The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by hafzaaa
WELL, accommodation will cost a BOMB in London, like over 6 grand!

I need to pay my phone bill, clothes and travel, which would leave me with (if I am lucky) 25 quid a week for food AND going out, I gotta get saving right now!

How much do you spend per week on going out?
£20 a week. Don't even care.
I've done a lot of saving in my gap year, so roughly £50 pw. But that doesn't factor in trips home, Christmas etc.
Reply 303
Original post by vaguity
My parents are financially supporting me and I'll still only have like £80-90 a week (with the cheaper end accommodation too, no en-suites for me sigh)I think though, it can work out as quite good for your independence if you're in a position like mine, because you're kinda forced to budget and get a job and I think that'll help me. Of course, if your parents can't support you enough (seriously, forking out like £2000 a year is going to be difficult even if they earn a decent amount bc like mine get child benefit for me and they obv wont get that, and my stupid sister costs them a fortune grr) and your uni isn't in a city, then I can see why that would be hard :/ But if you're in a city then you can get a job and have some financial independence from them, which is a good...it's like cruel love!

I already have a job so I'm not a stranger to budgetting and knowing the value of a quid and all that :wink: I think it's good if you have a job before you go, teaches you to be smarter about what you're spending when you know how many hours you had to work to earn £20 or whatever!
Reply 304
Original post by ainiis
How much do you spend per week on going out?

I dont drink so that should save me a lot plus I am going to be a nursing student so gunna have strange shift hrs, don't even see myself going out at all :frown:

I would only need to pay entry fees tbh
Reply 305
Original post by BioIz
I already have a job so I'm not a stranger to budgetting and knowing the value of a quid and all that :wink: I think it's good if you have a job before you go, teaches you to be smarter about what you're spending when you know how many hours you had to work to earn £20 or whatever!

I agree that having a job is good before going to uni, but I still know people with jobs that will just blow their money on things they don't need in the first week, then struggle by, complaining about money until the next pay day! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 306
Original post by hafzaaa
I dont drink so that should save me a lot plus I am going to be a nursing student so gunna have strange shift hrs, don't even see myself going out at all :frown:

I would only need to pay entry fees tbh

I am a bit like you. I don't drink either, so i'll be only paying entry fees.

I have a question though, I know that you have to pay an entry fee for clubs, but is it for bars and pubs too?
The entry fee for clubs is normally 5pounds right? :tongue:
Reply 307
I live off around £25 a week, but my boyfriends student stuff hardly covers his rent :/
Reply 308
Original post by ainiis
I am a bit like you. I don't drink either, so i'll be only paying entry fees.

I have a question though, I know that you have to pay an entry fee for clubs, but is it for bars and pubs too?
The entry fee for clubs is normally 5pounds right? :tongue:

Im sure all pubs are free to go in and most bars!

Yeah they can range from like £1 to £15 depends how popular the place is and when u go
Reply 309
Original post by rstar28
I agree that having a job is good before going to uni, but I still know people with jobs that will just blow their money on things they don't need in the first week, then struggle by, complaining about money until the next pay day! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah same, I think being too young to go out drinking works out in my favour... I know people who go out two or three times a week... That's not a cheap habit to maintain!
Original post by BioIz

I don't even have a job, my parents used to just give me my child benefit, which was like £15, but I'm really tight with money and the only thing I really spend it on was food and bus fare. Like all my friends who work won't batter an eyelid at spend like £120 on a shopping trip, but with me I'm like "I want that, but I don't need it" which'll probably come in useful, I hardly every buy anything!
Reply 311
Original post by vaguity
I don't even have a job, my parents used to just give me my child benefit, which was like £15, but I'm really tight with money and the only thing I really spend it on was food and bus fare. Like all my friends who work won't batter an eyelid at spend like £120 on a shopping trip, but with me I'm like "I want that, but I don't need it" which'll probably come in useful, I hardly every buy anything!

EXACTLY LIKE ME I have found a kindred spirit, my friends think it's funny that I'm so frugal and I split my pay packets between my savings account and my current account every week. I'm like, let's see who's laughing when you've run out of money at uni and I have the savings I set up as a 17 year old to fall back on xD
Reply 312
-£10 per week. Oh the joys of a maintenance loan that doesn't even cover the accommodation fees.
How much do you need to survive a week?
I mean food and basic stuff outside of London.
I get the basic maintenance loan - £3550. But my parents are topping it up to the full £5500 that others may get and are paying my accommodation so i will be on £105 a week or £458 a month

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 315
Well my maintenance loan doesn't even cover my accommodation (I get a 3500 loan)! So I will not be spending that much. Although the accommodation I am applying for is part-catered so I get £25 to spend on food in the uni canteen, but I'll still need money for other things such as travel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 316
About £300 a week after paying for accommodation. I really doubt I'm going to be spending all of that...

The question is: is it better to keep the spare money (maybe in a low risk investment that keeps up with the interest) or to not take a loan in the first place?
Reply 317
£35 a week once accommodation is paid for (which is 84 a week). I've got £500 ISA savings to dip into if necessary. I'm used to living on a budget...there's 7 on us living on a salary of 12K a year. I could take out a bigger loan and have more to live on, but I've decided against it....£35 should be plenty for food and basic travel. I don't drink alcohol for medical reasons, so that should bring the cost of living down a little :wink:. And that £35 doesn't include trips home...I've already calculated those costs separately from my living budget.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 318
Original post by petite fille
£100- £125 a week, which I'll need as I'll be studying in London

I'm sorry what?
I've been studying in London for the past 3 years and I've neve spent that much in a week apart from freshers week and that had a £50 uni trip cost thrown in. You can easily easily have a brilliant time on half that.
Reply 319
I live at home, so if I divide my student loan by 14 (the amount of weeks per semester), I have £142 a week to live off. It cost me about £40 to commute to University and back.

Plus I have a part time job, bringing in about £70 a week :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending