The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Computer Science

Anyone currently doing Computer science at Lincoln?

Whats it like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Scorpiaz
bump

Me. What questions do you have?
Reply 3
Im on my first year of computer science , its been pretty good so far apart from the maths module haha
Reply 4
and also you get free a free raspberry pi every single Windows Os and ton of other software for free
Reply 5
Original post by chrishapy
Im on my first year of computer science , its been pretty good so far apart from the maths module haha

Going to be there for Computer science this year, is the math really difficult there? :P I haven't touched math since 2010.
Reply 6
and also you get free a free raspberry pi every single Windows Os and ton of other software for free

those raspberry pi's are awesome we made a tetris game on the applicant day with them, when i say made a tetris game I mean we copied a bunch of code! haha
Original post by matty1794
those raspberry pi's are awesome we made a tetris game on the applicant day with them, when i say made a tetris game I mean we copied a bunch of code! haha

Ah yeah, that was actually pretty fun! I'm used to programming in Turbo Pascal though, where indentations don't affect the code... so didn't realise why the program wasn't compiling for ages :facepalm:
Original post by rvirajm
Going to be there for Computer science this year, is the math really difficult there? :P I haven't touched math since 2010.

When I emailed the head of the faculty, he told me that the maths starts at about GCSE Level and increments from there so everyone is on the same level.
Reply 9
Original post by British-Student
When I emailed the head of the faculty, he told me that the maths starts at about GCSE Level and increments from there so everyone is on the same level.

Great! Thanks for the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by matty1794

Oh yeah i was helping out at that applicant day, the next task was horrible... so are you definately choosing lincoln?
Reply 11
Original post by British-Student

Hmm i wouldn't say GCSE , more like AS level.... you start with linear algebra, to matrices , statistics and even calculus.. but you only need to get 40% in the module so its all good
Oh yeah i was helping out at that applicant day, the next task was horrible... so are you definately choosing lincoln?

I thought you were, I think you helped me out with a faulty wire!
Also thanks for the maths info, got some summer studying to do now!
Hi, I will be doing CS this year in Lincoln...How is the course ?? Is it easy to cope up if you have very little experience in CS and computer programming?
Reply 14
Oh did i? glad to have helped haha, though i think they could have made the applicant day more interesting, i got to play with a few robots during mine.... As long as you learn some C# you should be fine, thats the main people seem to be struggling on. Let me know if you need any more info
Reply 15
Original post by Subhodeep.S
Hi, I will be doing CS this year in Lincoln...How is the course ?? Is it easy to cope up if you have very little experience in CS and computer programming?

Yeah you should be fine, you get taught c# from scratch anyway. i know a few people that had never programed before and have done okay in the course. we did a tiny bit of java but you don't have to worry about it
Reply 16
Lincoln is my insurance, what are the Maths modules like? and is there any specific area which is concentrated on more? I have some experience in Python.
Reply 17
Original post by naf786
Lincoln is my insurance, what are the Maths modules like? and is there any specific area which is concentrated on more? I have some experience in Python.

These were my modules last year, they might change this year .. and in order of the lectures we had each week..
Linear Equations
Trigonometry and Vector I
Vector II and Matrix I
Matrix II
Set Theory I
Set Theory II
Logic I
Logic II
Calculus
Statistics

i think the most important stuff were linear algebra ,matrix, set theory and logic.. They are easy but you can pass them easily if you pay attention in lectures haha, i pretty much skipped the section on trigonometry and vectors and managed to pass the exam :smile:... hope this helps
Reply 18
These were my modules last year, they might change this year .. and in order of the lectures we had each week..
Linear Equations
Trigonometry and Vector I
Vector II and Matrix I
Matrix II
Set Theory I
Set Theory II
Logic I
Logic II
Calculus
Statistics

i think the most important stuff were linear algebra ,matrix, set theory and logic.. They are easy but you can pass them easily if you pay attention in lectures haha, i pretty much skipped the section on trigonometry and vectors and managed to pass the exam :smile:... hope this helps

Even though I don't like the Maths side of CS I think doing it gives you a better fundamental understanding of CS. Seeing the Maths modules I am surprised that there is a lot of emphasis on the Maths whereas other CS degree tend to have less.

Anyway how is the overall experience of Lincoln, taking the course and lifestyle into consideration?
Reply 19
Well, Lincoln is pretty awesome, mostly because of the fact that its tiny everything you need is in the center, i've never had to catch a bus anywhere.. The only annoying thing is the train tracks, i always seem to get caught on the way to lectures, even got me this morning on my way to an exam .. But yeah im loving the course and lincoln, just dreading year two when we have to learn C++

Quick Reply

Latest