The Student Room Group

JSA Personal Advisor out to get me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lar di da
No, but I am saying this about people on JSA. These are the type of people you hear complaining about foreigners coming in and taking jobs from people born here - yet they're not willing to do those jobs themselves.

Lazy people, who are happy with just getting through life and not looking at the bigger picture.

I won't diverge too much, so i'll get back to the fact that if you're on TSR, then at least you care about your education, must have a general awareness, and have potential to do fairly well (compared to a large proportion of the country). So if you're on the JSA, you're just doing something wrong, need to change tact and get out there - it's just laziness at the end of the day.

There you go, generalising again. It's only once you're out of work and living in an area that doesn't provide much opportunity for the unemployed that you'll fully understand I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, it's ridiculous when those claiming benefits veer all of their hatred and blame towards immigration. It makes no sense.

But you can't make the sweeping statement 'it's just laziness' when there are those that fill up to 100 applications a week to no avail.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Nutella:3
You do know you can actually be declined for jobs due to being overqualified?

Yes, but you always adjust your CV accordingly.
And so what if you get declined jobs for being over qualified, rejection is natural, but you need to send out as much as possible.
Reply 42
Original post by BrandoMike
There you go, generalising again. It's only once you're out of work and living in an area that doesn't provide much opportunity for the unemployed that you'll fully understand I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, it's ridiculous when those claiming benefits veer all of their hatred and blame towards immigration. It makes no sense.

But you can't make sweeping statement 'it's just laziness' when there are those that fill up to 100 applications a week to no avail

BrandoMike is correct, when I was job hunting 20 applications were a bad week, usually more like 60. I also printed CVs and business cards and went out on foot going to employers on spec, sent out letters too on top of applications. Still took me 7months.
Ask your Job Adviser for leaflet ES4LFW. When you complete your ES4 Looking for Work booklet, you need to put down a variety of means you are using to look for work. This is a new government requirement. If you are told that you are applying for jobs in only one sector, try applying for jobs outside the box. A degree doesn't limit the number of different avenues you could try and any experience on a CV is better than none at all. For the variety of ways you are looking for work, the Job Adviser has to look for more than just "Applied for a job online". To satisfy the Looking for Work criteria, you should put down different means of job searching, such as "Read local newspapers" "Sent CV to companies on spec" "Rang businesses" in whatever sector you would like to work in.
I've been unemployed for nearly 2 years, so I know the ropes. This is why I am going to be a full time student, but stick with your applications. Do what has to be done in your booklet to fulfill the government requirements, but remember they do spot checks so no point putting a load of rubbish down! Better to apply for some jobs you would rather not do and avoid sanctions than go through that experience. Hope you find the right employment for you very soon.
Reply 44
My one is awesome. Just harvesting the cash right now.
Original post by kmcgowan13
Work trials aren't for free... You're being paid jsa? If I don't do anything I don't get paid... Sorry may sound Tory but if you're on jsa you should work for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you had to work for it, it wouldn't be called JOB SEEKER'S allowance.
Reply 46
People don't realise how good they have it. There's plenty of places where if you don't find a way to earn a living, you die. Puts 10 applications a week (or w/e it is) in perspective.

I also wonder how many people who are on JSA for a prolonged period of time actually treat it as a 9-5 job. Do that and I'd be amazed if you can't find something.
Original post by BrandoMike
Three dots my friend... < like this... that's an ellipsis.

Good luck getting a job once, sorry if you graduate.

LOL, I work giving regulated financial advice and find the time to go to study. Its about time management, anything is possible, if you have the right mentality. An Ellipsis pays bills now :colondollar:
Original post by M1011
People don't realise how good they have it. There's plenty of places where if you don't find a way to earn a living, you die. Puts 10 applications a week (or w/e it is) in perspective.

I also wonder how many people who are on JSA for a prolonged period of time actually treat it as a 9-5 job. Do that and I'd be amazed if you can't find something.

That is so true, Ive got so many negs for writing the same thing :wink:
Reply 49
Original post by SloaneRanger
That is so true, Ive got so many negs for writing the same thing :wink:

It's probably because being unemployed is soul destroying with a high number of no replies to applications and a lot of rejection. Even with job hunting 40-100hrs a week it can in reality take months. Remember some employers automatically reject those who are unemployed. When someone then goes and accuses you of 'just not trying' it is offensive.
Original post by shonaT
It's probably because being unemployed is soul destroying with a high number of no replies to applications and a lot of rejection. Even with job hunting 40-100hrs a week it can in reality take months. Remember some employers automatically reject those who are unemployed. When someone then goes and accuses you of 'just not trying' it is offensive.

You can easily say you were travelling at our age? Houseperson, "i was studying", if there are gaps in employment, more regulated employers do a Basic Disclosure of Scotland anyway, just to show you haven't been inside or anything. No way of checking, all you have to do is keep a straight face, decent eye contact and smile.....you can get through anyway... lateral thinking.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
If you've been on JSA for 4-5 months then you're doing something wrong - namely that you're being lazy. Don't try that crap saying that you need to put effort into a few good applications. That's crap cause lets face it, the standard of each application you send out is basically the same. At the starting level, with little experience, it's a numbers game and the best thing you can do is contact as many firms as you can sending out a crap load of emails, cv's cover letters. Spending time on a few applications that you want is not gonna work because if you're unexperienced, your 'best' application will still be destroyed by other more qualified people.

Beggars can't be choosers.
And yes, if you're on JSA you are a beggar.

- And before you try to retaliate, I was on JSA for 2 weeks last year and it is one of the most depressing places I have ever been. The one thing i noticed about people who went to those centres is how messed up their mentality was (obviously there will be exceptions...so giving me one counterexample won't suffice). They are lazy and even think that they're too good for the system.

There is a small introductory talk for people signing on where you're in a group of fellow losers and we all had to list out what type of jobs we were looking for. one crazy lady, around 50, on every type of benefit possible, began complaining that she didn't want a minimum wage job because she was too good for it. She's on benefits and is complaining that she was better than working as a cleaner, and any minimum wage job. What a joke. I won't rant more because i'll get angry.

But yeah, thats the general attitude - Sitting on your ass. There's a million opportunities for you out there. Not just ones online.

Be smart about it, GTFO JSA.

I was in the same position with no experience as well, with no contacts, but through a crap load of emailing and contacting, I managed to get a job and now my career path is improving exponentially. Be proactive and stop sitting on your ass.

If some JSA claimants are lazy that doesn't mean the rest are the same. And who says I'm not doing anything? Some of us can easily work even for 5 pounds an hour but that's not the point. Also, you do understand that some people cannot do any type of jobs due to their own reasons which aren't being lazy or not wanting to work for a minimum wage? You think that some of us like to be on benefits? If you think that then you are very wrong.

And don't judge a book from its cover..
Reply 52
And picking someone out because of a simple grammatical error is just the weakest attempt to attack what someone is saying. People do that when they can't return the argument and so try to pick on something that is completely irrelevant. Brilliant!

And picking on people calling them lazy because they cannot make a lot of applications a day.
LOL, I work giving regulated financial advice and find the time to go to study. Its about time management, anything is possible, if you have the right mentality. An Ellipsis pays bills now :colondollar:

Two attempts and you still put a capital on ellipsis. Nuff said.
Original post by ForgetMe
If some JSA claimants are lazy that doesn't mean the rest are the same. And who says I'm not doing anything? Some of us can easily work even for 5 pounds an hour but that's not the point. Also, you do understand that some people cannot do any type of jobs due to their own reasons which aren't being lazy or not wanting to work for a minimum wage? You think that some of us like to be on benefits? If you think that then you are very wrong.

And don't judge a book from its cover..

If you work 10 hours at £5 an hour thats £50 you can a lot even when that is taxed, compared to just standard JSA.
Reply 55
If you work 10 hours at £5 an hour thats £50 you can a lot even when that is taxed, compared to just standard JSA.

I will say only one thing, I was overqualified to clean toilets. Now that should be clear :smile: That's why I already have lined up an interview with Hospital for volunteer position.
(edited 10 years ago)
people have the right to choose their 3 categories for work mine is for example graphic design, web design,animation. Just because you took the first **** job you came across (probably because you have no qualifications or skills) it does not mean everyone else has to. A doctor should wait for a doctors job to come up both to benefit himself, his patients and the taxpayers.
Original post by QuentinMids
If you had to work for it, it wouldn't be called JOB SEEKER'S allowance.

If someone in this country works they are entitled to minimum wage.
Reply 58
Original post by notimefornazis
If someone in this country works they are entitled to minimum wage.

Thats not true though is it?

Interns as the obvious example. Prisoners too.

Apprentices have a far lower minimum wage of £2.68.

It gets a bit messy if you don't take into account housing benefit and council tax benefit.
I claim benefits .. :smile: .. Pays for my car insurance ... Lol at all the sheep that pay " tax " in this retarded economy .. Government got invisible shackles on you and you can't see it .. You criticise and judge the weak for not been able to support their families .. People are from all walks of life and some struggle where others thrive , you have no right to judge , have morals and use your position of power to help others ... Not to help the rich live the best life they possibly can of your back , then have the cheek to convince you our country's in debt because of benefits . Tut tut ... Just think ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending