The Student Room Group

Why abortion is wrong.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HopefulMidwife
I didn't say it was infanticide, I made the comparison. Make the distinction.

Rubbish, you put words in the poster's mouth with your snarky, sarcastic comparison of infanticide with bringing up a child in a broken home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by edithwashere
I find it worrying that a prospective midwife doesn't know the difference between a foetus and an infant. I'll have to make a note of her face and avoid her if I ever have the misfortune of getting
her as my midwife in future.

Quite. I feel they should screen prospective midwives for this idiocy.

Original post by HopefulMidwife
I didn't say it was infanticide, I made the comparison. Make the distinction.

Semantics. You manipulated what the poster had said by making an idiotic comparison that holds no weight because the situation is utterly different. You clearly need a lesson in biology.
Reply 502
Original post by Care-Free
Abortion is terrible, its horrendous and traumatizing but I'd rather go through that than raise a child wrong and give it a bad life.

It's (not) my body, i will have a child when I.m ready for motherhood, when i can love and support a child and give him/her what she/he needs.

then don't get pregnant. abortion only stops the pregnancy before it may be completed.

all any child needs is a mother to act like a mother. a father to act life a father. that's all.

the child is not your body.

your concept still does not make sense. go through with absoluteness vs limited possibility.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 503
Original post by Sereni
There are vast differences between the bunch of cells that consist an embryo and those that I am made up of. Read around embryology if you want to better see how vast that difference is.

Never said there were no differences between your bunch of cells vs a pre-born child at any stage in their life. just like how my cells are different than yours, as is an African's or a Jew's bunch of cells. we are all still human...you have still failed at arguing that.

rightfully so, all humans should be respected and given the chance to live. your denial to this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gray Wolf
You quoted the thing that explicitly stated "Just because we wish to prevent 93% of unnecessary killings it doesn't mean we can't make amends for where the lives of mothers are threatened."
Then... you went on to write that anyway...

well, how would you make amends for the lives of mothers who are threatned?
Original post by da_nolo
then don't get pregnant. abortion only stops the pregnancy before it may be completed.

all any child needs is a mother to act like a mother. a father to act life a father. that's all.

the child is not your body.

your concept still does not make sense. go through with absoluteness vs limited possibility.

a pipe down, im not pregnant nor have i ever been jeeeeze. it's not a child in my eyes, the embryo, the bunch of cells are part of my body. The fact that a child would wreck my life isnt a limited possibility, it's an absolute certainty.
Reply 506
Wow. The same two people have managed to argue for 26 pages and counting.

I don't agree at all with what you're saying, but damn... I respect your stamina.
Reply 507
Original post by Muppetmad
To quote Judith Jarvis Thomson, who covers this point wonderfully: If the room is stuffy, and I therefore open a window to air it, and a burglar climbs in, it would be absurd to say, "Ah, now he can stay, she's given him a right to the use of her house--for she is partially responsible for his presence there, having voluntarily done what enabled him to get in, in full knowledge that there are such things as burglars, and that burglars burgle.''

Sex was made for the creation of new beings. Windows that open were not made to let burglars in. This metaphor is invalid.
Original post by Lady_L
Sex was made for the creation of new beings. Windows that open were not made to let burglars in. This metaphor is invalid.

Assumes a creator.

The metaphor is that sex allowing pregnancy is comparable to leaving a window open allowing a burglar in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 509
Original post by Calllu-m
It isn't infanticide because it isn't yet an infant. It's a foetus. Make the distinction.

The 'creature' inside the womb is a foetus until it is borne...and yet they could live outside the womb a few months before birth - but they're still given the name foetus as it makes a distinction between humans and unborn humans as killing a baby would be murder - but removing life from a foetus is nothing because foetus' have no rights.

Disabled foetus' can be aborted up to the day of birth. If one foetus was born early it could not be destroyed as it is now considered a human...and other humans generally have morals about murdering humans. However, if the foetus was not born early it could still be killed and society would completely except it.

People get upset about unnecessary wars in other countries with many people dying and yet they condone the killing of millions innocent children. Hypocrisy in its greatest form!

I find abortion completely unacceptable and very upsetting.
Reply 510
Original post by Hypocrism
Assumes a creator.

The metaphor is that sex allowing pregnancy is comparable to leaving a window open allowing a burglar in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, well the function of sex is to create new beings.
Original post by Lady_L
Ok, well the function of sex is to create new beings.

And that assumes sex cannot be used for pleasure!

And it still doesn't negate the metaphor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 512
And that assumes sex cannot be used for pleasure!

And it still doesn't negate the metaphor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scientifically, we are animals. In nature animals have sex to reproduce to keep their species running, pleasure is a by-product.
However, humans see themselves in a different light.

Anyhow, people should be aware of the possible outcome of sex - even with contraception. Why should an innocent child (foetus is just a word used to deceive people into believing that an unborn child shouldn't have rights) be painfully killed for their parents' actions. It wouldn't be acceptable if you were killed because your parent did something wrong, so why is it acceptable in these cases?

How does my argument not negate the metaphor?
Original post by Lady_L
Scientifically, we are animals. In nature animals have sex to reproduce to keep their species running, pleasure is a by-product.
However, humans see themselves in a different light.

Anyhow, people should be aware of the possible outcome of sex - even with contraception. Why should an innocent child (foetus is just a word used to deceive people into believing that an unborn child shouldn't have rights) be painfully killed for their parents' actions. It wouldn't be acceptable if you were killed because your parent did something wrong, so why is it acceptable in these cases?

How does my argument not negate the metaphor?

This is very true of animals. However, we are one of the few animals that gain physical pleasure from sex. From that, we can see it is logical to view sex as having more than one function, including pair bonding.

You should know that dolphins also have casual sex for physical pleasure and bonding!

It doesn't negate the metaphor because you've failed to demonstrate that sex can only be used for reproduction. The metaphor is that both actions have unintended consequences, and that from a certain moral perspective that makes the people involved not responsible for those unintended consequences. The same arguments you are using are applied by people who blame women for their own rapes!

Let me be honest; it sounds like you are less concerned about stopping abortion, and more concerned about stopping people from having sex. You said that a child shouldn't be punished for its parents' bad actions, and that presupposes that sex is bad.

You also claim that abortion is painful without evidence. In short: arguments from emotion without substance are weak arguments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lady_L
The 'creature' inside the womb is a foetus until it is borne...and yet they could live outside the womb a few months before birth - but they're still given the name foetus as it makes a distinction between humans and unborn humans as killing a baby would be murder - but removing life from a foetus is nothing because foetus' have no rights.

Disabled foetus' can be aborted up to the day of birth. If one foetus was born early it could not be destroyed as it is now considered a human...and other humans generally have morals about murdering humans. However, if the foetus was not born early it could still be killed and society would completely except it.

People get upset about unnecessary wars in other countries with many people dying and yet they condone the killing of millions innocent children. Hypocrisy in its greatest form!

I find abortion completely unacceptable and very upsetting.

Well you might find abortion unacceptable. But frankly, I think it's a woman's right to choose, and I think you need to keep your conservative and reactionary opinions to yourself.

They aren't children. They're unborn zygotes with no nerve endings and can't feel pain. It isn't hypocrisy, as it isn't murder.
Reply 515
Original post by Care-Free
a pipe down, im not pregnant nor have i ever been jeeeeze. it's not a child in my eyes, the embryo, the bunch of cells are part of my body. The fact that a child would wreck my life isnt a limited possibility, it's an absolute certainty.

....:confused: okay a pipe is down. ware you fixing your plumbing?

no, the child is not a part of your body, it is simply connected to your inners.
your arm is a part of your body. your appendix is a part of your body. another human is not.

conjoined twins? is one a part of the other? no, just connected. same thing here. you are connected.

cheerio
Original post by da_nolo
....:confused: okay a pipe is down. ware you fixing your plumbing?

no, the child is not a part of your body, it is simply connected to your inners.
your arm is a part of your body. your appendix is a part of your body. another human is not.

conjoined twins? is one a part of the other? no, just connected. same thing here. you are connected.

cheerio

So, where along the umbilical cord does it go from being the baby to being the mother?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 517
Original post by Calllu-m
Well you might find abortion unacceptable. But frankly, I think it's a woman's right to choose, and I think you need to keep your conservative and reactionary opinions to yourself.

They aren't children. They're unborn zygotes with no nerve endings and can't feel pain. It isn't hypocrisy, as it isn't murder.
funny how you'd yell at her to keep her opinions to herself, but if another pro-abortionist was 'defending the right'...well then speak up brother! speak up sister! THAT's hipocrisy.

children
1.A young human being below the age of full physical development or below the legal age of majority.
2.A son or daughter of any age.

are not children? ha! clearly they are young and a son or daughter. they are children.

it may not be hipocrisy to stamp out a single group of humans and seperate their 'worth' from the rest (some times), but it is prejudice.

the definition of murder may not fit to your liking, but homicide does regardless to anyone's liking.
Original post by da_nolo
are not children? ha! clearly they are young and a son or daughter. they are children.

it may not be hipocrisy to stamp out a single group of humans and seperate their 'worth' from the rest (some times), but it is prejudice.

the definition of murder may not fit to your liking, but homicide does regardless to anyone's liking.

Pathetic attempt, you know full well that the second definition refers to people taking about their offspring. Do you think your grandparents are children? No; they are the children of your great grandparents, they are sons and daughters of any age. And the first definition uses the word "human being", which is what you have failed to show that a developing embryo is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 519
So, where along the umbilical cord does it go from being the baby to being the mother?

Posted from TSR Mobile
once implantation has occured, the connection is at the uturine wall. that is part of the mother. The uterus is part of the mom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending