The Student Room Group

Can't decide on my uni course!

I have offers from:

York - Computer Science & Embedded Systems

Warwick - Computer Science

Bristol - Computer Science

Manchester - Computer Science

I am struggling to choose between York and Bristol, although I haven't completely ruled out Warwick.

I prefer Bristol as a place, however their computer science doesn't contain much electronics (hence why I went for 25% Embedded Systems at York) and Bristols course isn't IET accredited (Yorks is).

Bristol offers Computer Science and Electronics as a degree, which I am interested in (and could easily switch to), which IS IET accredited. However I do also really love programming and I am quite advanced at it for my age (similar to a first year+ I'd imagine), so I wouldn't want miss out on the software development side of things. Another way of looking at it would be that maybe I don't need to do as much at uni an I could continue it as a hobby, carrying on making apps/frameworks etc?

Any thoughts? I'm finding it really hard to choose and they've all offered me AAA (apart from manchester, which was AAB), although York has said they'd accept A*AB (I got an A* in my maths A-Level last January).

Thanks in advanced :smile:.
Reply 1
well done and congrats on the offers
check them out and see what you like
maybe check with the students which they prefer
i wouldnt bother with employment stats because they are solid unis
email some staff,you may be able to intergrate modules from other subjects if necessary so you could still focus on programming whilst do a few modules on electronics
its a tough call, best of luck
worst case scenario, flip a coin :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by yoitsro
well done and congrats on the offers
check them out and see what you like
maybe check with the students which they prefer
i wouldnt bother with employment stats because they are solid unis
email some staff,you may be able to intergrate modules from other subjects if necessary so you could still focus on programming whilst do a few modules on electronics
its a tough call, best of luck
worst case scenario, flip a coin :wink:

Thanks for the input :smile:. I had no idea adding or swapping modules was even a remote possibility (apart from the preset optional ones). I'll definitely look into it!
Reply 3
Hello Cawthorne,

V share similar interests!..i have just applied to the universities...bristol, southampton and surrey. which country are u from?
Reply 4
Original post by karuna
Hello Cawthorne,

V share similar interests!..i have just applied to the universities...bristol, southampton and surrey. which country are u from?

I'm from the UK!

I firmed Bristol in the end by the way :smile:. Best place, best course according to league tables. Only fault is it could have a tad more electronics, but I'm only judging from the module titles. It could have a decent amount!
Reply 5
Well, congrats for that :smile: i hav applied only last week..i know its too late already :frown:
how long did dey take to tell the results?
Reply 6
Original post by cawthorne
I'm from the UK!

I firmed Bristol in the end by the way :smile:. Best place, best course according to league tables. Only fault is it could have a tad more electronics, but I'm only judging from the module titles. It could have a decent amount!

Hey why didnt u try southampton, btw?
Reply 7
Original post by karuna
Hello Cawthorne,

Surrey for sure :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by karuna
Hey why didnt u try southampton, btw?

I don't my have any particularly good reason really! I have visited the place for non-Uni reasons before and it didn't really have the vibe I was looking for. It seemed to be a tad isolated, which may make you think "why did you put Warwick as you're insurance??". Although Warwick isn't a great place the departement came across better to me than York, simply because they showed off the student projects more and it had a highly rated student union. But I'm still only the fence about Warwick & York in my head (even though I have already selected it on the website). I'm just trying to forget about it and focus on my revison, because I'm not too worried about getting the AAA I need for Bristol (my firt choice) :P.

I don't have good reasons for any of my choices really apart from the location/reputation of the course, since it's hard to say what any of them are like until you've actually sat it. I read once that at Southampton it was completely fine if you haven't done any programming before, while it Bristol it's also fine, but you can do a first year programming project instea of the intro to programming courses (or maybe just a few of the later classes to make sure you are up to scratch) which I thought was very accommodating of them (but they probably do similar things at Southampton).

Also Southampton has dropped on the league tables to 11th from liken5th this year. Bristol is consistently high. Anyway, you can never be sure and you can't choose them all! If I was doing it again I would have applied to Imperial College, but my parents said London was too expensive and I foolishly took that into consideration! Now of course they say "You could have gone if you wanted!", but at the time they were very adimant I shouldn't go. I looked around on the open day and I loved it as well :P.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Which one should i take - York or Manchester In Computer Science 2013? I want to learn more of software & web development and business and management.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending