The Student Room Group

OCR MEI AS Further Mathematics FP1 13/05/2013 PM

As the title says, this thread is for everyone taking FP1 exam on the 13th of May! How do you guys revise for it? What's your favourite chapter? Personally I love rational functions <3
EXACTLY ONE MONTH AND A FEW HOURS LEFT!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really don't like series
Reply 2
Original post by askingamy
I really don't like series

ME TOO!!!
Reply 3
I personally really like Matrices, Graphs and Inequalities, Identities and roots of polynomials but hate the proof by induction, what other modules are you doing? I'm doing D1 and NM1.
Reply 4
Original post by Jackb1234
I personally really like Matrices, Graphs and Inequalities, Identities and roots of polynomials but hate the proof by induction, what other modules are you doing? I'm doing D1 and NM1.

I'm doing S1 and M2 :smile:
It took me quite a while to understand sketching rational functions. I totally agree about the proof by induction, need to practice this!
Reply 5
Original post by Matt_dragon
I'm doing S1 and M2 :smile:
It took me quite a while to understand sketching rational functions. I totally agree about the proof by induction, need to practice this!

ahh, I'm doing S1 in normal maths but on Edexcel, so boring! :yawn::yawn:
What are you hoping to get in FP1?
Reply 6
ahh, I'm doing S1 in normal maths but on Edexcel, so boring! :yawn::yawn:
What are you hoping to get in FP1?

I'm doing M1 in normal maths xD
S1 is cool, but really time consuming. I really want an A in FP1 though, but all them proof by induction questions really trip me up :/ Best of luck to you! :smile:
Reply 7
I'm doing M1 in normal maths xD
S1 is cool, but really time consuming. I really want an A in FP1 though, but all them proof by induction questions really trip me up :/ Best of luck to you! :smile:

I can't wait to do M1 because I do Physics too!
Yeah, some of S1 is really simple, which I love! :biggrin:
I want an A in FP1 as well! They're pretty tricky but the FP1 grade boundary for an A is normally pretty low :tongue: Good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 8
Getting really anxious about this exam :frown:
Reply 9
I have M1 and FP1 on Monday so 3 hours horay but so scared for FP1 hopefully it'll be a nice paper
Reply 10
Original post by chriselle15
I have M1 and FP1 on Monday so 3 hours horay but so scared for FP1 hopefully it'll be a nice paper

As long as it's not series and induction heavy, then I'll be fine!
Reply 11
I can't wait to do M1 because I do Physics too!
Yeah, some of S1 is really simple, which I love! :biggrin:
I want an A in FP1 as well! They're pretty tricky but the FP1 grade boundary for an A is normally pretty low :tongue: Good luck to you too! :smile:

I wouldn't rely on grade boundaries, apart from Jan 2013, most of the time they increase the grade boundaries rather than lower them from the usual 80% mark for an A. :frown:
Mostly because of A2 retaking and skewing the results.

I've done all the past papers for FP1 but just cannot get myself to read off the official textbook. That book is so bad it makes you want to cry trying to read it. It always explains how to do the easy questions and then proceeds to give you questions that seem alien.
If the paper is similar to past papers then I think I will do alright but if there are some of the more unusual questions then it will be luck based.

It doesn't help that we'll be doing FP1 5 minutes after C1 :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by dada55
I wouldn't rely on grade boundaries, apart from Jan 2013, most of the time they increase the grade boundaries rather than lower them from the usual 80% mark for an A. :frown:
Mostly because of A2 retaking and skewing the results.

I've done all the past papers for FP1 but just cannot get myself to read off the official textbook. That book is so bad it makes you want to cry trying to read it. It always explains how to do the easy questions and then proceeds to give you questions that seem alien.
If the paper is similar to past papers then I think I will do alright but if there are some of the more unusual questions then it will be luck based.

It doesn't help that we'll be doing FP1 5 minutes after C1 :s-smilie:

I couldn't agree more. The book is horrid. I've been practically teaching myself watching Youtube tutorials XD
I haven't done any past papers yet, but I'm starting at 6 tomorrow and plan to spend on them all day. I've been extremely busy with my other subjects though hence I left past papers till last minute! FP1 is okay, I just hate series and proof by induction.

Haha, I'm sitting C1 at 1pm, and FP1 at 2.45 I love my school for giving me a 15minute break in between those exams :biggrin:

I kinda loved the grade boundary for jan 2013 paper xD It was ridiculously hard. I think the perfect boundary for an A would be 54/72 in FP1.

Best of luck to you and the rest!! :smile:
Reply 13
I keep getting around 50-60 in Past Papers, just keep messing up on the Proof by Induction and Argand Diagram questions...
Got 3 more past papers to do tomorrow, good luck to everyone taking this exam, hopefully it'll be a nice one after that awful one in January!
Reply 14
I couldn't agree more. The book is horrid. I've been practically teaching myself watching Youtube tutorials XD
I haven't done any past papers yet, but I'm starting at 6 tomorrow and plan to spend on them all day. I've been extremely busy with my other subjects though hence I left past papers till last minute! FP1 is okay, I just hate series and proof by induction.

Haha, I'm sitting C1 at 1pm, and FP1 at 2.45 I love my school for giving me a 15minute break in between those exams :biggrin:

I kinda loved the grade boundary for jan 2013 paper xD It was ridiculously hard. I think the perfect boundary for an A would be 54/72 in FP1.

Best of luck to you and the rest!! :smile:

Thanks, good luck to you too and everyone else taking the test.

You've left past papers a bit late :P, it might be just me but especially for maths I tend to only revise from past papers but as long as you know all the content you will be fine.
I would recommend doing the January 2013, Jan 2012 as they both got a relatively hard proof by induction question. Depending on how many you want to do, continue from 2012 down as the first papers were easier and they got harder by the year. :s-smilie:

To be honest, I'm slightly more worried about the proof questions in C1 than proof by induction, They are sometimes so confusing as to what or how they actually want you to prove something whereas proof by induction is just making sure you get your algebra right.
Reply 15
The past papers are awful :frown: I can't seem to go beyond 46 marks :frown:
Reply 16
I really hope tomorrow's paper is like the June2012 exam, just got 70/72 on it!
Right then, how did everyone find that? :smile:
Reply 18
I don't think i was that hard but saying that I was continually was making silly mistakes. Are we allowed to try and get a mark scheme or discuss questions yet?
I thought that one was really easy, better than the recent past papers.

Only thing I didn't like was the last question about matrix transformations. I think I managed it, but we'll see.
What's the proper definition of a singular matrix? I put "a transformation that can't be reversed to the original point"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending