Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Computer Science Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Hannah215
I thought it seemed quite nice and not too expensive :smile: I expected there to be more guys anyway so as long as you're all nice then it should be fine :smile:

Ahh I just meant brave because of how far away it is from the Comp Sci buildings; I skipped putting down any that were more than a 5 minute walk away! :biggrin:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by Kalisnoir
Ahh I just meant brave because of how far away it is from the Comp Sci buildings; I skipped putting down any that were more than a 5 minute walk away! :biggrin:

Haha, I was thinking about doing that, can't quite remember why I didn't :P
Reply 62
Original post by gowans07
It depends on the syllabus really, mine was AQA.

AS Level:

Simple Programming:
We started with Pascal then moved onto VB6, this will change depending on your tutor, other languages that were on offer were Python, VB.Net and Java). You'll learn about variables, data types, structures, boolean algebra (not as bad as it sounds).

Problem Solving:
Finite State machines, Algorithm design and decision tables.

Computing Fundamentals:
Role of hardware, different types of software, different programming languages.

the Internet:
ISP's, IP/TCP, domains, ports etc

A2 Level:

More Problem Solving:
Abstraction, Comparing algorithms, regualar expressions.

Programming Concepts:
Recursion, Searching Data, Types of programming languages (different from above)

Operating Systems:
Types of OS's, Databases, Communication and Networks.

Then a coursework project, you get to choose any project you want (to an extent) and you'll code it all and show evidence of it working etc. This ranges from Games to Database systems. Going through the SDLC (System Development Life Cycle) If you've done IT at A-Level you'll cover this too.

Hope this helps. Heres a link to the AQA spec if you want to look at it in more detail http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2510-W-SP.PDF

I can send you over some work/ examples if you want to look at it (just got to find them first)

Yeah, that'd be great if it's not too much trouble :smile: Thank you!
Reply 63
Yeah, that'd be great if it's not too much trouble :smile: Thank you!

I'll give it a go, is their anything specific you want me to get? Are projects, code any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Just sent my accommodation application in. 1) Victoria Halls 2) Central Link 3) Castle Court
Reply 65
Anyone got an offer whilst only a C in GCSE mathematics?

Conted admons wasn't sure so they said they'd get back to me. Just waiting on a reply, I'd be less worried if I knew others had got offers without a B in maths :tongue:
Reply 66
They say not having maths shouldn't stop you from being able to take the course.

C in AS Maths, still think I have to take the maths module tho...
Reply 67
Original post by gowans07
I'll give it a go, is their anything specific you want me to get? Are projects, code any help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really anything specific, more of an overview if that helps? It's up to you really :smile:
Reply 68
I have a C in mathematics and a B in statistics GCSE and they didn't even question it in my interview.
Reply 69
Haha, one of the reasons I applied to Newcastle was the fact that they didn't want A-level maths, seen as I kind of failed AS. A lot of other places I looked at like Sheffield and Manchester did which is a shame :frown:
Reply 70
Hey sorry for poor grammar I was on my phone when that post was made :P

So, has anyone currently got an offer or on the course who has mathematics only at GCSE grade C ?
Reply 71
Original post by Maths94

So, has anyone currently got an offer or on the course who has mathematics only at GCSE grade C ?

See my last post for my grades but my offer is DDM.
Reply 72
See my last post for my grades but my offer is DDM.

I'm also doing BTEC and should get DDD. Also, I don't really understand your mathematics grading; when I done maths you only had maths not maths and them statistics ?
Reply 73
Original post by Maths94
I'm also doing BTEC and should get DDD. Also, I don't really understand your mathematics grading; when I done maths you only had maths not maths and them statistics ?

I did my maths GCSE a year early (year 10) which allowed us to do another GCSE (Statistics) in year 11.
Reply 74
I did my maths GCSE a year early (year 10) which allowed us to do another GCSE (Statistics) in year 11.

Hmm I reckon I'd stand a chance getting in with a C in mathematics then. Are you online all night, will inbox you in bit; busy atm. You got skype by any chance?
Reply 75
Original post by Maths94
Hmm I reckon I'd stand a chance getting in with a C in mathematics then. Are you online all night, will inbox you in bit; busy atm. You got skype by any chance?

Sure, add Kalisnoir

Anyone else firmed is welcome to add me as well :smile:
Reply 76
Sure, add Kalisnoir

Anyone else firmed is welcome to add me as well :smile:

live:gowans07 I think....
Reply 77
Original post by Maths94

I got a B at GCSE maths but to be honest I doubt they'll really look at that. I don't think anything we did at GCSE is going to be of any help so they'll probably not even bother with it :smile:
Reply 78
I got a B at GCSE maths but to be honest I doubt they'll really look at that. I don't think anything we did at GCSE is going to be of any help so they'll probably not even bother with it :smile:

GCSE's don't indicate much ability IMO, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus a B in maths is good enough.
Reply 79
Original post by EagleWing
GCSE's don't indicate much ability IMO, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus a B in maths is good enough.

Uni's do look at GCSE grades, not as much for degrees that aren't veterinary or medicine degrees, but they do take them into account when choosing candidates.

But a B in maths will be enough for Comp Sci :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending