The Student Room Group

Bath or Warwick?

I have applied to Bath and Warwick for Politics and Economics and had offers from both Unis that I think I'll get without problem.. As I live in Belgium, I didn't get the chance to visit both places and really don't know which one to choose! Which one do you think is better academically speaking? Which one is better to live in? Which one has the best facilities? Which one has the best nightlife? Also which one is the most international?
I would really appreciate any help! :smile:
Reply 1
Both are very good universities - Wawick is usually slightly higher in the league tables, but both are always ranked in the top 10 in the UK.

From the impression I got when visiting them, Bath is a much nicer place to live - Warwick university seemed too far from any town centre.

and I think that Warwick is slightly more international, just because it is more well known outside the UK.
Original post by THR
I have applied to Bath and Warwick for Politics and Economics and had offers from both Unis that I think I'll get without problem.. As I live in Belgium, I didn't get the chance to visit both places and really don't know which one to choose! Which one do you think is better academically speaking? Which one is better to live in? Which one has the best facilities? Which one has the best nightlife? Also which one is the most international?
I would really appreciate any help! :smile:

Hi THR

I work at the University of Bath in Admissions. I don't really know anything about Warwick so I can't advise you which one would be best for you, however, I can help point you in the direction of some information that may help you decide. :smile:

As you haven't had the opportunity to visit, you may want to use our virtual tour facility: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/virtual-tour. You can listen and watch the "Choosing Bath" talk from Open Day here: http://coursecast.bath.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer/Default.aspx?id=b58fb2d1-e0e8-4664-bd4d-ddd879c0306e. You can also watch a video from the Open Day here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/opendays. Hopefully, these may help you get a bit of a feel for what the campus is like and whether you would like to study here.

However, I'd also recommend that you spend some time researching what you would actually be studying on the two courses. Whilst the campus, facilities etc are really important, it's also really important that you enjoy the course you are studying. You can find out more about the Politics with Economics programme here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/politics-economics/detail/ - make sure you click on the pink links to take you through to the detailed information about the units.

Hope that helps a bit. If I can answer any questions for you, just quote me and I will come back to you. :smile:
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi THR

I work at the University of Bath in Admissions. I don't really know anything about Warwick so I can't advise you which one would be best for you, however, I can help point you in the direction of some information that may help you decide. :smile:

As you haven't had the opportunity to visit, you may want to use our virtual tour facility: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/virtual-tour. You can listen and watch the "Choosing Bath" talk from Open Day here: http://coursecast.bath.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer/Default.aspx?id=b58fb2d1-e0e8-4664-bd4d-ddd879c0306e. You can also watch a video from the Open Day here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/opendays. Hopefully, these may help you get a bit of a feel for what the campus is like and whether you would like to study here.

However, I'd also recommend that you spend some time researching what you would actually be studying on the two courses. Whilst the campus, facilities etc are really important, it's also really important that you enjoy the course you are studying. You can find out more about the Politics with Economics programme here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/politics-economics/detail/ - make sure you click on the pink links to take you through to the detailed information about the units.

Hope that helps a bit. If I can answer any questions for you, just quote me and I will come back to you. :smile:

Could I ask about admission for international students as well please ?

I used to contact UG admission and was told that mature students without formal qualifications are not welcomed to apply. I was really upset by their reply.

Many thanks in advance.

Matthew

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello !! Where are you "University of Bath" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Prospective UK
Now I know that University of Bath is so narrow-minded that they don't care about mature students at all, they only regard clever students with great grade to study with them. You lack such a morality and attitude since you don't give any opportunity for student with different backgrounds !!!!!

You sound so ****ing suicidal, I'm sure they'll reply to you next time they come online, relax bro!
Now I know that University of Bath is so narrow-minded that they don't care about mature students at all, they only regard clever students with great grade to study with them. You lack such a morality and attitude since you don't give any opportunity for student with different backgrounds !!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the weekend - they won't be working.

I also think that something was lost in translation when you contacted them. Did you phone or use email?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dear Prospective UK

Apologies that I did not respond to you earlier - as someone suggested, it was the weekend and so I wasn't working. :smile:

I'm sorry that you were clearly very upset by the fact that we are unable to make offers to mature students without formal qualifications. I'd like to reassure you that we very much welcome applications from mature students, as we feel that they can offer a great deal to our university. In fact, I have personally been very much involved in developing progression routes for mature students to the University of Bath and I am also involved in many interviews each year for mature students. I know that there are certainly a few mature students on TSR who have received offers from the University of Bath.

We very much welcome applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds as we believe that a diverse student population can only be a positive thing. However, it is essential that we ensure that all students are fully prepared for the academic challenge of our courses: it would not be fair to make an offer to a student who wouldn't be able to succeed on our programmes and make the most of the experiences that the University can offer. Therefore, it is important that any student applying to the University has evidence of recent study of a suitable level in a recognised qualification (many of our mature applicants choose to study a one-year Access to HE Diploma). It would also not be fair to the students who study extremely hard to meet the challenging entry grades that we set for our programmes, if we allowed other students access without any qualifications.

I hope that this helps to answer your query but I am happy to answer any other queries that you might have. :smile:
Dear Prospective UK

Apologies that I did not respond to you earlier - as someone suggested, it was the weekend and so I wasn't working. :smile:

I'm sorry that you were clearly very upset by the fact that we are unable to make offers to mature students without formal qualifications. I'd like to reassure you that we very much welcome applications from mature students, as we feel that they can offer a great deal to our university. In fact, I have personally been very much involved in developing progression routes for mature students to the University of Bath and I am also involved in many interviews each year for mature students. I know that there are certainly a few mature students on TSR who have received offers from the University of Bath.

We very much welcome applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds as we believe that a diverse student population can only be a positive thing. However, it is essential that we ensure that all students are fully prepared for the academic challenge of our courses: it would not be fair to make an offer to a student who wouldn't be able to succeed on our programmes and make the most of the experiences that the University can offer. Therefore, it is important that any student applying to the University has evidence of recent study of a suitable level in a recognised qualification (many of our mature applicants choose to study a one-year Access to HE Diploma). It would also not be fair to the students who study extremely hard to meet the challenging entry grades that we set for our programmes, if we allowed other students access without any qualifications.

I hope that this helps to answer your query but I am happy to answer any other queries that you might have. :smile:

I'm terribly sorry for being very impolite in this thread. Due to living outside UK, my timeframe is different to yours and led to my confusion. I'm just a bit depressed since many Universities refused to consider my application and Bath has been the one of some that I really want to go but I was refused by the officer before I could explain my situation to him. Again please accept my regretful apologies for this.

Thank you very much. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm terribly sorry for being very impolite in this thread. Due to living outside UK, my timeframe is different to yours and led to my confusion. I'm just a bit depressed since many Universities refused to consider my application and Bath has been the one of some that I really want to go but I was refused by the officer before I could explain my situation to him. Again please accept my regretful apologies for this.

Thank you very much. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, why don't you explain what academic qualifications you have and what you plan to have? There is no point in getting annoyed about someone not giving you the opportunity to explain yourself if you're not actually willing to explain yourself. I am a mature applicant who will, pending my grades, be attending Bath next year. They have been nothing but helpful since i started dealing with them last year.

Thank you very much. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Prospective UK

No problem. :smile:

Sorry to hear that you have been so unhappy about the application process. I'm also sorry that you felt that you didn't have the opportunity to explain your situation fully. If you feel that you would like to explain your circumstances fully, the best thing you can do is write an email ([email protected]) and then we will respond to you. However, if you do not have any qualifications, we wouldn't be able to admit you, regardless of your personal circumstances, as explained in my previous response.

I'm not sure which course you are hoping to study, but if you were very keen to study at the University of Bath, you could look into taking a one year Access to HE Diploma, which are accepted by many (but not all - do check the website) of our programmes. If you then met the required grades, you could apply again to the University.
Hi Prospective UK

No problem. :smile:

Sorry to hear that you have been so unhappy about the application process. I'm also sorry that you felt that you didn't have the opportunity to explain your situation fully. If you feel that you would like to explain your circumstances fully, the best thing you can do is write an email ([email protected]) and then we will respond to you. However, if you do not have any qualifications, we wouldn't be able to admit you, regardless of your personal circumstances, as explained in my previous response.

I'm not sure which course you are hoping to study, but if you were very keen to study at the University of Bath, you could look into taking a one year Access to HE Diploma, which are accepted by many (but not all - do check the website) of our programmes. If you then met the required grades, you could apply again to the University.

Dear Bath

Thank you very much for your query. My current qualifications that I gave to the Admission office are as following
1. Successful completion of first year from University in my home country with GPA > 3.0 (I'm not sure whether this is accepted here but it was totally accepted by University of York , University of Nottingham , Lancaster University. ^_^ ).
2. My IELTS scores is 7.5 (7.5,8.5,6.5,6.5)
3. SAT subject test scores in Mathematics of 770/800 from level one and 800/800 from level two.

I wish to apply for Economics or Mathematics program.

Thank you so much.^_^

Matthew

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply.

Can I ask that you forward this information, along with details of the first year you have already completed (institution, modules studied, results of any exams) to [email protected]

This information will then reach the relevant admissions officers for Economics and Maths and we will be able to reply accordingly.

Hope you have a good weekend!
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply.

Can I ask that you forward this information, along with details of the first year you have already completed (institution, modules studied, results of any exams) to [email protected]

This information will then reach the relevant admissions officers for Economics and Maths and we will be able to reply accordingly.

Hope you have a good weekend!

Thank you very much !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Warwick outranks Bath by a considerable margin. Go to Warwick.
Reply 16
Original post by MAINE.
Warwick outranks Bath by a considerable margin. Go to Warwick.

Bath is an infinitely better place to live though. So, go to Bath.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending