The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5720
Original post by Cinnie
Me :smile: I threw what I thought I was going to be eating out of the window and just did what everyone else was doing. I wouldn't even have eaten rice with my food. I thought of it as just extra calories, but just thought who cares, nice to have a change :smile:

So happy for you toto :smile:

Cinnie, INCREDIBLE! How did you feel, matching like for like? Knowing this is not off, weird, mad... It's what normal is! Using a normal mind to lead you back to true sanity?

I'm so happy you managed it sweetpea. You're an inspiration to all struggling people here xxx
Original post by TotoMimo
This weekend at the stag weekend I have adhered to the "Mimic Therapy". Who else has? I've eaten venison, sandwiches... Egg on toast. My comfort zones have been tested and I've never been more happy.

I've been normal for three days. I am ecstatic. I am free. No scales, no regulation, only mimicking my fellow normie!

Who else tried the mimic therapy this weekend? Xx

I didn't do the mimic thing but I went to the annual Exeter Food and Drink Festival. The food was incredible and there were free samples everywhere. I indulged but not overly so and I didn't feel remotely fat or guilty afterwards! I know I've been recovered but sometimes days like this can still be hard. I'm glad I've done this though because I will remember the day as a day full of fun and good memories. x
Original post by jazzykinks
I didn't do the mimic thing but I went to the annual Exeter Food and Drink Festival. The food was incredible and there were free samples everywhere. I indulged but not overly so and I didn't feel remotely fat or guilty afterwards! I know I've been recovered but sometimes days like this can still be hard. I'm glad I've done this though because I will remember the day as a day full of fun and good memories. x

PRSOM! Grrr!

But, WOW!! Well done you!! Glad you had a great day :smile:
Reply 5723
I'm sort of forced to do the Mimic thing every night because I'm lucky to have Mum cook my dinner, although it's scary too not always knowing.
Tonight it's quite a tricky one (involves chips and fried rice which I haven't eaten since this started) but I'm going to give it a go :smile:

Oh I had McDonalds before this Metallica tribute band I saw. Chicken Legend and even the chips :smile: plus once I was in there who cares what I ate, the music was mind-blowing! I got fed and I saw the best James Hetfield impression this side of the Atlantic :P

High-five to everyone who fought their fears this weekend :biggrin:
Reply 5724
Original post by Riku
I'm sort of forced to do the Mimic thing every night because I'm lucky to have Mum cook my dinner, although it's scary too not always knowing.
Tonight it's quite a tricky one (involves chips and fried rice which I haven't eaten since this started) but I'm going to give it a go :smile:

Oh I had McDonalds before this Metallica tribute band I saw. Chicken Legend and even the chips :smile: plus once I was in there who cares what I ate, the music was mind-blowing! I got fed and I saw the best James Hetfield impression this side of the Atlantic :P

High-five to everyone who fought their fears this weekend :biggrin:

Well done you! Glad you had a great time :smile:
So I went to do the mimic method, and failed horribly because we went to the boyfriend's parents for a bbq and had a lot to drink, and then he was hungover this morning and there was rolls and bacon, crisps etc.
Reply 5726
I went down to a day at the sea in Dawlish on Saturday with two friends, and basically made myself try the mimic thing. I don't regret it! In the places we visited in Dawlish, Cockwood and Starcross there was nowhere where I could buy any of my 'safe' options, so I just decided to follow what my friends, who are both are a healthy weight, were having. Having fish and chips with them for lunch at the seaside just helped me feel like a normal human being again! :smile: The beach is not the place for salad and vegetables!

Thanks for suggesting it Toto :smile:. I just wish I had the confidence to do it more often :smile: I'll have to try and work on it :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5727
I am overwhelmed by the amount of success stories from the "Mimic Method" this weekend. This takes incredible strength of character and real DESIRE to be well again to undertake.

I'm not asking anyone to pretend to be someone they're not; merely use a peer, a healthy person, as a gauge to normality. Normal people have a takeaway now and again. Normal people put a wee dod of butter on a baked potato. Normal people fancy a packet of crisps, or an apple, or a sandwich. You just see what they do, and mimic it, and if you enjoy it, you latently want to have that life back again.

I understand that people find this technique overwhelming and failed this weekend, but this is why I state you should choose a day, one random day, and stick to it, every week. A day you know someone will be available.

Unlike many therapies that require you to mirror ONE behaviour, this one asks if possible, you choose different people to mimic. So one week, your best pal, next week, your mum, next week, an old uni pal, and so forth. It helps your mind create a subconscious average. This shouldn't be misconstrued as a "treat day". It's more like a "normality day". Every other day is below the normal, and this day IS the normal. Get it?

After an entire three days of madness, I can clearly say that my own mimic Stag Weekend was clearly not standard normal, but I endeavoured to not choose the garden salad on our trip to McDonalds on the road to the Highlands, and I didn't order a cup of tea whilst they ate their eggs on toast in the Bistro.

Each day I chose a different person to mimic. The first day, it was my friend from Uni I was travelling to the highland venue with. We stopped at McDonalds and I had a cheeseburger and chicken bites. Then when we finally got there at 6ish, I had a lovely fillet of venison with veg and mustard mash, then proceeded to drink until the wee hours and eat crisps almost one for one.

The second day I copied the stag's father, a slightly older guy. He had poached egg on toast for breakfast, and so did I. He had coffee, I had tea (same deal, really; i hate coffee!). Then in the afternoon we did archery, got some sandwiches and tea, then did some lazer tag. Then we proceeded to slam the (reasonably healthy til now) day in the backside and go out on the town, had many, many beers, and then we had Chinese (I had stirfry fish and broccoli), then we wound the night down in the wooden highland cabin with brandy and a big bowl of pretzels between us.

On the third day, I went for a big long walk to Kinloss (3 miles or so) with the stag to brush off the ol' hangover, had some tea there, and some cereal. I got an apple to take with me, and we ate our fruit in the car. After packing it all away, we drove down, dropped some people off in Dundee, then decided to stop off in Pizza Hut and I had a 500-cal Shrimply Delicious Pizzetta, and the last of us went to Tesco for a sweet as we were all low on money. Everyone seemed to think the 5-pack of bakery cookies was the way forward! We shared ten out between four of us for the duration of the trip, and when I got home, I had a cuppa, and BED!

Spoiler

If you inherently WANT to be better, this feeling is the greatest in the world. Elation like when you were a child, freedom, pride. It's something I cannot explain, but something I want to experience again soon.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5728
And once again, Toto's post has turned me into an over-emotional mess, brimming with pride and happiness for someone who I've never even met. Incredible work dude, so so so glad you had such a great weekend.
And it's awesome that you're happiness is more important to you than the number... I often forget that that's even possible.
Again, very inspiring! And it's been great to hear about everyone else doing really well over the weekend too, following your idea :smile:

I didn't do quite as well, but not too badly either. Looking forward to getting exams out of the way so I can really focus on moving forward!
Toto, I am so SO proud of you!
Reply 5730
Toto, I would rep you, but it isn't allowing me too at the moment :frown: I'm incredibly proud of you, and I'm so happy for you fella :smile:
Original post by TotoMimo

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Proud of you :smile: Have to say, one of my motivators for reaching and maintaining a healthier weight was to have a nice pair of jeans that actually fit!

Spoiler

I bet you look better than ever! It was a guy at work who said to me once "all skinny girls should eat and go to the gym, there is nothing hotter than a girl with toned legs. Oh, and do lots of squats. Appreciating the squats." He was joking (kind of) and it made me laugh but the essence of what he said is true, it's a lot more attractive to have a body that's CARED for and not NEGLECTED.
So I made a thread in Sexual Health about this but I'm going to talk here too, because I feel like you guys understand more, maybe.

Spoiler

I agree. My younger sister is 16 and a gymnast - mega toned, muscly, absolutely gorgeous and weighs more than me. If I could look like her, I would be one happy girl :smile:
I swear I have no muscle at the moment. Sad times when your legs ache from walking up 3 flights of stairs...
Original post by rubixcyoob
x

Spoiler

Original post by Gnome :)
Proud of you :smile: Have to say, one of my motivators for reaching and maintaining a healthier weight was to have a nice pair of jeans that actually fit!

Hun, I cannot tell you how nice it is to have my curves on show in tight jeans. Before, my jeans were just hanging off my bum, now they fit as they should! It's a good motivation to have and I feel so womanly and strong. My weight gain has been a little of the fat (it's strange but if I eat creamy and oily things, it always goes to my boobs and bum) but mostly muscle because I've been pumping the weights! x

Original post by MelissaJayne
I bet you look better than ever! It was a guy at work who said to me once "all skinny girls should eat and go to the gym, there is nothing hotter than a girl with toned legs. Oh, and do lots of squats. Appreciating the squats." He was joking (kind of) and it made me laugh but the essence of what he said is true, it's a lot more attractive to have a body that's CARED for and not NEGLECTED.

To be honest, I DO look better than ever. This is the heaviest I have been in 3 years AND I LOVE IT. I look so healthy and strong. I look womanly. I feel strong and amazing. I also feel extremely confident. I care for my body. I nourish it with good things and the weekly treat but I work out. You CAN have a lovely, thin but strong body. All it takes is moderation of every kind and inner strength to continue. I feel so good right now. I never thought I'd be happy with my body, even after the anorexia -- I still suffered from BDD. But now? I don't have a perfect body. Perfection is not achievable. But if someone asked me to strut my stuff in a bikini, I'd rip my clothes off and take a stride of pride! x
Original post by Cinnie
^ That was me

Thank you x

I still have this week before the pill strip even finishes, and the wait is the worst part as either way, it's still too early for me to do anything to find out really.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest