The Student Room Group

Was a thread about car insurance...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
So your fixed price was 3k? How much did you get paid back on average per year? (or on your first year, rather).

Well it was, but 2 months later i changed cars so my premium went up so i guess it would be pretty much £3700 for the whole year.

I've only got one payment so far because im only 4 months into the policy, i would expect to get around £140 give/take for the next 3 payments so all together i expect to get approx £557 but obviously it depends on my driving
Original post by NatashaLee
Well it was, but 2 months later i changed cars so my premium went up so i guess it would be pretty much £3700 for the whole year.

I've only got one payment so far because im only 4 months into the policy, i would expect to get around £140 give/take for the next 3 payments so all together i expect to get approx £557 but obviously it depends on my driving

hmm that's not too bad then, the VW Polo's I'll be looking for are in a low insurance group which is pretty satisfying. You were saying that your car is a corsa? They are roughly in the same insurance group I'm imagining.

I bet you can't wait to build your NCB so you can scrap the blackbox in the future! hah
Original post by James A
hmm that's not too bad then, the VW Polo's I'll be looking for are in a low insurance group which is pretty satisfying. You were saying that your car is a corsa? They are roughly in the same insurance group I'm imagining.

I bet you can't wait to build your NCB so you can scrap the blackbox in the future! hah

I quite like the polo's, nice cars :smile: and yeah i should imagine they'll be pretty much the same, i mean i know the Corsa isn't the cheapest to insure but i love my car and for now wouldn't want to go with anything different just because its a bit cheaper

and yeah i think i'll try get away from the black box next year if the price was right, if my current insurance company was the cheapest on re-newel then i'd probably stick with them for another year, they're not that bad, but i don't think i'd like to go for a different black box insurance company tbh
I quite like the polo's, nice cars :smile: and yeah i should imagine they'll be pretty much the same, i mean i know the Corsa isn't the cheapest to insure but i love my car and for now wouldn't want to go with anything different just because its a bit cheaper

and yeah i think i'll try get away from the black box next year if the price was right, if my current insurance company was the cheapest on re-newel then i'd probably stick with them for another year, they're not that bad, but i don't think i'd like to go for a different black box insurance company tbh

hmmm who's the insurance with? :tongue:
Original post by James A

It's called Carrot Insurance, not one you probably of herd of, tbf i hadn't herd of them until i got my insurance with them :smile:
haha sounds like a good Saturday night to me, i don't like going out in my town it's pretty crap so usually go to Leeds so we're waiting till my friend gets her new house there so we can save on taxis haha

I was getting so mad -.- I reved it up loads and finally got going but i hated that day lol, i wish i never had that car tbh, i love my corsa now everything seems easier in it compared to that C2 -.- but at least i have my car now i suppose, and well i suppose you might as well not risk it for the sake of 3 days, don't want anything bad happening

yeah well i don't think i'll be doing too many long journeys, possibly one or two but im hoping my step-dad will go fill it up for me because he was giving me a fuel card, might have to see where that got to lol and haha i can just imagine it now

Yeah they're pretty good quality too, i do prefer the ones i have now, but i only ever looked at the old ones never used them on my car. I'd just see how they got on, they'll probably be pretty good

Fair enough. I don't go clubbing that much these days, just feels the same all the time. I do like to lose my **** on the dancefloor every now and then though :cool: My mates are more into pubs these days but I find sitting around talking crap a bit boring lol. So normally I try to get us to a pub that has pool or darts so we're actually doing something. I think my ideal night out these days is going and doing something fun (bowling, snooker, ice skating, cinema or something) while having a few drinks, then going out for pizza or something else like that.

Haha, yeah that does sound annoying. Just spotted yesterday, my car doesn't have a rev counter, dunno if yours does or not? Doesn't bother me that much, I never really used it in my lessons, just learned by sound & feel.

Think I'm gonna be doing plenty of long trips to the beach this summer, as well as some of the places we used to love. We all used to be skaters when I was a teenager haha. One day soon I'm getting my brother and best mate to go to some of the old skateparks we used to go to, none of us have skated for quite a few years now so should be funny :biggrin:
That's cool, fuel isn't exactly cheap so should save you some pennies :smile:

Fair enough, might have to pick some up and see which ones I prefer the look of. Those ones look very similar to the ones my instructor had.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Fair enough. I don't go clubbing that much these days, just feels the same all the time. I do like to lose my **** on the dancefloor every now and then though :cool: My mates are more into pubs these days but I find sitting around talking crap a bit boring lol. So normally I try to get us to a pub that has pool or darts so we're actually doing something. I think my ideal night out these days is going and doing something fun (bowling, snooker, ice skating, cinema or something) while having a few drinks, then going out for pizza or something else like that.

Haha, yeah that does sound annoying. Just spotted yesterday, my car doesn't have a rev counter, dunno if yours does or not? Doesn't bother me that much, I never really used it in my lessons, just learned by sound & feel.

Think I'm gonna be doing plenty of long trips to the beach this summer, as well as some of the places we used to love. We all used to be skaters when I was a teenager haha. One day soon I'm getting my brother and best mate to go to some of the old skateparks we used to go to, none of us have skated for quite a few years now so should be funny :biggrin:
That's cool, fuel isn't exactly cheap so should save you some pennies :smile:

Fair enough, might have to pick some up and see which ones I prefer the look of. Those ones look very similar to the ones my instructor had.

yeah i don't go much, been only a few times but i did only go 18 last august and all my friends in 6th form pretty much went from October-July times because the majority of them had birthdays during that time, but i like to go out just to dance, i've never been 'off my face' or anything apart from the first time i had a proper drink at my friends house party, that was a funny ole time haha but with my uni friends we tend to go out to the cinemas then go for food afterwards, i quite like our little outings like that, i love TGI's but i cant go there without have a drink because i love their cocktails so obviously can't take the car and the closest ones in leeds

oh really, mine has one im sure, im just questioning if i had it confused as something else, but no im pretty sure it has one lol, but yeah i don't use it much you can just hear it and feel it like you said.

and sounds like a good summer planned :smile: I think i may take a trip to blackpool with my friends, maybe some theme parks if we get the chance but other than that i think i'll stay local this year, need to save money up anyways for next years insurance ):

Yeah well they aren't expensive either, even with paying for 2 sets it'll still work out pretty cheap especially for something which is gonna help you lots, i think the ones i have are pretty similar to my instructors too from what i remember
yeah i don't go much, been only a few times but i did only go 18 last august and all my friends in 6th form pretty much went from October-July times because the majority of them had birthdays during that time, but i like to go out just to dance, i've never been 'off my face' or anything apart from the first time i had a proper drink at my friends house party, that was a funny ole time haha but with my uni friends we tend to go out to the cinemas then go for food afterwards, i quite like our little outings like that, i love TGI's but i cant go there without have a drink because i love their cocktails so obviously can't take the car and the closest ones in leeds

oh really, mine has one im sure, im just questioning if i had it confused as something else, but no im pretty sure it has one lol, but yeah i don't use it much you can just hear it and feel it like you said.

and sounds like a good summer planned :smile: I think i may take a trip to blackpool with my friends, maybe some theme parks if we get the chance but other than that i think i'll stay local this year, need to save money up anyways for next years insurance ):

Yeah well they aren't expensive either, even with paying for 2 sets it'll still work out pretty cheap especially for something which is gonna help you lots, i think the ones i have are pretty similar to my instructors too from what i remember

Fair enough. I've been off my face too many times lol, some good memories and some bad memories, but the bad ones are something to laugh at. I think ever since I turned 13 I used to get drunk at family house parties. I'm normally anti-drugs, but one time when I was 14 at a new year's party, my dad's mate brought round some "hash brownies" and I saw him put them at the top of the cupboard. I was none the wiser to what was actually in them and I nicked one. I couldn't stop laughing the whole night, and also had about 8 bottles of beer, so I was just in my own little word lmao. Good memories to be fair, still wouldn't knowingly do weed though.

Yeah I thought all cars had them, apparently not though. Never mind...

Ah yeah speaking of theme parks, we're definitely planning a trip to Thorpe Park this year :biggrin: Should be funny since I'm brining my best mate along, and he's scared of the swinging boat rides hahaha. Yeah fair enough, I should start thinking about that but probably start saving up after the summer.

Yeah very cheap indeed, can't go wrong for a few quid can you :smile: Just have to see how accurate these ones are when it actually comes to parking. I like the view on them though, if I look in the normal mirror all I can really see is the front door behind me, but if I look in the mini mirror I can see the whole house, huge increase in range of vision.
Fair enough. I've been off my face too many times lol, some good memories and some bad memories, but the bad ones are something to laugh at. I think ever since I turned 13 I used to get drunk at family house parties. I'm normally anti-drugs, but one time when I was 14 at a new year's party, my dad's mate brought round some "hash brownies" and I saw him put them at the top of the cupboard. I was none the wiser to what was actually in them and I nicked one. I couldn't stop laughing the whole night, and also had about 8 bottles of beer, so I was just in my own little word lmao. Good memories to be fair, still wouldn't knowingly do weed though.

Yeah I thought all cars had them, apparently not though. Never mind...

Ah yeah speaking of theme parks, we're definitely planning a trip to Thorpe Park this year :biggrin: Should be funny since I'm brining my best mate along, and he's scared of the swinging boat rides hahaha. Yeah fair enough, I should start thinking about that but probably start saving up after the summer.

Yeah very cheap indeed, can't go wrong for a few quid can you :smile: Just have to see how accurate these ones are when it actually comes to parking. I like the view on them though, if I look in the normal mirror all I can really see is the front door behind me, but if I look in the mini mirror I can see the whole house, huge increase in range of vision.

Haha yeah the times when i've been close to it, were always house partys, i don't know why but when im out alcohol just doesn't seem to effect me in the same way, i don't mind too much though because i just love the dancing and that sounds like an eventful night haha, must of been pretty funny though :P

yeah i had that assumption, but tbf i haven't exactly been in many cars and before i started my lessons i never paid any attention to the car lol

omg i wanna go to Thorpe Park too! the saw stuff looks amazing, it's definitely on my list of places to go, the swinging boat rides make me have nose bleeds haha so I'm not a fan of them myself, yeah well i have a bit saved now but its only from my student loan, i could do with getting a job too so we'll see

and no can't go wrong, and yeah id give them a try see how you like them and yeah i love the extra view it gives you, can see so much more, it make it so much easier knowing how much space you have/where/when to turn and whatnot, as i say i think every car i have i'll get some for it haha
Haha yeah the times when i've been close to it, were always house partys, i don't know why but when im out alcohol just doesn't seem to effect me in the same way, i don't mind too much though because i just love the dancing and that sounds like an eventful night haha, must of been pretty funny though :P

yeah i had that assumption, but tbf i haven't exactly been in many cars and before i started my lessons i never paid any attention to the car lol

omg i wanna go to Thorpe Park too! the saw stuff looks amazing, it's definitely on my list of places to go, the swinging boat rides make me have nose bleeds haha so I'm not a fan of them myself, yeah well i have a bit saved now but its only from my student loan, i could do with getting a job too so we'll see

and no can't go wrong, and yeah id give them a try see how you like them and yeah i love the extra view it gives you, can see so much more, it make it so much easier knowing how much space you have/where/when to turn and whatnot, as i say i think every car i have i'll get some for it haha

Yeah I've noticed that too actually, when I'm actually out for a drink I get drunk a lot more slowly. I get drunk pretty slowly anyways but I just don't seem to get affected sometimes, until the next morning haha.
Yeah I don't remember much of the night to be honest, just had this euphoric feeling about it though. One thing I definitely remember is there being this HUGE dish of banoffee pie, I mean half the size of a dinner table, polished off about half of it myself I think haha.

Yeah I dunno, think I just assumed but didn't actually know. But yeah, no problem really.

Been a long while since I went to Thorpe Park actually, looking forward to going again, must have changed quite a bit since I last went.
Ahh unlucky :frown: We actually went on one at a fair and I think it's was a kids one as well, just didn't seem to go as high as the other ones I've been on. We got off and I was like "Mate, that's gotta be a kids one". Looked over at my mate, he was pale as a ghost hahaha. He was like "My god, I feel sick, I didn't like that" lol. Saying that, went to Chessington one a college trip once, which is a bit crap but I was in a class full of people that I always had a laugh with, turned out to be a brilliant day. We agreed to go on the swinging boat, then go get a pizza hut. We kept on having another go on the boat over and over, after nearly 10 times me all felt too sick to eat haha. So it must mess with your stomach, but one time on a kids one was weird.

Must be worth a try. It looks like the ones I've got might not give much of an accurate view. Could be wrong though, I'll have to see.
Yeah I've noticed that too actually, when I'm actually out for a drink I get drunk a lot more slowly. I get drunk pretty slowly anyways but I just don't seem to get affected sometimes, until the next morning haha.
Yeah I don't remember much of the night to be honest, just had this euphoric feeling about it though. One thing I definitely remember is there being this HUGE dish of banoffee pie, I mean half the size of a dinner table, polished off about half of it myself I think haha.

Yeah I dunno, think I just assumed but didn't actually know. But yeah, no problem really.

Been a long while since I went to Thorpe Park actually, looking forward to going again, must have changed quite a bit since I last went.
Ahh unlucky :frown: We actually went on one at a fair and I think it's was a kids one as well, just didn't seem to go as high as the other ones I've been on. We got off and I was like "Mate, that's gotta be a kids one". Looked over at my mate, he was pale as a ghost hahaha. He was like "My god, I feel sick, I didn't like that" lol. Saying that, went to Chessington one a college trip once, which is a bit crap but I was in a class full of people that I always had a laugh with, turned out to be a brilliant day. We agreed to go on the swinging boat, then go get a pizza hut. We kept on having another go on the boat over and over, after nearly 10 times me all felt too sick to eat haha. So it must mess with your stomach, but one time on a kids one was weird.

Must be worth a try. It looks like the ones I've got might not give much of an accurate view. Could be wrong though, I'll have to see.

Im quite good the next morning, i think im lucky :P haha personally i love toffee cheesecake, but drink makes me do some silly things at a house party i split something on the floor and there was no sponge like right there so i grabbed a box of ferrero rocher's and started trying to wipe it up :') i did a lot of silly things that night

and yeah doubt it'll be a problem :smile:

I've never actually been to Thorpe Park ): we also end up at Blackpool because it's one of the closest and by train the easiest for us to get to, we go to flamingo land a few times too which i quite like because of the zoo, but yeah i have a lot of exploring to do. Haha i think fairground rides have rules of their own.... lol but my friends did something similar in blackpool, they went on these spinning air balloons in nickelodeon land :') the faster you spun the wheel in the cart the quicker you'd turn round so they did that a good few times and didn't want to eat afterwards they too also looked a bit pale, im glad i didn't go on them tbh haha

I think mine give an accurate view but i couldn't 100% say for sure, so far they've been good, but id give them a try see how you get on you might like them :smile:
Im quite good the next morning, i think im lucky :P haha personally i love toffee cheesecake, but drink makes me do some silly things at a house party i split something on the floor and there was no sponge like right there so i grabbed a box of ferrero rocher's and started trying to wipe it up :') i did a lot of silly things that night

and yeah doubt it'll be a problem :smile:

I've never actually been to Thorpe Park ): we also end up at Blackpool because it's one of the closest and by train the easiest for us to get to, we go to flamingo land a few times too which i quite like because of the zoo, but yeah i have a lot of exploring to do. Haha i think fairground rides have rules of their own.... lol but my friends did something similar in blackpool, they went on these spinning air balloons in nickelodeon land :') the faster you spun the wheel in the cart the quicker you'd turn round so they did that a good few times and didn't want to eat afterwards they too also looked a bit pale, im glad i didn't go on them tbh haha

I think mine give an accurate view but i couldn't 100% say for sure, so far they've been good, but id give them a try see how you get on you might like them :smile:

Think it all depends on how I've eaten throughout the night with me actually. I've consumed ridiculous amounts before, but because I've nibbled throughout the night and had a large meal at some point I've woken up feeling pretty fresh. Then other times I've woken up with a hangover after 4 beers because I didn't really eat anything.
I love anything with toffee :smile: Lol, funny. I don't do many really silly things no matter how much I drink, but my sense of embarrassment just disappears after I've had a good amount haha.

Think we've all got loads of places we wanna visit to be fair. Haha nice. You know the funny thing about that Chessington trip; The thing I was looking forward to more than anything is going to Pizza Hut since I hadn't been in a few years, and after that we never ended up getting one :frown: Still haven't been to Pizza Hut since. Will definitely change that soon now that I've got a set of wheels though :smile:

Think once I get a reverse bay park on the go I should figure out whether or not they're good, firstly I should be able to see if I've got a good amount of space between my wheels and the lines, and secondly I should be able to use the right one to make sure I reverse right up to the curb without actually getting to the point of touching it. So we'll see how that goes.
Original post by James A

There are ways of doing it with no black box, if you're parents don't mind and you still live at home etc.

When doing quotes online put one of your parents in first, then add yourself. Then later on when it asks who the main driver is put it as you. It uses your parents no claims discount, and reduces your premium, but your not breaking the law as you are still saying you're the main driver.

Pros: reduced premium, no need for black box (I found it was a lot cheaper than the black boxes that would insure me, co-op refused to :frown: ), so no restrictions on when you can drive and no need to worry about your smoothness.

Cons: you don't build up your own no claims as you're not taking out the policy, technically your parents are. Also, your parents can't use their own no claims, but you should be able to get it protected (bit of an extra cost but hey), and your parents premium will increase, but it will still be a lot cheaper to pay the difference between their premium now and with no no claims than to take out your own policy as the main driver with no no claims. If they're coming to the end of their policy all the better as they don't have to mess around with cancelation fees etc, but it's still not too much if it means you can drive.

My quite was around £1670 for a 1.2 Corsa, r reg. but for protected no claims it's another 190, but the no claims will be protected no matter how many claims I make in the year. Luckily, my dads only increased by about another £10 a month, and he's not gonna make me pay it (I don't think) aha

Anyways it's something to look at :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
There are ways of doing it with no black box, if you're parents don't mind and you still live at home etc.

When doing quotes online put one of your parents in first, then add yourself. Then later on when it asks who the main driver is put it as you. It uses your parents no claims discount, and reduces your premium, but your not breaking the law as you are still saying you're the main driver.

Pros: reduced premium, no need for black box (I found it was a lot cheaper than the black boxes that would insure me, co-op refused to :frown: ), so no restrictions on when you can drive and no need to worry about your smoothness.

Cons: you don't build up your own no claims as you're not taking out the policy, technically your parents are. Also, your parents can't use their own no claims, but you should be able to get it protected (bit of an extra cost but hey), and your parents premium will increase, but it will still be a lot cheaper to pay the difference between their premium now and with no no claims than to take out your own policy as the main driver with no no claims. If they're coming to the end of their policy all the better as they don't have to mess around with cancelation fees etc, but it's still not too much if it means you can drive.

My quite was around £1670 for a 1.2 Corsa, r reg. but for protected no claims it's another 190, but the no claims will be protected no matter how many claims I make in the year. Luckily, my dads only increased by about another £10 a month, and he's not gonna make me pay it (I don't think) aha

Anyways it's something to look at :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Blimey, I'll give that a consideration, thanks for the advice!
Original post by James A
Blimey, I'll give that a consideration, thanks for the advice!

I don't think comparison sites let you choose who the main driver is once you've put all the details in (I could be wrong though) but I know LV do, and admiral, so might be best just going on a load of individual sites (effort I know) aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think it all depends on how I've eaten throughout the night with me actually. I've consumed ridiculous amounts before, but because I've nibbled throughout the night and had a large meal at some point I've woken up feeling pretty fresh. Then other times I've woken up with a hangover after 4 beers because I didn't really eat anything.
I love anything with toffee :smile: Lol, funny. I don't do many really silly things no matter how much I drink, but my sense of embarrassment just disappears after I've had a good amount haha.

Think we've all got loads of places we wanna visit to be fair. Haha nice. You know the funny thing about that Chessington trip; The thing I was looking forward to more than anything is going to Pizza Hut since I hadn't been in a few years, and after that we never ended up getting one :frown: Still haven't been to Pizza Hut since. Will definitely change that soon now that I've got a set of wheels though :smile:

Think once I get a reverse bay park on the go I should figure out whether or not they're good, firstly I should be able to see if I've got a good amount of space between my wheels and the lines, and secondly I should be able to use the right one to make sure I reverse right up to the curb without actually getting to the point of touching it. So we'll see how that goes.

yeah i usually eat after we've been out and have some water to drink which i think helps me in the morning, love waking up feeling good after a night out :smile: ahah and well i tend to more silly things at house partys, when im out im usually the sensible one :P hahah

It'll be even more worth it now if you've had to wait ages tho :smile: i really really want pizza now haha, we went on a school trip to flamingoland, but we was only given like 2 and half hours when we got there, so we only got on 2 rides ): had a good walk round the zoo though

yeah that's probably the best way to test them, i should imagine they'll be pretty good at giving you more vision which ever ones you've got im sure, only like 2 more days until you get to see anyway :biggrin:
yeah i usually eat after we've been out and have some water to drink which i think helps me in the morning, love waking up feeling good after a night out :smile: ahah and well i tend to more silly things at house partys, when im out im usually the sensible one :P hahah

It'll be even more worth it now if you've had to wait ages tho :smile: i really really want pizza now haha, we went on a school trip to flamingoland, but we was only given like 2 and half hours when we got there, so we only got on 2 rides ): had a good walk round the zoo though

yeah that's probably the best way to test them, i should imagine they'll be pretty good at giving you more vision which ever ones you've got im sure, only like 2 more days until you get to see anyway :biggrin:

Yeah I don't do things that I regret the next day either haha. Some people just don't seem to know what the hell is going on and don't remember anything the next day, in which case what's the point of going to have a good time you won't even remember lol.

Yeah looking forward to it :smile: Hope their BBQ bases are nice. Still not sure whether to go eat at the restaurant or go for takeaway. Probably just see what deals are better when the time comes.
That sucks a bit. I think we only stayed for 3 hours on the Chessington trip, it was during school hours though and it was pretty empty, so we didn't have to do much queueing and ended up fitting loads in.

Yeah hopefully, definitely gonna buy the same pair as yours either way, then replace them straight away if I don't like them. Or maybe go find my instructor's car and nick them off his haha.
Yeah I don't do things that I regret the next day either haha. Some people just don't seem to know what the hell is going on and don't remember anything the next day, in which case what's the point of going to have a good time you won't even remember lol.

Yeah looking forward to it :smile: Hope their BBQ bases are nice. Still not sure whether to go eat at the restaurant or go for takeaway. Probably just see what deals are better when the time comes.
That sucks a bit. I think we only stayed for 3 hours on the Chessington trip, it was during school hours though and it was pretty empty, so we didn't have to do much queueing and ended up fitting loads in.

Yeah hopefully, definitely gonna buy the same pair as yours either way, then replace them straight away if I don't like them. Or maybe go find my instructor's car and nick them off his haha.

Haha yeah exactly, i'd much rather remember the good times and feel quite good the next day too :smile:

From what i remember they're lovely, we actually haven't had a pizza hut in a good couple of weeks, i think im definitely gonna have to get one soon, i'll probably go eat in with my friends when they're back from uni because it's where we also go now, but we have been saying we'll give Frankie and bennies a try, i love their pizzas too, feeling so hungry now ): Rock challenge tomorrow though so hopefully i'll have a good opportunity to grab some junk food : D hahah and thats pretty good, wish we had got longer ): it was in school time but i think every other school was also doing a school trip that day too -.- so it was very busy

yeah well i'd say the ones im using now are pretty good, not had a problem with them :smile:
Just want to say that if you see a Hastings quote, they are more trouble than what they are worth. See my rant here:
https://www.facebook.com/HastingsDirect/posts/10151472570914340

Hasn't really got much relevance, but it's relevant in the sense that maybe I could steer people away from this horrible, horrible company
Reply 159
Original post by James A

A skoda fabia is an alternative, same platform as a VW polo i think. Got insured on a 1.4 petrol for £800, although im 18 with no NCB. No blackbox either Carrot insurance were offering me a quote for £2400 :s-smilie:.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending