The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ..DT..
I'd cry and cry for months.

He must've been laughing when that penalty was given though.

Although tbh I'd hope he'd lay a bet like that. There's no way I wouldn't if that were me.
Feel for Brenford but think they will win the play offs!
What a ****ing season at Peterborough. 19 points at the halfway stage, losing 13 out of first 17 to still somehow having hopes of survival on the last day is incredible. Well done Fergie for sticking at it and hope the huge effort put in throughout the last 15 games or so is worth it come around 2:30 next Saturday.
Wolves. Dear oh dear. Has to be the first time a team has been relegated in consecutive seasons since the formation of the Premier League. To make things worse for Dean Saunders the club he left will take their place in the Championship next season!
My predictions for the Championship:

Watford to get the automatic promotion spot. (I think Hull will be very nervous)

Dougie Freedman to face his old club Palace in the play off final and win.

Wolves and Peterborough to go down with Bristol.

This has been a crazy Championship, especially being a Bolton fan (spending the first half of the season being in the bottom six) This is the first season my team have been in the Championship whilst supporting them and I have got to say, in my honest opinion, it is a much more entertaining league than the Premier League!
Certainly was a day of agony and triumph today, first off as others have mentioned you gotta feel sorry for Brentford, so close to snatching promotion only for it to be cruelly taken away, credit though for Doncaster for taking the chance on the break. Sheffield Wednesday are still in real danger and have to now least go and get a result against Middlesbrough next week, Wolves are virtually done and it is no surprise the fans are angry and calling for Deano's head, although does seem the problems have started way before then. Hull are doing their very best to blow promotion, they looked certain a couple weeks ago but now they are being reeled in by Watford. Big win for Huddersfield today virtually secures their own survival. The last play off spot is still very much open.
Think also bad luck to Scunny, won their own game but unfortunately Colchester also won sending Scunny down to League 2. Rotherham are up to League one, and it is awful luck for Aldershot (well they were virtually down anyway) and also to Barnet.
I have never felt this depressed about football. Today was horrible. I'd rather lose 7-0 than lose like that. We were by far the better team all match. They just sat back and defended. No idea why Trotta took the penalty. O'Connor, the captain, who's been with us 14 years, was down to take it. But he let Trotta have it. And that happened.

I feel utterly sick.
Original post by Jangrafess
I have never felt this depressed about football. Today was horrible. I'd rather lose 7-0 than lose like that. We were by far the better team all match. They just sat back and defended. No idea why Trotta took the penalty. O'Connor, the captain, who's been with us 14 years, was down to take it. But he let Trotta have it. And that happened.

I feel utterly sick.

I can only hope you are in the league above us next season now. I hear Rosler was fuming with the decision of who to take the penalty! I can only relate it a Bit like Gyan missing in the world cup last kick for Ghana :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Also: I absolutely ****ing hate the play-offs. Seventh time in them. Fourth time that we've finished third. We've never won them and I can't see it happening again. We won't go up. I hate them so much.
Original post by little_wizard123
Luckily this wasn't me, if it was I'd have gone mental.

Oh yeah I heard about that, they were joking about it on Gillette Soccer Saturday, so much money all snatched away because of one goal. The inch of a crossbar can really make a significant difference, and a cruel one too. Also, I wonder what Bournemouth were like after hearing that doncastor scored. They were going up as champions till that late shocking finale at griffin park. But Eddie Howe (the manager) seemed alright and claimed he didn't have any regrets as Bournemouth were still promoted anyway.

Also, does anyone know if Doncastor got their league 1 title celebration in the end?
Also: I absolutely ****ing hate the play-offs. Seventh time in them. Fourth time that we've finished third. We've never won them and I can't see it happening again. We won't go up. I hate them so much.

Your a Brentford fan, damn you must be pissed. But what would be awesome is if you guys reshape and get ready for the play-offs and beat Swindon. Then go out to Wembley and win and be granted with silverware. Then you have the opportunity to face Doncastor again next season. Now what would be epic is if you are facing them in the late stages of the season (final day or week before the final day) and it's the battle between the two for relegation. And then rovers get a late pen which they seem likely to score but then they miss and then Brentford score on the counter attack in the exact same fashion and snatch it. Thus relegating Doncaster back to league 1, think about that, sweet revenge! You gotta focus on the future now and put the pain behind you. Championship promotion is still a possibility, just 3 more games for you guys to get through.
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Oh yeah I heard about that, they were joking about it on Gillette Soccer Saturday, so much money all snatched away because of one goal. The inch of a crossbar can really make a significant difference, and a cruel one too. Also, I wonder what Bournemouth were like after hearing that doncastor scored. They were going up as champions till that late shocking finale at griffin park. But Eddie Howe (the manager) seemed alright and claimed he didn't have any regrets as Bournemouth were still promoted anyway.

Also, does anyone know if Doncastor got their league 1 title celebration in the end?

Don't think Bournemouth fans would have minded too much, they would have been more than happy enough to go up, especially a few years ago they were bankrupt and nearly relegated out of the football league when they started the season on -15 points.
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Your a Brentford fan, damn you must be pissed. But what would be awesome is if you guys reshape and get ready for the play-offs and beat Swindon. Then go out to Wembley and win and be granted with silverware. Then you have the opportunity to face Doncastor again next season. Now what would be epic is if you are facing them in the late stages of the season (final day or week before the final day) and it's the battle between the two for relegation. And then rovers get a late pen which they seem likely to score but then they miss and then Brentford score on the counter attack in the exact same fashion and snatch it. Thus relegating Doncaster back to league 1, think about that, sweet revenge! You gotta focus on the future now and put the pain behind you. Championship promotion is still a possibility, just 3 more games for you guys to get through.

Meh. I don't begrudge Doncaster Rovers really. It could have happened no matter who we were playing. We Brentforded it up. I'd much much rather we get mid-table next season if we go up and there's teams I'd much rather relegate than Rovers.

The thing is, we won't go up in the play-offs. The whole team must be crushed after today. I'd much rather be Yeovil, Swindon or even Sheffield United today. Much less immediate heartbreak for them, and although Sheffield United's play-off record is nearly as bad as ours, they didn't have today happen to them. Yeovil or Swindon will go up.
Apparently Southend United brought in Jeremy Kyle to do their team talk today. The ****.
Reply 8534
Original post by MonsterMorris
My predictions for the Championship:

Watford to get the automatic promotion spot. (I think Hull will be very nervous)

Dougie Freedman to face his old club Palace in the play off final and win.

Wolves and Peterborough to go down with Bristol.

This has been a crazy Championship, especially being a Bolton fan (spending the first half of the season being in the bottom six) This is the first season my team have been in the Championship whilst supporting them and I have got to say, in my honest opinion, it is a much more entertaining league than the Premier League!

Because we win more games in the championship? :biggrin:
Meh. I don't begrudge Doncaster Rovers really. It could have happened no matter who we were playing. We Brentforded it up. I'd much much rather we get mid-table next season if we go up and there's teams I'd much rather relegate than Rovers.

The thing is, we won't go up in the play-offs. The whole team must be crushed after today. I'd much rather be Yeovil, Swindon or even Sheffield United today. Much less immediate heartbreak for them, and although Sheffield United's play-off record is nearly as bad as ours, they didn't have today happen to them. Yeovil or Swindon will go up.

I would kill for my team to be third. No top 6 finish in any league since 1970 (or 1967), and can't even manage a top half finish in League 1. At least we have a derby with the dingles to look forward to next season.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Midlander
I would kill for my team to be third. No top 6 finish in any league since 1970 (or 1967), and can't even manage a top half finish in League 1. At least we have a derby with the dingles to look forward to next season.

You would not kill for that minute of play at the end of today! Enough to depress anyone. Also our glory days were 70+ years ago, I'm allowed to be a little upset with today. :p:
You would not kill for that minute of play at the end of today! Enough to depress anyone. Also our glory days were 70+ years ago, I'm allowed to be a little upset with today. :p:

Don't deny that but supporting Coventry means we're never good enough to have a chance in the first place :tongue: Imagine though-no top 6 finish in over 40 years. How patient must one be?!

I feel utterly sick.

Hugs! Thought it was only the Blades that f***** it up like that!

Still, the lads will bounce back and win the play offs. You heard it hear first!
Leyton Orient offering free season ticketS!!! Check out there website lol.

Latest