The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
She say's there's nothing wrong with my teach.
How do I persuade them otherwise?

... nah, too easy

Well, I think a dentist knows better than someone who probably critisizes everything they see in the mirror, ie almost everyone
Reply 2

well you're going to have to pay regardless if you need them or not .NHS stopped paying for them. Be prepared to fork out at least £ 2000
Reply 3
Original post by Skip_Snip
... nah, too easy

Well, I think a dentist knows better than someone who probably critisizes everything they see in the mirror, ie almost everyone

These are my nasty teeth
Attachment not found
and
Attachment not found
is this your orthodontist after a referral or your regular dentist who wont refer you?
if its the first, then your best bet is to wait and ask for a second referral from your dentist. it took me two goes to actually get braces in the end.
if its the latter you can get a second opinion i think by asking to see another dentist at your practice or even change practices.
or alternatively pay for it yourself, which you dont have to fit a criteria for. (i assume you're talking about getting braces on the nhs)
Reply 5
By the way- I'm getting my teeth whitened too...
Reply 6
Sorry about the spelling mistakes- I literally cannot see the keyboard- it's the darkness in this room.
your teeth need to be a certain level on the iotn scale (i think past 3) otherwise they wont refer you. but trust me try to dowhat you can to get them at this age!
Reply 8
they work for me- but here gos?
Attachment not found

and
Attachment not found
Attatchments won't work if you're anon, you'll have to come off anon or upload them to an image site and post the link.
Reply 10
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Attatchments won't work if you're anon, you'll have to come off anon or upload them to an image site and post the link.

Here goes: http://www.use.com/41239e465e9127386079
Reply 11
Original post by opengeek
well you're going to have to pay regardless if you need them or not .NHS stopped paying for them. Be prepared to fork out at least £ 2000

have they really?! I have one tooth out of place and it really bothers me now that everyone has had braces and perfect teeth :frown:
looks like i will need to make some dental friends then
Reply 12

your teeth really arent that bad, the only thing is say is maybe the from to, and you dont need braces to alter those, my cousin had something similar and had this metal like a retainer but not, sort of thing and wears it at night only now.
they may charge as only severe teeth are (or were by the seems of it) done on the NHS
Try seeing another dentist, my dentist said the same thing many years ago and now I'm here looking like bugs bunny

They aren't too bad, they are a thousand times better than mine were ( and i have braces, off in 2 weeks WHAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY)

I'd say that next time you go to the dentist just raise your concerns with him and if he won't refer you, get him to explain why, you might understand where he's coming from. Plus if you're arent on the NHS, I don't know how much braces would cost you but I hear its a lot of money.

To get braces on the nhs now a days it generally has to be for medical reasons - for example teeth not coming though, or mouth being too small.
The dentist/orthodontist makes a judgement of whether or not you need braces by the severity and condition of your teeth and yours probably just don't qualify.
If you want braces you may have to go private which unfortunately can cost a fair bit. I wanted a brace on my bottom teeth since they look pretty bad but they still said it would viewed as a "cosmetic" procedure and i would have to fork out about £700. Also age is something they take into consideration, think your more likely to get them on the NHS if your under the age of 18... not 100% sure though
Doesn't look like there's much wrong with them... one of the front ones isn't as straight as it could be but otherwise they're fine and there's enough room for them. You don't need braces, they wouldn't do much.

How much attention do people pay to other people's teeth anyway??
Reply 18
I will say that my teeth are perfectly spaced, its just the rotation of them.
So your dentist is right, you don't NEED braces, so the NHS shouldn't advise or contribute towards them you want them for purely aesthetic reasons, in which case its perfectly reasonable to expect you to fork out to get it done privately

Latest