The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddyman4
The Victorian Clara didn't act Victorian in any real way though, so what would be the point in keeping her? It would be exactly like having a 21st Century Clara apart from she'd ask a few more questions.

Agreed.

I did rather enjoy last nights ep.

Clara is still growing on me. I am glad that they stopped killer her off as reintroducing the same character got old quickly.
Original post by snowyowl
Of course, there's always the possibility that the Tardis put it somewhere where Clara could read it. Although I'm not sure why it would do that.

Yeah that would be odd. Especially considering the TARDIS doesn't 'like' Clara. Perhaps since the TARDIS was having a 'tantrum' it got things a bit mixed up and wouldn't normally allow someone other than the Doctor into the library.
Reply 742
i persoanlly was dissapointed with the episode :/ I loved the idea of exploring the TARDIS, but i really, really hated the crew members and just how nice the doctor was to them. Granted, this is a kids show, but if soemone wrecked my ship, would rather blasto ut my crewmate to deep space then help after causing the damage in the first place, then attempted to scalvage it by cutting out parts id knock them out pretty fast. even more so when i find out

Spoiler

and that ending. eurgh. least the lead up to it with claras hand was a nice bit of intrigue

and hooray seems like the scooby gang is back next week
Original post by RedDevilThing
Either they're tied or Rory is ahead, I think.
I think any more than one more Clara death would've been too much, but it might have made the series interesting and come as a surprise. I'm really not too fussed though.

Considering that Rory died 3 times in his last episode, I have to say Rory is completely in the lead. Clara isn't really close to him.
Reply 744
Original post by SirMasterKey
Considering that Rory died 3 times in his last episode, I have to say Rory is completely in the lead. Clara isn't really close to him.

:ditto:

Clara's only died twice (... so far)
Or I guess three times if you count the future that was leaking through :dontknow:
Original post by F257
i persoanlly was dissapointed with the episode :/ I loved the idea of exploring the TARDIS, but i really, really hated the crew members and just how nice the doctor was to them. Granted, this is a kids show, but if soemone wrecked my ship, would rather blasto ut my crewmate to deep space then help after causing the damage in the first place, then attempted to scalvage it by cutting out parts id knock them out pretty fast. even more so when i find out

Spoiler

and that ending. eurgh. least the lead up to it with claras hand was a nice bit of intrigue

and hooray seems like the scooby gang is back next week

I quite liked the dark and manipulative side of the Doctor. Was disappointed when it turned out to be a sham. I didn't think he would hurt the salvagers but at least he could have tried to protect the TARDIS. When their leader took the changeable metal 'egg' thing I was pissed, but all he did was ask him nicely to put it back, which obviously didn't work.
Reply 746
Original post by Mr.Messy
I quite liked the dark and manipulative side of the Doctor. Was disappointed when it turned out to be a sham. I didn't think he would hurt the salvagers but at least he could have tried to protect the TARDIS. When their leader took the changeable metal 'egg' thing I was pissed, but all he did was ask him nicely to put it back, which obviously didn't work.

If the Doctor can't even stop some ignorant dick from hurting the TARDIS, then why do any of the massive and dangerous monsters actually give a ****? The Doctor should either beat people through intelligence or power, not just a speech saying 'obviously I am boss / love conquers all - erm can you stop pretty please'.
Reply 747
When clara had that hand injury and was blowing on her hand i immediately thought of The Empty Child where rose hurt her
hand hanging onto the rope at the beginning. Thought that was another subtle hint but turned out to be significant at the end :/
Original post by jahmet
When clara had that hand injury and was blowing on her hand i immediately thought of The Empty Child where rose hurt her
hand hanging onto the rope at the beginning. Thought that was another subtle hint but turned out to be significant at the end :/

Oh come on! I know we're all desperate for Rose hints but that is really going too far! What's next - people noticing that Clara blinked at the same speed Rose did in one episode? No offence but it is getting a little silly now :rolleyes:
So far series 7b has actually really surprised me with regards to its quality. Series 7a had been a bit underwhelming for me, but I think Clara adds a nice new dynamic to the show. I'd also been worried that "the only mystery worth solving" story arc risked making Clara more of a plot device than an actual character [which Moffat tends to be at the risk of doing] but Clara's actually a really well-rounded, likeable character :smile: Also, I really loved the latest episode, even if I'm not too keen on the really dark plotlines...
Reply 750
Did the monsters in this episode remind anyone of the Amnesia monster? The part in the library bought back bad memories, especially with the blurry effect :ashamed2:
Reply 751
Original post by Dragonrage973
Oh come on! I know we're all desperate for Rose hints but that is really going too far! What's next - people noticing that Clara blinked at the same speed Rose did in one episode? No offence but it is getting a little silly now :rolleyes:

It's not that I was obsessively looking over everything she did and said it's just they were making such a big deal out of her little injury which just felt suspicious until the end.
Loved that episode, glad to have a return to form. And I loved getting to see different bits of the Tardis, it's frustrating that they spend so much time just showing us the main control deck. Loved hearing the snippets of old doctors and companions :biggrin:

Also a Rose-ish reference in the shot of the observatory, which was just like the one in the house with the werewolf and Queen Victoria.
Reply 753
Jenna-Louise Coleman has said

Spoiler

Original post by JoshL123
I can't stop watching this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8g5BrLm7uQ

That's awesome! It seems fan made videos are often better than the actual trailers. For instance this intro theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PKomuwyJVE&feature=fvwrel is much better IMO than the current official one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGbsNIZ-uo.

Original post by chernid
Jenna-Louise Coleman has said

Spoiler

Speculation re Clara:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 755
What if the little cot that we thought was the Doctor's - was Clara's?! :O
Original post by Dragonrage973

So says the person who was doing exactly the same thing 2 episodes ago. Very childish to go round negging everyone who posted Rose hints when you did exactly the same yourself.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2304512&page=23&p=42215021#post42215021
Reply 757
Hmm... perhaps it would be good if we stop comparing between characters like who is better - but rather discuss more of what we like of each character? So far, for me, it is very hard to say about Clara as she's still a mystery and I remain cautious of her character...
Original post by Mafer
Hmm... perhaps it would be good if we stop comparing between characters like who is better - but rather discuss more of what we like of each character? So far, for me, it is very hard to say about Clara as she's still a mystery and I remain cautious of her character...

I really like her outfits. Like if I could steal her wardrobe I would.

Plus my friend swears I look like her which I take as a massive compliment!
I feel like I don't really know Clara's character yet. She's been in 5 episodes (as the most recent incarnation) and I feel like she's still a little out of reach, not quite a fully drawn character, though I can't quite put my finger on why...

Quick Reply