The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

So I finally watched Napoleon Dynamite - pretty funny, but not as hilarious as I had expected.
I'm excited to see White House Down - story line looks great, cast looks great.

Original post by Deshi
This looks so good, can't wait, a new trailer for Man of Steel and Star Trek today :coma:

[video="youtube;5ec_rPApKCA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=5ec_rPApKCA&nomobile=1[/video]

:coma:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Olympus Has Fallen just came out and they have, like, the same storyline. :indiff: It's this year's The Raid/Dredd (set of twin films).

:lol: I wasn't aware of this film. Oh my. They are pretty identical. Hollywood do like to recycle films which require very little creative integrity in order to make quick $$$.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Olympus Has Fallen just came out and they have, like, the same storyline. :indiff: It's this year's The Raid/Dredd (set of twin films).

This years Paul Blart/Observe and Report.
Watched Iron Man 3 today, major spoilers.

Spoiler

Is the Last Stand worth watching?
Iron Man 3 was meh.
Original post by cambo211
Iron Man 3 was meh.

Why?

I was actually surprised. the trailer portrayed this dark theme but it was quite light hearted which I really liked. I was kind of hoping for the dark side of stark but it was awesome nonetheless. I enjoyed it especially Protocol House Party :sogood:
I enjoyed it very much when watching it, but looking back on it, it was just a bit all over the place.
The Place Beyond Pine worth watching?
Reply 8610
Housemate and I are attempting to watch every Best Picture Academy Award winner or nominee that one or both of us hasn't seen. So far we have watched Shawshank (unbelievably she hadn't seen it), and last night we watched Winter's Bone which is really good but bleak as hell!

Next on the agenda is Shakespeare In Love because it is the first one we saw on her shelf. :cool:
Original post by Iamyourfather
:lol: I wasn't aware of this film. Oh my. They are pretty identical. Hollywood do like to recycle films which require very little creative integrity in order to make quick $$$.

And apparently it's rubbish (Olympus, that is)

Original post by aja89
Housemate and I are attempting to watch every Best Picture Academy Award winner or nominee that one or both of us hasn't seen. So far we have watched Shawshank (unbelievably she hadn't seen it), and last night we watched Winter's Bone which is really good but bleak as hell!

Wow! That sounds like some project! Going back how far?

Yes, Winter's Bone is superb.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8612
Original post by Plato's Trousers
And apparently it's rubbish (Olympus, that is)

Wow! That sounds like some project! Going back how far?

Yes, Winter's Bone is superb.

Going back all the way. :colone:
Reply 8613
Original post by aja89

Next on the agenda is Shakespeare In Love because it is the first one we saw on her shelf. :cool:

Winter's Bone is excellent. :yep:

Re-watched My Left Foot today, also really good. :yep: Emotional stuff. Daniel Day-Lewis is mesmerising and Brenda Fricker is great as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aja89
Going back all the way. :colone:

You do realise the Oscars started in 1929...? That's a hell of a lot of films.

Just saw Rebellion. Stunningly good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Roobsa
Does anyone know if The Eagle is supposed to be any good?

I watched it 3 times going to the states last year on the plane, my God; if you like bland, emotionless and frankly dank story lines, this is a good film.

I have to admit, the scene with the savage child was chilling, but overall, bit weak. The pace was slow, the relationship felt artificial and wrong, the chemistry wasn't right, I don't know how to put it. Think of your question as some milk left in the fridge and you're wondering whether it's still good. From my point of view, no; but you may have a stronger stomach for it.
Reply 8616
Watched Ghost last night. Enjoyable but pretty average really, surprised it was nominated for Best Picture. Whoopi Goldberg was good though.
Anyone seen the 2010 Australian film Animal Kingdom? I saw it last night. I have to throw it out there- one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's not been seen by very many people at all, which is such a shame, because it's an absolute gem.

It follows the life of a Melbourne crime family and their downfall. It's not the typical 'gangster' movie, though. I won't ruin it.

From Wikipedia:

Animal Kingdom has received overwhelming critical acclaim. Review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes reports that 97% of critics have given the film a positive review, "Certified Fresh", based on 146 reviews, with an average score of 8.1 out of 10. The critical consensus is: "With confident pacing, a smart script, and a top-notch cast, Animal Kingdom represents the best the Australian film industry has to offer."[11]
David Stratton said on At the Movies: "It's so lovely to see a really good Australian film. And we're not admiring this because it's an Australian film, because it's a very good film," adding, "The revelation here is Jacki Weaver, always a fine actor but seldom revealing the depths of character she does here. All the performances are superb, down to the small parts - like Dan Wyllie as the family's lawyer and Anna Lisa Phillips [sic] as Josh's barrister." Stratton and co-host Margaret Pomeranz both gave the film four and a half stars
Reply 8618
Original post by navarre
Anyone seen the 2010 Australian film Animal Kingdom? I saw it last night. I have to throw it out there- one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's not been seen by very many people at all, which is such a shame, because it's an absolute gem.

It follows the life of a Melbourne crime family and their downfall. It's not the typical 'gangster' movie, though. I won't ruin it.

From Wikipedia:

Animal Kingdom has received overwhelming critical acclaim. Review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes reports that 97% of critics have given the film a positive review, "Certified Fresh", based on 146 reviews, with an average score of 8.1 out of 10. The critical consensus is: "With confident pacing, a smart script, and a top-notch cast, Animal Kingdom represents the best the Australian film industry has to offer."[11]
David Stratton said on At the Movies: "It's so lovely to see a really good Australian film. And we're not admiring this because it's an Australian film, because it's a very good film," adding, "The revelation here is Jacki Weaver, always a fine actor but seldom revealing the depths of character she does here. All the performances are superb, down to the small parts - like Dan Wyllie as the family's lawyer and Anna Lisa Phillips [sic] as Josh's barrister." Stratton and co-host Margaret Pomeranz both gave the film four and a half stars

:yep: I really liked it as well. Excellent ending, and some of the individual scenes are so well done. That year was a really good year for mainstream films imo. :moon:

Also, watched A Separation yesterday. It's fantastic. Highly, highly recommended, every element wound up tight and done close to perfection (though I still think Once Upon a Time in Anatolia was the best film I watched that year!).
Reply 8619
So, I watched Cool Hand Luke a couple of days ago - another one off the list! :awesome: - and I liked it, it was very well shot and Paul Newman was pretty awesome in it.

Spoiler

And yesterday, I watched Take Shelter, liked that as well! It was beautifully shot and composed, and the pacing was just right, I felt. Some of the scenes were very well-directed, and Michael Shannon was absolutely great in it - he really should be getting more lead roles. I liked Jessica Chastain in it as well, her character here was very different from what she played in Zero Dark Thirty or The Tree of Life.

However,

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest