Shows how much C1-4 I need to revise :colondollar:
(Forgot most of vectors :L)

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you do?
Reply 42
Original post by brittanna
How did you do?

53 without the 7 extra marks. :/
I left out all Q4 and Q6, messed up in Q3, didn't really notice how to do 5b too -.-. I was kicking myself once I looked on solutions, and realised how simple these questions were.
Had an hour to spare. Which was expected actually >_>
but I haven't looked over my C1-4 stuff in ages(did it last year :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Is there an official AEA 2013 thread? Also, I'm thinking about putting myself in for AEA and STEP II this week, putting all my hopes on doing well in STEP I is a bit daunting. Then again, STEP I and AEA are on the same day this year which is bull**** -.-
Reply 45
Original post by Generic Name
Is there an official AEA 2013 thread? Also, I'm thinking about putting myself in for AEA and STEP II this week, putting all my hopes on doing well in STEP I is a bit daunting. Then again, STEP I and AEA are on the same day this year which is bull**** -.-

Can you enter for the AEA at anytime?
Original post by Generic Name

I guess this is probably the official AEA 2013 thread. Have you tried any STEP II papers? If so, how are you finding them? But either way, you should probably enter yourself for AEA as it is probably the easiest of the three exams.
Original post by Aqib7
Can you enter for the AEA at anytime?
Yes, but it'll cost double or triple now that it's past 22nd April, which I believe was the original deadline date.

Original post by brittanna
I guess this is probably the official AEA 2013 thread. Have you tried any STEP II papers? If so, how are you finding them? But either way, you should probably enter yourself for AEA as it is probably the easiest of the three exams.

For STEP II I can usually do a couple parts of the questions I'm usually good at, like integration/trig, but I'll usually struggle on the final parts, sometimes able to do it and other times I can't. I'm hopeless at vectors and stuff, which is why I'm a bit wary about picking AEA as the final question always seems to be a really hard vector question. I also need to work on sketching curves as that's a pretty big topic too in all 3 exams. AEA is easier than STEP overall, but if there's one really hard question that I can't get started on then I've pretty much missed out on the distinction, so I'm still not so sure. Going to do another paper now.
I just did the 2010 papers and got 93!

Spoiler

STEP I and AEA that had unusually high grade boundaries in 2010!
Reply 49
Which paper do you think is the most difficult, haven't done 2012 yet. Saving it tomorrow, but I wanna do something to get me into AEA mode after A-levels
Reply 50
Original post by jarasta
Which paper do you think is the most difficult, haven't done 2012 yet. Saving it tomorrow, but I wanna do something to get me into AEA mode after A-levels

I remember 2006 having a final question worth 20 marks that seemed particularly difficult. Also I think most of the papers before 2008 are considerably harder than the more recent ones, just my opinion though, I feel the newer ones seem to be worded nicer and give a few more hints as to what needs doing
Reply 51
Original post by outsider95
I remember 2006 having a final question worth 20 marks that seemed particularly difficult. Also I think most of the papers before 2008 are considerably harder than the more recent ones, just my opinion though, I feel the newer ones seem to be worded nicer and give a few more hints as to what needs doing

Yeah I know what you mean. Except the log on june 2012. GAarrr.
I sure hope we get question like the ones in june 2012 without a hard geometry one and the one like the log on last year. I don't mind the log ones in the previous years.
Reply 52
Original post by jarasta

I second 2006... that is probably the hardest paper
Reply 53
Original post by shamika
I second 2006... that is probably the hardest paper

thanks, I'll do it this afternoon :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by jarasta
Yeah I know what you mean. Except the log on june 2012. GAarrr.
I sure hope we get question like the ones in june 2012 without a hard geometry one and the one like the log on last year. I don't mind the log ones in the previous years.

I loved the trig proof question in June 2012 (3)! It just looks so complicated to start with, it felt great to actually be able to get an answer from something that at first looked fairly impossible to me
Reply 55
I loved the trig proof question in June 2012 (3)! It just looks so complicated to start with, it felt great to actually be able to get an answer from something that at first looked fairly impossible to me

Yeah it was pretty nice, I liked series ones generally, there was a nice fractal one on some old paper. But yeah, but once you notice where to go with the sum its nice. But it took me a while to get to the result, I was splitting tan(2x)=sin(2x)/cos(2x) :/
But I liked it, hated 4 and 5 though, ruined me! I like the rest especially 6 and 7 and the integration one I enjoyed, pretty much like it all except for q4 and 5. Disappointed I didn't do 4a though, :/, it was pretty easy in hindsight.

June 2006 q4 is such a pain in the neck in terms of the arithmetic
June 2006 wasn't so bad in terms of figuring except I found the numbers a pain to work with and I made quite a few mistakes that way. I couldn't do the first part of the last question, but the rest I could do. But it was a very messy algebra imo. The paper I think was just really messy :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by jarasta
Yeah it was pretty nice, I liked series ones generally, there was a nice fractal one on some old paper. But yeah, but once you notice where to go with the sum its nice. But it took me a while to get to the result, I was splitting tan(2x)=sin(2x)/cos(2x) :/
But I liked it, hated 4 and 5 though, ruined me! I like the rest especially 6 and 7 and the integration one I enjoyed, pretty much like it all except for q4 and 5. Disappointed I didn't do 4a though, :/, it was pretty easy in hindsight.

June 2006 q4 is such a pain in the neck in terms of the arithmetic
June 2006 wasn't so bad in terms of figuring except I found the numbers a pain to work with and I made quite a few mistakes that way. I couldn't do the first part of the last question, but the rest I could do. But it was a very messy algebra imo. The paper I think was just really messy :/

Last q on 2006 would've probably killed me if they didnt give you pretty much every answer in the question, but yeah, I couldn't do the first part either, didnt have a clue. Also with 2012, q4 was a nice one if you're confident with vectors, but I think the vector question is always the hardest one, just since notation can get messy and it's not always clear how to approach the question
Reply 57
Last q on 2006 would've probably killed me if they didnt give you pretty much every answer in the question, but yeah, I couldn't do the first part either, didnt have a clue. Also with 2012, q4 was a nice one if you're confident with vectors, but I think the vector question is always the hardest one, just since notation can get messy and it's not always clear how to approach the question

Yeah, I think I would have done it if I hadn't misread it. I applied the scalar triple product, I didn't notice they were position vectors :/. Should have realised that's not on the syllabus, also applied de-moivres to question 2 the integrating one to quickly get sin3x. Are you allowed to use things off syllabus btw?
Reply 58
Original post by jarasta
Yeah, I think I would have done it if I hadn't misread it. I applied the scalar triple product, I didn't notice they were position vectors :/. Should have realised that's not on the syllabus, also applied de-moivres to question 2 the integrating one to quickly get sin3x. Are you allowed to use things off syllabus btw?

I used de moivres too :wink:
I remember reading in the report that the examiners found it to be quite an efficient method. Don't worry about using more advanced stuff from further maths, it's the examiners job to know the correct methods, and if it is correct, they'll give you the marks
Reply 59
I used de moivres too :wink:
I remember reading in the report that the examiners found it to be quite an efficient method. Don't worry about using more advanced stuff from further maths, it's the examiners job to know the correct methods, and if it is correct, they'll give you the marks

Aaahh excellent, lets hope they have more questions where I can utilise further maths :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending