The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys.

Just so you're aware, we're about to make a few small tweaks to things to see how they work.

This includes making the orange buttons less bright to improve the contrast, changing the red colour on the negative rep thumbs on unrated posts, increasing the size of text in posts by one size, making the 'read' icon on the Who Quoted Me widget slightly lighter to improve contrast and a couple of small bug fixes like fixing the spoiler buttons for iPads and making all buttons use the 'hand' icon when you hover over them in Firefox. We've also made a couple of adjustments to the links and text used to say who a quote is by and where it is from.

We will likely say more on this later, but I just wanted to give a quick update now.
Reply 421
Original post by G8D
Why are you making post size bigger? :frown:

This ^
:woo:

The 'Original post by *username*' is restored with the 'Original Post' as the link.
Reply 423
I like the duller orange of the buttons and the way the negative thumb doesn't catch your eye anymore, but I'm not a fan of the larger post size. Then again, maybe I'll get used to it :smile:
Reply 424
I think post size bigger is good, because now at my 75% zoom I can read the text and the buttons aren't gigantic. Whereas before I either had tiny post text text and sensible everything else, or readable post text and huge buttons. Everything is a lot more in proportion now so I can set scale level I'm happy with.

It might be more useful to everyone to make the other stuff a little smaller so it's a good size at 100% - but I don't mind.

And yey, bold is back. (edit: well italic is anyway)
(edited 10 years ago)
Much better :yes:
Original post by G8D
Why are you making post size bigger? :frown:

Original post by Vulpes
This ^

Because loads of people complained it was too small to read.

One of the ways to fix this was to increase the size.

And what do you know? The first two people to post after it was done seem to be suggesting it's too big. You can never win! :wink:
Original post by RK

And what do you know? The first two people to post after it was done seem to be suggesting it's too big. You can never win! :wink:

:yy:
Reply 428
Much better. :yy:
Original post by RK

can't you just switch it back to the way it was before the recent update a couple days ago?

the text size and style was totally fine back then
Reply 430
Original post by RK

It's definitely an improvement.

Anyway, out of interest, is a fix to the glitch that all custom fonts are disabled and reverted to Arial on the cards for any time soon? This sentence here is supposed to be in Garamond.
I'm no expert on sentence case etc but i thought the first letter was suppose to be capitalized?

"reply to this thread", "thread tools" and "search thread" just look silly compared to
"Reply to this thread", "Thread tools" and "Search thread" imo...

"Reply To This Thread", "Thread Tools" and "Search Thread" actually looks nice as well but getting to sentence case on the whole looks alright and being consistent is key.
Update is fine, but the thing making me so mad is when you pos rep/neg rep someone (started in this new update/layout) it bloody refreshes the damn page! Like, i'm on page 7 or something, rep someone, then get taken back to the first page... :frown:
Original post by G8D
Just negged you to test it and nothing of the sort happened.

Agreed - though without the neg :tongue:
Original post by CoolRunner
Update is fine, but the thing making me so mad is when you pos rep/neg rep someone (started in this new update/layout) it bloody refreshes the damn page! Like, i'm on page 7 or something, rep someone, then get taken back to the first page... :frown:

Do you have javascript disabled? If the rep function is unable to update using JavaScript then it loads a new page to cause the rep to happen and then loads the first page of the thread.
Reply 435
Original post by CoolRunner

No refresh for me either. Was this all just a scheme for rep? :curious:
Java is different from JavaScript. Java is run using a plugin usually, where JavaScript is part of the browser, and can be disabled from the 'content' tab of most browser's setting or disabled/enabled on a per-site basis by an extension such as NoScript.
It is certainly one solution. It could be seen as a bug, if JavaScript is disabled, then after the rep is processed, it should take you back to the post (which would take you to the right point in the thread), as opposed to the thread.
Original post by Harley
No refresh for me either. Was this all just a scheme for rep? :curious:
Hahaha! Nah, I'm not that desperate :P
Original post by rmhumphries
It is certainly one solution. It could be seen as a bug, if JavaScript is disabled, then after the rep is processed, it should take you back to the post (which would take you to the right point in the thread), as opposed to the thread.
I see, but i use the same browser (well a fork of firefox) and my settings have not been touched at all (my javascript functionality has always been on) and it has happened ever since (by the looks of it, me) the update. :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending