The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by blondie24
Yeah feel like im under soo much pressure this summer! don't want to do any AS's next year :redface: this exams worth 50% so i'm really aiming for an A but i'll need all the help i can get! Personally i think ES is the hardest module for this exam :angry:

I didn't find ES too bad tbh, just starting PR now (yeah, a bit late I know) and that looks pretty tricky from what i can see, guess it's personal opinion:tongue: And don't worry about the re-sit, now you have more experience you can do so much better, trust me! If there's anything you struggle with feel free to PM and i'll see if i can help, or you can post on this thread so anyone else can as well:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cheetahs56
I didn't find ES too bad tbh, just starting PR now (yeah, a bit late I know) and that looks pretty tricky from what i can see, guess it's personal opinion:tongue: And don't worry about the re-sit, now you have more experience you can do so much better, trust me! If there's anything you struggle with feel free to PM and i'll see if i can help, or you can post on this thread so anyone else can as well:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You guys are really on this! I haven't started a single paper yet, I hope I'm not the only one. I just finished with A2 chemistry, and unit 1 AS chemistry revision and i'm focusing on A2 biology right now. Hoping to start on the papers about a week before the exam, so everything will still be fresh in my head.
Reply 82
Original post by nukethemaly
You guys are really on this! I haven't started a single paper yet, I hope I'm not the only one. I just finished with A2 chemistry, and unit 1 AS chemistry revision and i'm focusing on A2 biology right now. Hoping to start on the papers about a week before the exam, so everything will still be fresh in my head.

I haven't done any papers either, still revising:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
I concur, 47/60 in my coursework leaves me under massive pressure.....:angry:

I had 60/60 of in the course work :P now time to revise the CONTENT so boring........... that fat book is deadly at putting people to sleep.
Reply 84
Original post by LAZYABDI
I had 60/60 of in the course work :P now time to revise the CONTENT so boring........... that fat book is deadly at putting people to sleep.

How did you get 60/60! I got a high A on the F331 in Jan but have so much trouble with practical work. Any advice for Skills 3 and 4?
Reply 85
Original post by KleoKyp
How did you get 60/60! I got a high A on the F331 in Jan but have so much trouble with practical work. Any advice for Skills 3 and 4?

Didnt Revise AT ALL for F331 thus i got a D so i decided i will rape chemistry from march so when we did skills 2 our teacher hinted that skill 3 would be a practical and there would be working outs for skills 4. So i revised all the content on it before doing it thus resulting in 60/60 now all i have to do get 180 ums in both exams for my A :tongue:. i would advice cover cotent relating to the experiment you did skills 4 will be about a colour test and observation of bubbles and percipitates and all the good stuff :P so pay close attention to your practicle. Revise ketones and all that good stuff :biggrin:. Good luck :P Edit: Its about 4 question long part a , b ,c, d will all be chemistry linked. so revise the equation properly infact there will be something about alkenes on skills 4 if i am not mistaken.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 86
Ahhhh, I recognise some of you from the January thread. Hope you all got the grade you wanted!

I've worked out I need to get 109/150 UMS for my A, and I've been getting between 75-80% so I'm reasonably confident. Only thing I was consistently getting incorrect was the bloody reagents and conditions- whoever posted that document of them YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE LIFE SAVER. Also, nucleophilic substitution and electrophilic addition felt like they took YEARS for me to understand.

From doing the past papers it appears to me that the papers are either incredibly good (like Jan) or absolutely brutal, with high grade boundaries despite the difficulty. Not to scare people, but due to the fact that January was reasonably straightforward (there wasn't anything that wasn't in previous years' papers), I think that this F332 will be an absolute bitch! :frown:

Does anyone know, typically, what the raw mark boundaries are for an A and B? I've heard people saying that 59 was a B, but I don't think that's right...
Can someone explain how the coursework for this AS course works? I have done two practical based activities so far - one on 'Measuring' and one on 'Observation' - and also two theory based activities - one on 'Interpretation' and one on 'Analysis'. Each of the four activities were out of 12 marks, so how does this add up to the 60 marks for the coursework? Or do I still have one more coursework activity to do?
Reply 88
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Can someone explain how the coursework for this AS course works? I have done two practical based activities so far - one on 'Measuring' and one on 'Observation' - and also two theory based activities - one on 'Interpretation' and one on 'Analysis'. Each of the four activities were out of 12 marks, so how does this add up to the 60 marks for the coursework? Or do I still have one more coursework activity to do?

Your practical skills are also assessed throughout the year. Your teacher gives you another mark out of 12 for how safely you worked, how good some of your write ups to practicals were (if you did any) etc. :smile:
Reply 89
I am revising for chemistry F331 Elements of Life and Developing fuel what would be a common strategy for tackling huge content i dont remember anything cause my teacher is so boring and the book is black and white.... :frown: Any way of approaching revision for chemistry will help.
Reply 90
I am revising for chemistry F331 Elements of Life and Developing fuel what would be a common strategy for tackling huge content i dont remember anything cause my teacher is so boring and the book is black and white.... :frown: Any way of approaching revision for chemistry will help.

For F331, I found doing loads of past papers and learning the mark schemes was really good as they questions were quite repetitive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Thanks very much man will do but first need to redo all the content..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usycool1
Your practical skills are also assessed throughout the year. Your teacher gives you another mark out of 12 for how safely you worked, how good some of your write ups to practicals were (if you did any) etc. :smile:

I see - much clearer now. Thanks :smile:
Reply 93
For the f333 coursework, why are grade boundaries so high? I think it's 54/60 for an A, 90%? Surely an A for the coursework should be 80%, 48/60?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 94
So guys 17 days till f331 how you guys revising from this horrendous book? :colone: i am just reading over everything my teacher is boring.
Reply 95
So guys 17 days till f331 how you guys revising from this horrendous book? :colone: i am just reading over everything my teacher is boring.

Do all past papers
Reply 96
Original post by krisshP
Do all past papers

Ye but forgot most of elements of life and developing fuels. :frown: so need to re read eveything
Reply 97
ANYONE HAVE NOTES ON ELEMENTS OF LIFE AND DEVELOPING FUELS I NEED CONDENSED NOTES PLEASE THANKS! :smile: As soon as possible
Reply 98
Original post by krisshP
For the f333 coursework, why are grade boundaries so high? I think it's 54/60 for an A, 90%? Surely an A for the coursework should be 80%, 48/60?

I've seen it and been told by teachers it's 51-ish?:wink:. And apparently because a lot of schools cheat, i.e. helping students way too much so they get really high marks inflating grade boundaries:angry:

And you're right fella, should be 80% raw= 80 UMS but for some reason it isn't. Especially since I got 47 which basically cancels out my A in F331 and means I need another A in F332, although tbh I think I needed one anyway it brings my UMS score down:mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Especially since I got 47 which basically cancels out my A in F331 and means I need another A in F332, although tbh I think I needed one anyway it brings my UMS score down:mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get for the competence mark? Do teachers generally give everyone a 12 for this?