The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tomic defends his pitiful R2 from last year, hopefully he can have a run. Nikishor and Raonic also into R3.

Hopefully one of these young guns can take Nadal on in the final.
Who has seen the exciting development plans for Wimbledon and the next 10-20 years?

A roof on Court 1 is probably the most significant of it all, but they are planning A LOT of ambitious stuff - the whole grounds are pretty much getting reworked.

Highly recommend watching this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Em0k3Kih0
Wow, how much is that all going to cost? The roof over centre was over £100 million :/ although it does look impressive :smile: can't wait for this years Wimbledon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Love the plans, very... English.

Had no idea there were clay courts.
Had an amazing match with a friend yesterday. Was quite out of practice, so quality was meh, especially in the catastrophic 5th set (we were both so tired that every single shot was a either a lob or a dropshot), but it was great fun and I won after saving 2 MPs in the 4th set tiebreak, so that's always good! Score was 6-7(6) 4-6 6-1 7-6(6) 6-2.

First set was just both of us getting into gear. My serve is absolutely dire but my R.o.S is pretty good, and he was basically the exact opposite. Result was we both converted 3 break points each, went into a tiebreaker. I had 3 sets points from 5-2 onwards, but I pulled a full Dimitrov and double faulted twice before netting the third one :colondollar:. Second set we'd both settled in, just the one break at 4-4. It was pretty tight but I went for some silly shots. Third set I went on a godly rampage from 1-1 and won the next 5 games to take the set, before immediately getting broken in the first game of the next set and only managing to break back at 5-4 (so close!!). Went into the tiebreak, saved 1 MP at 6-4 and another at 6-5 then took the tiebreak 8-6 with some rather nice play. After that in the fifth set we were so tired it was just awful :lol:. Every single shot was a UE, basically, and we weren't going for shots either, just trying to put the ball where the other person couldn't be arsed to run for it. My friend's serve basically disappeared at that point through arm cramp, so I took an early and probably undeserved 4-0 and then just held it out from there, anticlimatically.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TopHat
Had an amazing match with a friend yesterday. Was quite out of practice, so quality was meh, especially in the catastrophic 5th set (we were both so tired that every single shot was a either a lob or a dropshot), but it was great fun and I won after saving 2 MPs in the 4th set tiebreak, so that's always good! Score was 6-7(6) 4-6 6-1 7-6(6) 6-2.

First set was just both of us getting into gear. My serve is absolutely dire but my R.o.S is pretty good, and he was basically the exact opposite. Result was we both converted 3 break points each, went into a tiebreaker. I had 3 sets points from 5-2 onwards, but I pulled a full Dimitrov and double faulted twice before netting the third one :colondollar:. Second set we'd both settled in, just the one break at 4-4. It was pretty tight but I went for some silly shots. Third set I went on a godly rampage from 1-1 and won the next 5 games to take the set, before immediately getting broken in the first game of the next set and only managing to break back at 5-4 (so close!!). Went into the tiebreak, saved 1 MP at 6-4 and another at 6-5 then took the tiebreak 8-6 with some rather nice play. After that in the fifth set we were so tired it was just awful :lol:. Every single shot was a UE, basically, and we weren't going for shots either, just trying to put the ball where the other person couldn't be arsed to run for it. My friend's serve basically disappeared at that point through arm cramp, so I took an early and probably undeserved 4-0 and then just held it out from there, anticlimatically.

Sounds fun but exhausting :tongue: How long did the match last?
Most of the day. We went out early morning and came back late afternoon, so I'd guess 5 hours or so.
Sadly i doubt i'm currently fit enough to last much more than a tie breaker set.

It's something i really want to get back into though.
I agree - that is a mammoth match! I tend to only play doubles now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me, we were not fit enough either - I cannot emphasize how **** the 5th set was! :tongue:
Well luckily for me 4th and 5th sets are never an option :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaurenB16
Well luckily for me 4th and 5th sets are never an option :smile:

And that's why you should be paid less. :wink:

Jokes.
Original post by TopHat
And that's why you should be paid less. :wink:

Jokes.

I can see your point tbh....but they do put in the same amount of training :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TopHat
Trust me, we were not fit enough either - I cannot emphasize how **** the 5th set was! :tongue:

Did you give the ball lots of air time in the 5th to get your breaths back :tongue:
Reply 1294
6th Final in a row now for Nadal.
Original post by TopHat

Sounds like an awesome match :smile:

I played a similar one against a 5.2 ranked player today; I believe the score was 7-6, 6-7, 1-6, 6-3, 6-1. No breaks of serve at all in the first two sets, then he broke twice in the third to take it 6-1, I raced into a 5-0 lead in the fourth but got pegged back a little, and then we were running close to empty in the fifth, but I managed to get in 3 breaks of serve (purely because he went for too much on his 1st services)!

The first set tie-break was epic actually: he had 4 set points at 6-2 (had he converted, I could have lost in straight sets!) I then had a few look-ins but finally won the set after he hooked an awkward return into the net for 16-14.
Second-set tie-break was one-way traffic; he killed me with his serving (7-2).
Third set: he played well and hit some great backhands - I got thrashed.
Fourth set - I rediscovered my left-handed serve out wide and my forehand down the line and hit eight straight winners off the forehand side :tongue:
Fifth set - as above, got the first break for 2-1 thanks to a double fault, 2nd break for 4-1 with a backhand winner and closed out the match with a powerful return combo and a smash winner.

Need to win one more match against someone with a higher rating for my own to improve...
(edited 10 years ago)
The giantkiller Rosol beat Simon 6-2, 6-3 to set up a final against Garcia-Lopez in Romania & obviously we have Nadal vs Almagro in Barcelona.
Reply 1297
Been away from TSR for a while and i come back to a whole new layout!! :wink: 6th Final for Rafa, nice! I expect Almagro to provide a tough match
Reply 1298
Original post by Multitalented me
The giantkiller Rosol beat Simon 6-2, 6-3 to set up a final against Garcia-Lopez in Romania & obviously we have Nadal vs Almagro in Barcelona.

Two tasty finals

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1299
Lukas "The Nadal Slayer" Rosol beat Garcia-Lopez 63 62 to claim his first title.

Latest