The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Accommodation 2013/14

Hey guys.

This is a place for everyone with offers this years or prospective students looking for where to stay!

I'l be studying English. I'm really after a place that is in the old aberdeen or close too uni, and is mixed so it's both boys and girls. I don't mind a bit of a walk I enjoy them if anything, but not after a messy night out.

I as hoping to land the elphinstone flats. New caregie court looks amazing but as an English student (although born in Shetland) I can't afford £140 a week!.

so what are y'all studying, and where you hoping to stay? :smile:!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!

I'm also going to be studying English at Aberdeen uni and I really want to get into New Carnegie Court if possible but the £140 price tag is a bit steep :/ I haven't seen any new pics of Elphinstone since it was refurbished but I think I'd be pretty happy in any of the buildings up at Hillhead.

Btw, has anyone heard any good/bad reviews of the UNITE accommodation? I was taking a look at the website and the rooms look really nice but I don't know whether they're all they're cracked up to be :s-smilie:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by Josh Healey
Hey guys.

This is a place for everyone with offers this years or prospective students looking for where to stay!

I'l be studying English. I'm really after a place that is in the old aberdeen or close too uni, and is mixed so it's both boys and girls. I don't mind a bit of a walk I enjoy them if anything, but not after a messy night out.

I as hoping to land the elphinstone flats. New caregie court looks amazing but as an English student (although born in Shetland) I can't afford £140 a week!.

so what are y'all studying, and where you hoping to stay? :smile:!

Hey, you've cropped up in other Aberdeen threads I've been on but again, English Lit student here!

I know man, New Carnegie is out of my financial league sadly ahaha. Good thinking, I'm looking at Kings Hall and South House atm. Esslemont and Burnett look like a coupla s**tholes on the website but they're apparently being renovated in like for 2013 start (?) so if they're nice enough and a decent price then that's a possibility.

You a mature undergrad then if you're applying for Elphinstone? It was for younger undergrads last year I think, as one of my friends stayed there. His room was pretty small and the kitchen was dated, but let's be honest it's student halls so it's not going to be a palace! I thought it was actually a nice wee flat. Not the most modern but kinda cute in its own wee way haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Panda124
Hey, you've cropped up in other Aberdeen threads I've been on but again, English Lit student here!

I know man, New Carnegie is out of my financial league sadly ahaha. Good thinking, I'm looking at Kings Hall and South House atm. Esslemont and Burnett look like a coupla s**tholes on the website but they're apparently being renovated in like for 2013 start (?) so if they're nice enough and a decent price then that's a possibility.

You a mature undergrad then if you're applying for Elphinstone? It was for younger undergrads last year I think, as one of my friends stayed there. His room was pretty small and the kitchen was dated, but let's be honest it's student halls so it's not going to be a palace! I thought it was actually a nice wee flat. Not the most modern but kinda cute in its own wee way haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey! Aye I've seen you in a couple of threads on this section!

I'm 20 years old, soooo not super mature but i guess a few years on the average undergraduate. £140 is IN my financial range but it would be fool hardy. I'd rather go some where in the 112£ sort of range with money to spare for food/nights outs/transport etc.

Is kings hall near the uni?
Reply 4
Original post by Millie Ross
Hey!

I'm also going to be studying English at Aberdeen uni and I really want to get into New Carnegie Court if possible but the £140 price tag is a bit steep :/ I haven't seen any new pics of Elphinstone since it was refurbished but I think I'd be pretty happy in any of the buildings up at Hillhead.

Btw, has anyone heard any good/bad reviews of the UNITE accommodation? I was taking a look at the website and the rooms look really nice but I don't know whether they're all they're cracked up to be :s-smilie:

awesome , hey !!! pleased too meet you :smile:

I think elphinstone could be awesome, i just gotto find out if it is for mature only. But I'm 20 which i don't think is THAT old.

i think hillhead is awesome, but it's a 20 minute walk from the uni :/ I'm actually quite an out doorsy kind of guy but on a freezing day with a hangover, could be a problem!!
Reply 5
Original post by Josh Healey
hey! Aye I've seen you in a couple of threads on this section!

I'm 20 years old, soooo not super mature but i guess a few years on the average undergraduate. £140 is IN my financial range but it would be fool hardy. I'd rather go some where in the 112£ sort of range with money to spare for food/nights outs/transport etc.

Is kings hall near the uni?

Ahaha what we like, think I'm probably on like half the Aberdeen uni threads! :tongue: Aw well that's still under 21! I'm almost 18, couple of weeks! :smile: I'm pretty much the same, by that I meant I could technically afford it but it'd be kind pointless as like you say, I'd have no money for other stuff so in that respect it's out! Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too.

Yeah it probably is, it's on Kings College Campus I'm sure which is the old part, but don't quote me on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do any of you know how to apply for accomodation?
Reply 7
Original post by MovieMoments
Do any of you know how to apply for accomodation?

Hey, you get information sent out to you in May if you've firmed a conditional or unconditional offer, and you just take it from there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, you get information sent out to you in May if you've firmed a conditional or unconditional offer, and you just take it from there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :-)
Reply 9
Original post by MovieMoments
Thanks! :-)

No problem! :smile: btw there's a thread under University of Aberdeen titled 2013 applicants and there's loads of people posting in there. If you've not already check it out, as there's a chance you might meet some peoples from your course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi i am currently a 1st year student studying at aberdeen uni and stay in hillhead. So if you want some help feel free to ask. i am currently staying in south house which is good but quite expensive for what we get, however esslemont and burnet ARE currently being rennovated and esslemont was just finnished. i have a friend who has moved into the new flats and says they are awesome. they are pretty much the same as new carniegie but ALOT cheaper and with on en suite (which you don't really need) at £100 per week. would definatly reccomend applying for esslemont and burnett as burnett should be finnished by december or so. They started working on esslemont in november and finished over the easter holidays. here's some pics of esslemont in the link below, its also where you apply for accomation. would reccomend applying as soon as you can if you have an unconditional offer as rooms are given 1st come 1st serve. For example just about all of the others in my flat applied within the 1st week of being able to apply.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation/choosing_accommodation/hillhead_student_village.php
Reply 11
Original post by jono93
Hi i am currently a 1st year student studying at aberdeen uni and stay in hillhead. So if you want some help feel free to ask. i am currently staying in south house which is good but quite expensive for what we get, however esslemont and burnet ARE currently being rennovated and esslemont was just finnished. i have a friend who has moved into the new flats and says they are awesome. they are pretty much the same as new carniegie but ALOT cheaper and with on en suite (which you don't really need) at £100 per week. would definatly reccomend applying for esslemont and burnett as burnett should be finnished by december or so. They started working on esslemont in november and finished over the easter holidays. here's some pics of esslemont in the link below, its also where you apply for accomation. would reccomend applying as soon as you can if you have an unconditional offer as rooms are given 1st come 1st serve. For example just about all of the others in my flat applied within the 1st week of being able to apply.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation/choosing_accommodation/hillhead_student_village.php

Hey! Thanks a billion for that, that's where I was looking to apply cos I knew it had been renovated so it's good to see they've got pictures up, thanks very much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by jono93

And were you saying Esslemont and Burnett were ensuite or just New Carnegie Court? Either way it doesn't bother me was just curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
And were you saying Esslemont and Burnett were ensuite or just New Carnegie Court? Either way it doesn't bother me was just curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

just new carnegie is ensuite but that dosnt really matter. i have friends in NCC who don't think the ensuit is that important
Reply 14
Original post by jono93
just new carnegie is ensuite but that dosnt really matter. i have friends in NCC who don't think the ensuit is that important

Okay cool. Nah it doesn't, I was just asking out of interest haha, it really doesn't bother me either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hey :smile:
Is anyone applying for Hillhead accommodation? I was considering New Carnegie or Esslemont but they seem quite a way from the main campus...
Reply 16
Original post by oluus
Hey :smile:
Is anyone applying for Hillhead accommodation? I was considering New Carnegie or Esslemont but they seem quite a way from the main campus...

Me! And I'd imagine they're within a relative walking distance, like they wouldn't have them ridiculously far away I don't imagine. Hillhead has the bonus of loads of other students being there too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Me! And I'd imagine they're within a relative walking distance, like they wouldn't have them ridiculously far away I don't imagine. Hillhead has the bonus of loads of other students being there too :smile:

Yeah I suppose it cant be that far. Which one are you applying for? I'm really keen on NC because of the en-suite, though it is quite expensive :frown: however, I've heard some unpleasant stories about sharing a bathroom, so I might pay that little bit more just to have my own.
Reply 18
Original post by oluus
Yeah I suppose it cant be that far. Which one are you applying for? I'm really keen on NC because of the en-suite, though it is quite expensive :frown: however, I've heard some unpleasant stories about sharing a bathroom, so I might pay that little bit more just to have my own.

Probably between Esslemont and Burnett or South House I think :smile: oh dear, really? I have a couple of friends studying in Aberdeen just now and I go stay with them pretty regularly, and the shared bathroom thing was fine, they just kept their bathroom really clean and stuff :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Probably between Esslemont and Burnett or South House I think :smile: oh dear, really? I have a couple of friends studying in Aberdeen just now and I go stay with them pretty regularly, and the shared bathroom thing was fine, they just kept their bathroom really clean and stuff :smile:
I might see you in Esslemont then :smile: and I thought Burnett is for post grad students? Well I haven't personally seen any shared bathrooms, only heard from some friends from different universities that they aren't very clean, generally not very nice, and always better to go ensuite if you can.

Quick Reply

Latest