The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3160
Original post by Eboracum
In Summer, we need a clear out. Valencia is DREADFUL. Last season he was very good, but he's been so poor, lost his touch, no skill, I don't know what has happened to the lad. Nani needs to be gone, and I'd get rid of Anderson as well.

Rooney is a difficult one, he's been very poor this season by his high standards. If a high offer came in, and we could get Robert Lewandowski I'd be tempted to get rid of him.

We need Carrick to be as good next year as this season, we need Kagawa fit and regularly playing, RVP on song again, I'd possibly look at James Rodriguez from Porto, he is worth a shout, as is Kevin Strootman. I would really like to sign Iker Muniain from Athletico Bilbao also, he is a superb player. I mean ideally Bale, but I'd take two of these three instead. We'd be superb then.

So to recap. Nani sold for 12m, Anderson for 8m, and Rooney for 40m, in comes Lewandowski for 20m and Muniain for 20m and Rodriguez for 15m. Thoughts? Or just Bale.

I've always loved Rooney, I was there on his debut. But for me he's never recaptured his early form, and if Lewandowski came available I'd be tempted to sell up.

Rodriguez for 15 mil, and selling Nani for 12 mil, have you not seen transfers in the last 5 years or something, and don't see BVB selling Lewandowski for any less than RVP.
PFA Team of the Year 2012/13: De Gea; Zabaleta, Ferdinand, Vertonghen, Baines; Mata, Hazard, Carrick, Bale, Suarez, van Persie.

Zaha also in Championship team of season

Wilfried Zaha has also won the PFA Championship Player Of The Year Award.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
You sure about that? Last season people were saying hernandez is not good enough and I agree with them. He's not good enough to lead the line at a top club but he's good at one thing like his predecessor(inzaghi) which is finding space in the box and finishing. He doesn't have any ability on the ball but he's useful in key moments like finding a winner in the 86th minute when everyones tired so will struggle to pick a guy with his movement up.
I don't think thats what people said. He's just a very limited player and there are certain games it just not worth putting him into. Hernandez cannot be the main outlet, he doesn't have the presence or the control to be the guy you can ping the ball out of the box to. He is good on the break and when you can do everything but put it in the net. In games like today where we were breaking on Arsenal quickly I think he would have been good. He's actually alright on the ball and such, but certainly cannot do that down the middle, he needs someone through the middle to help him. I think he could play very well with RVP.

Original post by Tommyjw
PFA Team of the Year 2012/13: De Gea; Zabaleta, Ferdinand, Vertonghen, Baines; Mata, Hazard, Carrick, Bale, Suarez, van Persie.

I personally would have put Rafael ahead of Zabaleta. Last year was really Zabaleta's year, but him along with most of the City team have been pretty meh this season. Other than that, team is pretty spot on IMO.
Original post by doggyfizzel

I personally would have put Rafael ahead of Zabaleta. Last year was really Zabaleta's year, but him along with most of the City team have been pretty meh this season. Other than that, team is pretty spot on IMO.

I dunno, Zabaletas been pretty great this year imo. Can't complain, Rafaels only young too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3164
Do people on here think Nani should get another contract. Nani has the Man Utd fans all over the globe split, some fans love him and some fans loathe him. I think he should get a new contract. His 2010 season is still in my memory and still think he could be a late bloomer, like our beloved RVP. Remember RVP was in the shadow of Henry for most of his early years & didn't excel even after Henry left, inconsistent with injuries and behind less talented players like Adebayor in the team, as well as a questionable temperament but became a world beater at 27/28 when had a full fit season in the team, then why can Nani not be given the same chance.
In Summer, we need a clear out. Valencia is DREADFUL. Last season he was very good, but he's been so poor, lost his touch, no skill, I don't know what has happened to the lad. Nani needs to be gone, and I'd get rid of Anderson as well.

Rooney is a difficult one, he's been very poor this season by his high standards. If a high offer came in, and we could get Robert Lewandowski I'd be tempted to get rid of him.

We need Carrick to be as good next year as this season, we need Kagawa fit and regularly playing, RVP on song again, I'd possibly look at James Rodriguez from Porto, he is worth a shout, as is Kevin Strootman. I would really like to sign Iker Muniain from Athletico Bilbao also, he is a superb player. I mean ideally Bale, but I'd take two of these three instead. We'd be superb then.

So to recap. Nani sold for 12m, Anderson for 8m, and Rooney for 40m, in comes Lewandowski for 20m and Muniain for 20m and Rodriguez for 15m. Thoughts? Or just Bale.

I've always loved Rooney, I was there on his debut. But for me he's never recaptured his early form, and if Lewandowski came available I'd be tempted to sell up.

What about Ronaldo coming back??
Reply 3166
Rooney looks set to leave in the summer. Specially when Fergie keeps saying Kagawa will be a very good player next season, I can only see that happening if he plays in his beat position which is the position Rooney plays. I reckon, Wayne will be sold and Kagawa being played behind RvP and midfield boosted from Rooney sale cash.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Happy for De Gea :redface:
Original post by rohitbd
Rodriguez for 15 mil, and selling Nani for 12 mil, have you not seen transfers in the last 5 years or something, and don't see BVB selling Lewandowski for any less than RVP.

I think my prices seem fairly reasonable. The hyperinflation that exists in the transfer market has got to stop now come on.

Original post by Tommyjw

Great news about De Gea, he deserved it for me, he's been fantastic.

Original post by UnknownGuy
What about Ronaldo coming back??

Well I'd love that. I'd take him over anyone else. But it will cost and I don't think the time is right for this.
Apparently Bale gets both awards.

Looks like its time to buy another player of the year winner..
Not too bothered about RVP not getting the main gong, it was Bale's as soon as he had that goal-scoring spree around March time.

More chuffed for De Gea, deserved recognition. Rafael would have been worthy of the RB slot also.

We should have won today's game with the chances we had but once we rode Arsenal's early start and Sagna helped us out then we got more comfortable and hangover from Monday night had disappeared and we kicked on.
Reply 3171
Quite a positive sign Zaha got the Championship award. Can't say I've seen much of him nor anyone else in the Championship, but that's a pretty good indication he's playing beyond his level. Whether that will be good enough to come straight into our team or not, we'll have to see. Assuming he fixes our RW problem, I'd say all we need is a LW and a CM. A good LB would be nice, but I can't see that happening.

Bale would be my ideal LW signing, but I can't see it happening. It's possible he might leave, say if Spurs fail to come at least fourth, but I just can't see Spurs selling to us again, nor to anyone in England really. It's not like they have to sell anyway, he's still got 3 years left on his contract.

I think my prices seem fairly reasonable. The hyperinflation that exists in the transfer market has got to stop now come on.

Very rare Porto sell anyone when it's not for mega bucks. Selling their star player for 15m isn't going to happen. If you want James, you're talking more in the region of 40m+.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3172
Original post by Tommyjw
Apparently Bale gets both awards.

Looks like its time to buy another player of the year winner..

Do we need to add goals to our game? not really .. Bale would mess our whole team up, barely stays on the left anymore drifts into the center and only has 4 assists for the season... that's the same as Welbeck.. so there's no need to shell out 50m+... lets find a proper service winger like valencia was last year. btw if rooney goes we should go for Ronaldo
Reply 3173
If Rooney goes we will likely need to buy a CF and maybe a AM, because Rooney covered both positions. Lewandowski is the easy CF choice, Bayern are going to be tough to beat but surely BVB cannot get away with selling him to Bayern, it would diminish their club and the whole German league. Falcao is the other target but lets be honest, he is out of our budget range and Lewandowski is younger and will be the perfect replacement for RVP that even if Rooney stays it'll be handy to buy him now so in about a year or 2 he can take the load of RVP upfront.

At AM Kagawa is the likely replacement for Rooney, but we will need cover for him. Welbeck can play there very well and develop into a great SS, but he i not the most consistent though he has the quality. Isco is bound to leave this summer and he could be a option but he is a bit to similar to Kagawa so wouldn't offer much new. The best option could be to have RVP behind the new CF if Kagawa is out and Welbeck is of form for now, unless someone like Modric becomes available so he could cover CM and AM.
Original post by Tommyjw

I read it in this order.

'You can't buy class - Arsenal Forever' ------> You can for 24 million -------> That calls for a Carlsberg

:rofl:
Original post by cost
Do we need to add goals to our game? not really .. Bale would mess our whole team up, barely stays on the left anymore drifts into the center and only has 4 assists for the season... that's the same as Welbeck.. so there's no need to shell out 50m+... lets find a proper service winger like valencia was last year. btw if rooney goes we should go for Ronaldo

Really?

Personally I think if there was ever a footballer who fitted a particular club like a glove, then it is Gareth Bale for Man. United.

He's the sort of player that gets you off your seat when he's on the ball, like Ronaldo, Giggs, Best & co. before him. United have always played with wingers, Fergie loves them and he also loves buying young British players. The fact he can play pretty much anywhere across the front and also do a job at left back will also interest Fergie.

He's got 4 assists in the Premier League but 4 in the Europa League too. 8 assists plus his goal tally is not a bad return, not that the stats mean anything as he's been utilised more as a goalscorer this season. He could definitely do the winger job for Man. United.

He'd be a brilliant improvement on what they already have, which is the point of buying players.
Reply 3177
Who the **** is Bale gonna assist anyway? Defoe's been injured and isn't great anyway, Adebayor's basically a poor man's Welbeck these days, Dempsey's been terrible, Sigurdsson a bit better but still pretty average, Lennon's been good but he's not a goalscorer, any anyone else who plays in the final third isn't worth a mention.

Spurs have had some great performers this season, Lloris in goal, Verthongen CB, Dembele CM, but in terms of attackers they've been mediocre, Bale aside of course. If he was playing around RVP, Rooney etc his assist total would look a lot more healthy. And tbh he'd offer enough goals that his assists don't really matter. He'd be such a good fit here.

Can't see it happening though. A year or two at Spurs before a move to Spain is my guess.
Original post by Louis.
If he was playing around RVP, Rooney etc his assist total would look a lot more healthy. And tbh he'd offer enough goals that his assists don't really matter. He'd be such a good fit here.

Can't see it happening though. A year or two at Spurs before a move to Spain is my guess.

Imagine Bale taking on defenders and crossing the ball in for Hernandez to get on the end of.

This transfer makes far too much sense to actually happen. Ferguson has already signed Zaha too so I don't know if this is out of the question or not now, you have enough wingers already.

Young
Nani
Valencia
Zaha
Welbeck arguably

If Valencia and Nani were used as bait plus cash maybe it would be possible.
Reply 3179
I think good ol' Dan Leivy will do his best to stop Gareth Bale coming to Man Utd, he'll put a 70m price tag on him for us and then end up selling him for 40m to Real Madrid

I don't think there's much chance of signing him even if we want him and he wants to come, the whole Modric saga showed how unwilling spurs are to sell their best players to rivals

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest