The Student Room Group
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University

Why is Edinburgh Napier University considered by some people as a 'bad' university?

Can I request this thread be deleted?

Mods?

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because Edinburgh University is superior. Why buy a fake iphone when you can buy a real iphone?
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University
Original post by Namige
Because Edinburgh University is superior. Why buy a fake iphone when you can buy a real iphone?

Because not everyone can afford the real iPhone.

Does the fake one still make calls? Yes.
Does it still send texts? Yes.

Sure the real iPhone looks more impressive, but the fake iPhone still does everything that you're looking for in a phone. And if the owner of the fake iPhone is happy using the fake iPhone then that's what matters.
Reply 3
Because it doesn't have as much prestige than other unis and as such it is not held in as high regard as employers? Personally, this is the first time I've heard of it (I have applied to university this year) and that must kinda indicate its status.
Reply 4
Original post by Djordje
Because it doesn't have as much prestige than other unis and as such it is not held in as high regard as employers? Personally, this is the first time I've heard of it (I have applied to university this year) and that must kinda indicate its status.

That is certainly true,it doesn't have as much prestige as more well known universities such as Edinburgh. However,if,as I said previously,I combine my foreign language skills,good degree classification and work experience,do I stand a chance in the job market,despite going to a less prestigious university?

Of course,as part of going to university there is the social side and friendships to be made but that is not something that is concerning me right now.
Original post by OddThings
I have,after a lengthy UCAS process, I have firmed an unconditional offer to study German,Spanish and Intercultural Communication at Edinburgh Napier University. After reading around this forum,other forums and social networking sites, I have learnt of the opinion that many people seem to hold,that Napier is a rubbish university,and a degree from there is not worth anything.

I do not support this view,as the course I have firmed looks really good and allows me to study what I want in a nice enviromment,not only the Craiglockhart campus itself but Edinburgh as a whole and if I combine my natural passion for the subject with relevant work experience and activity within the university my employment prospects should be good.

I thought I would pose this question to the forum and to other applicants to try to understand this.

If you like the University and the course, go for it. It's your choice, no one else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Daniel Gibson
If you like the University and the course, go for it. It's your choice, no one else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again,this is a perfectly valid point but,perhaps due to the influences of people on here and some friends,I am now beginning to worry about my possible naievity ,that a good classification,work experience etc..will count for nought in the harsh employment market if I gain it from a lower ranked university. I am not aiming for high flying jobs but something that I am happy with and pays decently enough(this is without taking into consideration possible further postgraduate study)
(edited 10 years ago)
Again,this is a perfectly valid point but,perhaps due to the influences of people on here and some friends,I am now beginning to worry about my possible naievity ,that a good classification,work experience etc..will count for nought in the harsh employment market if I gain it from a lower ranked university. I am not aiming for high flying jobs but something that I am happy with and pays decently enough(this is without taking into consideration possible further postgraduate study)

Here are the employment statistics for people taking that course at Napier.
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007772-U34501

Don't listen to anyone on here, nearly everyone on here are snobs. If you don't attend a Russell Group University you're suddenly deemed incapable of going to university. It's total BS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Popppppy
Here are the employment statistics for people taking that course at Napier.
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007772-U34501

God,my research skills do seem to rather poor :colondollar: Apologies and thank you for linking me to that site. The employment prospects don't seem to be that bad,especially taking into account the current economic climate,with room for hopeful progression. Would you say my degree could be classified as 'mickey mouse'?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Daniel Gibson
Don't listen to anyone on here, nearly everyone on here are snobs. If you don't attend a Russell Group University you're suddenly deemed incapable of going to university. It's total BS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is quite a sweeping view but I do agree to a certain extent the snobbish attitude on here is quite prolific.However does tis prevailing attitude not have some basis in truth,evidence to support it? Otherwise people would not say it so readily.
Reply 11
That is certainly true,it doesn't have as much prestige as more well known universities such as Edinburgh. However,if,as I said previously,I combine my foreign language skills,good degree classification and work experience,do I stand a chance in the job market,despite going to a less prestigious university?

Of course,as part of going to university there is the social side and friendships to be made but that is not something that is concerning me right now.

You do stand a chance, of course, but as a graduate from a less prestigious uni, you definitely have to stand out more in other areas such as the ones you mentioned. Other candidates from more prestigious ones have a head start and that is unfair in my opinion. I have an offer from University of Edinburgh and the main reason I applied are all the qualities a good university has that are present in Edinburgh as well as the 'prestige' aka regard in which employers hold it.
Reply 12
Original post by Djordje
You do stand a chance, of course, but as a graduate from a less prestigious uni, you definitely have to stand out more in other areas such as the ones you mentioned. Other candidates from more prestigious ones have a head start and that is unfair in my opinion. I have an offer from University of Edinburgh and the main reason I applied are all the qualities a good university has that are present in Edinburgh as well as the 'prestige' aka regard in which employers hold it.

I am becoming increasingly aware of this,and I am certainly glad I realised this before I begin my degree than several years into the future. I do(perhaps naively and correct me if this suspicion is wrong) hope not all employers hold the prestige of a university in such high regard,over other such aforementioned factors.
(edited 10 years ago)
God,my research skills do seem to rather poor :colondollar: Apologies and thank you for linking me to that site. The employment prospects don't seem to be that bad,especially taking into account the current economic climate,with room for hopeful progression. Would you say my degree could be classified as 'mickey mouse'?

Not at all.
My sister did a languages degree and she ended up getting a job travelling the world, all over Europe, plus Japan and Australia.
According to this, Napier is actually in the top 10 universities for getting a job at the end.
Reply 15
Original post by Popppppy
Not at all.
My sister did a languages degree and she ended up getting a job travelling the world, all over Europe, plus Japan and Australia.

That is a secret dream of mine,I say secret,as I don't want to announce such a wish only for it not to happen. (to family or friends that is,it's hardly a secret on here now :tongue:)

:colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Smack
According to this, Napier is actually in the top 10 universities for getting a job at the end.

Interesting. However I do view such statistics with a pinch of scepticism,as although Napier is within this list and has a quoted employment rate of 93% or so,this doesn't mean that those in employment are in jobs that require a degree. Of course graduate jobs are hard to come by in this current climate and any job is better than no job in many cases.

I'm beginning to confuse and stress myself out.
Reply 17
I am becoming increasingly aware of this,and I am certainly glad I realised this before I begin my degree than several years into the future. I do(perhaps naively and correct me if this suspicion is wrong) hope not all employers hold the prestige of a university in such high regard,over other such aforementioned factors.

Abroad prestige is not as important as in UK I'd say.
Reply 18
Original post by Djordje
Abroad prestige is not as important as in UK I'd say.

I hope this rings true as I want to work in the respective countries where my second and third languages are spoken after graduation when I am able to.
Interesting. However I do view such statistics with a pinch of scepticism,as although Napier is within this list and has a quoted employment rate of 93% or so,this doesn't mean that those in employment are in jobs that require a degree. Of course graduate jobs are hard to come by in this current climate and any job is better than no job in many cases.

I'm beginning to confuse and stress myself out.

That's certainly possible, and if you don't want to go to Napier then don't.

Quick Reply

Latest