will have a daughter and a dog to support but I will claim for every job going, cleaner etc, I will also apply for voluntary work to support my career. So I will have to survive on £50 a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
When I was made redundant it took 7 months to find work stick in there.

I never claimed JSA but kept an excel spreadsheet of my job hunting to make follow up easier. For evidence you can also keep screen shots of application e-mails you have sent etc.
The grammar wasn't an issue. I believe he meant to type 'is' instead of 'isn't'. The way it's worded sounds as if he's complimenting me.
You're obviously familiar with one another... do you give each other rep in exchange for your deep seated and unspoken love?
Original post by shonaT
When I was made redundant it took 7 months to find work stick in there.

I never claimed JSA but kept an excel spreadsheet of my job hunting to make follow up easier. For evidence you can also keep screen shots of application e-mails you have sent etc.

Here here. Finally, a worthy post!

Some spend strenuous days upon end trying to find work to no avail. Others end up landing a job after a day.

I take screenshots too, I actually take my laptop with me and allow my advisor to go through all of the work related applications I've sent off.

Much easier. :smile:
I literally couldn't understand any of this.

You seem pretty smug! Hows working at the brothel pay these days anyhow? You're definitely not an English teacher that's for sure!

Haha, funny guy, says the poly grad on the dole.... three letters U C L.....
Reply 35
You're stereotyping 2.56 million people in the UK as lazy and aspiring to mediocrity?

No, but I am saying this about people on JSA. These are the type of people you hear complaining about foreigners coming in and taking jobs from people born here - yet they're not willing to do those jobs themselves.

Lazy people, who are happy with just getting through life and not looking at the bigger picture.

I won't diverge too much, so i'll get back to the fact that if you're on TSR, then at least you care about your education, must have a general awareness, and have potential to do fairly well (compared to a large proportion of the country). So if you're on the JSA, you're just doing something wrong, need to change tact and get out there - it's just laziness at the end of the day.
Haha, funny guy, says the poly grad on the dole.... three letters U C L.....

Three dots my friend... < like this... that's an ellipsis.

Good luck getting a job once, sorry if you graduate.
Reply 37
Three dots my friend... < like this... that's an ellipsis.

Good luck getting a job once, sorry if you graduate.

who cares whether its 3 dots or 4 dots. What does that even mean and how does that even affect anything. It means nothing!
Reply 38
What are you studying at uni? And are you receiving any maintenance loan and grants? This should bump up your incomez?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Cry me, cry me a river", when they advise people to make a certain number of job searches, like 10 per week or whatever it is. That doesn't mean you stick to it, there are so many jobs out there. If you really wanted a job, outside of the field of your degree, plenty of opportunity to do so. Theres nothing wrong with a cleaners job, leaflet distributer, waiter...... and whatever happened to work trials/volunteering.....

https://www.gov.uk/jobcentre-plus-help-for-recruiters/work-trials

You do know you can actually be declined for jobs due to being overqualified?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending