The Student Room Group

What is the best university in the United States?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sammydemon
Almost everything is poorer quality than in Europe, especially the food and it's a country with a military economy that's more concerned about making money than the lives of the people.

Have you been before?

Yes, I have family there and I have been many times. I will hopefully be getting my duel citizenship arranged next trip (in 2 months). I think it's an amazing country, I absolutely love it and surely the OP should be able to make that decision themselves.
Original post by Sammydemon
Almost everything is poorer quality than in Europe, especially the food and it's a country with a military economy that's more concerned about making money than the lives of the people.

Have you been before?

I totally agree with you here. The food quality in North American in general is poor in comparison to Europe. I think it's the fact that they don't have strict requirements and take quality into consideration like Europe does and the use of genetically-modified foods (GMO) makes food tasteless and of a mediocre quality in North America.
Original post by zero_Gravity91
I totally agree with you here. The food quality in North American in general is poor in comparison to Europe. I think it's the fact that they don't have strict requirements and take quality into consideration like Europe does and the use of genetically-modified foods (GMO) makes food tasteless and of a mediocre quality in North America.

You mean as opposed to our widespread use of horse meat as a cheaper alternative? America started being a bit more careful with the food, for example they've banned trans fat, but I wouldn't say European food is great in comparison, I wouldn't even class it as good.
Original post by zero_Gravity91

Yeh, because manufacturers are genetically modifying food to taste worst. Seriously, there's no reason to be against GM foods. Maybe the US does have poorer quality food, but not because it's GM.
Reply 24
Re the food note... I've never been to Europe, but when I was talking to one of my Estonian friends who was visiting, she was complaining about how here in the US all the stuff that's natural and good for you is expensive and the stuff that's terrible for you is cheap. Thought that was interesting.
Original post by Lencias
Re the food note... I've never been to Europe, but when I was talking to one of my Estonian friends who was visiting, she was complaining about how here in the US all the stuff that's natural and good for you is expensive and the stuff that's terrible for you is cheap. Thought that was interesting.

I've had that rant so many times about the UK, all the cheap stuff is generally unhealthy because it's so cheap to produce eg chicken nuggets pumped full of water, horse meat passed off as beef, battery farming etc. The canteen where I work charges twice as much for a small salad than it does for a plate of chips and I work in a hospital. Generally I find buying fresh ingredients is cheap-ish and cooking from scratch solves the problem, which is what I always do out in the US.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RachaelBee
You mean as opposed to our widespread use of horse meat as a cheaper alternative? America started being a bit more careful with the food, for example they've banned trans fat, but I wouldn't say European food is great in comparison, I wouldn't even class it as good.

It is true to some extent that America is starting to be careful with food, but the food industry is still allowed to get away with loopholes dealing with food quality regulations, especially with GMOs and the unregulated use of the use of corn syrup (labelled as glucose-fructose) in a lot of foods. Personally, I think this is worse than the incident with horsemeat.
Original post by PythianLegume
Yeh, because manufacturers are genetically modifying food to taste worst. Seriously, there's no reason to be against GM foods. Maybe the US does have poorer quality food, but not because it's GM.

Yeah, that might be true, but I feel that the fact that the EU bans GMOs correlates to the better quality of food in the EU. That's just my opinion. It is also true that the US has poorer food quality, especially since they deal with such a huge demand for meat and vegetables and relying more on imports to fuel their domestic consumption. Meanwhile, food in the EU is more expensive than the US, but with better food quality. Sometimes, you can get the same items at the same price with better quality in the EU (I think this is the case with fruits in particular).
Reply 28
Original post by becimarie
Whilst I couldn't judge schools without looking into them more, I feel i hVe to remind you that you study lots of topics and subjects in a us college, and its not till junior year you even have to firmly decide on a major.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At US universities, you declare your major as a second semester sophomore, not junior year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm interested in U.S. Universities as i think id like studying a wide range of stuff to get a feel for different things (and i like their college education system in general) Which ones would you people think are best for undergrad economics? And is it better to go to the U.S. or stay in the UK (in terms of prestiege and finding a job afterwards that may not be in the UK or USA)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by H_Aple
I'm interested in U.S. Universities as i think id like studying a wide range of stuff to get a feel for different things (and i like their college education system in general) Which ones would you people think are best for undergrad economics? And is it better to go to the U.S. or stay in the UK (in terms of prestiege and finding a job afterwards that may not be in the UK or USA)?

Age old question: Where do you want to work?
For Economics, obviously Harvard, University of Chicago, MIT, University of Pennsylvania, Stanford University, Princeton, Yale and Columbia.

Bear in mind, these are ridiculously competitive to get into, so you really need to be both a top student and a well-rounded individual. Also, will you need financial aid? If you will check out my sticky for more info on that.
YALE
Original post by cheese-lemming
YALE

Did you apply/ have you applied for Yale? I'm applying next year.
Original post by Princepieman
Did you apply/ have you applied for Yale? I'm applying next year.

I start in September :smile:
PM me if you have questions
Original post by cheese-lemming
I start in September :smile:
PM me if you have questions

CONGRATZ!!! :woo::woo::woo: How did it feel when you got in? I'll definitely be asking you some questions, hope I don't spam your inbox :wink:
Original post by Princepieman
CONGRATZ!!! :woo::woo::woo: How did it feel when you got in? I'll definitely be asking you some questions, hope I don't spam your inbox :wink:

Haha thanks... I fell off my chair I was so shocked!!
And don't worry, but I don't know if I'll be any help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending