The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Best episode this season!

Due to the TARDIS' infiniteness, if every episode of a series took place within it I would not be dissapointed in the slightest. I love it so much.
But I may be biased :biggrin:

Also, weird thought that for a tiny while, Clara was the only person in the world who knew the Doctor's name. Thank god she forgot, that might have been a terrible way to lead on to us finding out, which as I've mentioned before, I never want to know.

Also, SWIMMING POOL AND TARDIS LIBRARY OMG OMG CAN WE SPEND ALL DAY THERE PLEASE :woo:
Original post by Harrow.7
Did anyone notice the Rose reference...the cameo of Eccleston's voiceover from Rose....

Original post by The Wild Youth
whatt??? Totally missed that and I was on the lookout the whole time for references :biggrin:

I heard his voice. What did he say?
Reply 722
Original post by Miracle Day
I heard his voice. What did he say?

The first time Rose ever saw the TARDIS..., "the hordes of Genghis Khan couldn't get through those doors"
Original post by Harrow.7
Did anyone notice the Rose reference...the cameo of Eccleston's voiceover from Rose....

Wasn't really a rose reference, that little segment was filled with old clips of people talking about the TARDIS. I like that whole bad wolf idea, it's quite clever but I get the feeling people are now just looking at things that don't fit and twisting them to fit to make it seem like that theory is correct...
Loved the episode! She found out his name and the history of the time war but she never got to tell us... guess we'll have to wait for the finale for his name.
Very good episode tbh! Next one looks to be a return to the classics too :biggrin:
Original post by forfrosne
loved the episode! She found out his name and the history of the time war but she never got to tell us... Guess we'll have to wait for the finale for his name.

i don't want to know! DX
Not very excited for the next one. I'm not interested in one-episode story arcs, I want longer ones that reveal more about the doctor, gallifrey, the time lords, etc.
It was good, probably would have enjoyed it more if was in better mood!

Want to live in that library though!
The TARDIS is now definitely my favourite character :ahee:
Loved the episode! She found out his name and the history of the time war but she never got to tell us... guess we'll have to wait for the finale for his name.

Tbh, I don't think we will ever learn his name and I'm kinda hoping we don't too.
That was quite good, but damn those resets!:mad:

I feel like a rubbish fan because I didn't hear CE's voice :s-smilie:

There's no way they're gonna tell us his name. It would be a step way too far, and I don't see how, whatever his real name is, it could please all the fans. Somethings are better left unknown, mysteries left unsolved. :biggrin:
Best episode of the series so far, although it still had a terrible ending, magic unexplained reset buttons don't become any less of a deus ex machina just because The Doctor threw it back through time.
Edit: Having looked on Digital Spy I realise now that the magic button was actually just a control for the magnet grab which means it isn't a deus ex machina, it is still an annoying 'reset' button though, which is become far too overused, everytime a character dies I instantly assume he'll come back thanks to a reset button now, I miss the days of Eccleston where he'd celebrate when everyone lived and would just assume someone would die on the way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
Am I the only one who thought that the ash zombie things were the TARDIS' white blood cells sent to fight the infection where people were trying to cannibalise it?

I didn't think about it at the time, but I can't be the only person who thinks that's one heck of a brilliant idea!
Great episode. The 'Claras' were a cool touch. I'm almost disappointed that they didn't take the opportunity to kill her again, it might have made things more interesting. But then again despite starting poorly the series is getting better as it goes on, so killing her off might have got in the way of that.

I loved the insights into the mechanics of the TARDIS; capturing a star that's about to go supernova for use as power, brilliant!

The ending was a bit disappointing but it made sense (which is more than can be said about some of the other episodes).

What I don't understand about the Doctor's name is why does he have it in a big book in the TARDIS' library? Surely any of his companions could have just walked in and found it?
First episode of the series that didn't disappoint me. :smile:
Original post by RedDevilThing
Great episode. The 'Claras' were a cool touch. I'm almost disappointed that they didn't take the opportunity to kill her again, it might have made things more interesting. But then again despite starting poorly the series is getting better as it goes on, so killing her off might have got in the way of that.

Has Clara died more times than Rory?
I would've been annoyed if she died again. Talk about repetitive!

I loved the insights into the mechanics of the TARDIS; capturing a star that's about to go supernova for use as power, brilliant!

I felt a bit heartbroken when they were in the engine room, because to me, the TARDIS is and always will be the personality in the Doctor's Wife. That episode really touched me, and it's how I choose to see the relationship between the Doctor and the TARDIS. To me, it was the same level of tragedy as losing Rose, or anyone else that he loved.

The star thing is nothing new. The idea has been around, and mentioned, since Classic Who, but this is the first time it's been mentioned in the new series and I'm glad to see them keeping it consistent. :biggrin:

The ending was a bit disappointing but it made sense (which is more than can be said about some of the other episodes).

What I don't understand about the Doctor's name is why does he have it in a big book in the TARDIS' library? Surely any of his companions could have just walked in and found it?

We don't really know why he hides his name, but presumably it was in the book because he wasn't the one that wrote it, and it wasn't uncommon for Time Lords to refer to each other by name (cf Rassilon). I'm sure he's not hiding his 'true name' for any Eragonian reason, and it'd be a shame to get rid of such an important book (The History of the Time War).

I love Stephen Thompson. He's a great writer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Has Clara died more times than Rory?
I would've been annoyed if she died again. Talk about repetitive!

Either they're tied or Rory is ahead, I think.
I think any more than one more Clara death would've been too much, but it might have made the series interesting and come as a surprise. I'm really not too fussed though.

I felt a bit heartbroken when they were in the engine room, because to me, the TARDIS is and always will be the personality in the Doctor's Wife. That episode really touched me, and it's how I choose to see the relationship between the Doctor and the TARDIS. To me, it was the same level of tragedy as losing Rose, or anyone else that he loved.

The star thing is nothing new. The idea has been around, and mentioned, since Classic Who, but this is the first time it's been mentioned in the new series and I'm glad to see them keeping it consistent. :biggrin:

I didn't know that. I'm one of the people who jumped on the Doctor Who bandwagon with Christopher Ecclestone and I haven't seen anything more than the odd short clip of older Who series. I appreciate the consistency though, it must be good for those who are fans of the original series.

We don't really know why he hides his name, but presumably it was in the book because he wasn't the one that wrote it, and it wasn't uncommon for Time Lords to refer to each other by name (cf Rassilon). I'm sure he's not hiding his 'true name' for any Eragonian reason, and it'd be a shame to get rid of such an important book (The History of the Time War).

I love Stephen Thompson. He's a great writer.

I wasn't really questioning the existence of the book, more the fact that the Doctor has the book in such an obvious place where it could be read. Surely the Doctor would be wise enough to keep it somewhere hard/impossible to find?
Original post by justanotherposter
Does anyone else wish that the two versions of Clara had been swapped and that the current companion was the Victorian version? It wouldn't have changed the overall story at all if the present Clara had died and then the Doctor had found the Victorian version afterwards. I don't understand why out of the whole of time the Doctor keeps choosing human female companions that live in the 21st century, a Victorian companion would have been a nice change.

The Victorian Clara didn't act Victorian in any real way though, so what would be the point in keeping her? It would be exactly like having a 21st Century Clara apart from she'd ask a few more questions.
Original post by RedDevilThing

I wasn't really questioning the existence of the book, more the fact that the Doctor has the book in such an obvious place where it could be read. Surely the Doctor would be wise enough to keep it somewhere hard/impossible to find?

Of course, there's always the possibility that the Tardis put it somewhere where Clara could read it. Although I'm not sure why it would do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending