The Student Room Group

What would happen if somebody collapsed in an exam?

I am due to sit my first lot of GCSE exams in a month, and I did my mocks a few weeks back. When I was in the middle of my English Literature mock, somebody collapsed and we all had to go out.

If somebody was to collapse in the real exam (and needed medical attention) would everybody participating in the exam automatically fail?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ryanroks1
I am due to sit my first lot of GCSE exams in a month, and I did my mocks a few weeks back. When I was in the middle of my English Literature mock, somebody collapsed and we all had to go out.

If somebody was to collapse in the real exam (and needed medical attention) would everybody participating in the exam automatically fail?

No you won't fail. Once the person has been removed you carry on the exam. But if a person dies in the exam room you don't continue the paper and you all get your predicted grades

No

It wouldn't surprise me though if that centre's pupils got special consideration (which is not a bad thing), though. After all it did disrupt students during an exam.
Reply 3
No of course not, they would probably just remove them quietly. Don't know if you'd get "stoppage time" at the end or not, if it was a long and disruptive enough delay they might stop the clock.
Reply 4
Someone's appendix burst in one of my GCSE's and they were carried out of the exam hall and we all had to continue with our exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt they'd fail everyone. They'd most likely ask everyone to continue on and ignore what's happening or if the incident does cause disruption, they'll probably stop the clock for a while and then once everything's sorted, ask everyone to continue.

I remember having a fire alarm go off during my A-Level examinations and they stopped the time and let us continue with our paper once we returned back to the room. Needless to say, we were all asking the clever people what they put down as their answers during that time. I still failed :frown:
Reply 6

Each case has to be treated on the particular circumstances but the collapsed person would be removed, the exam might have to be stopped briefly and more time given at the end to make up for it, it might be appropriate for an application for special consideration to be put in which might get students an extra 1-2% but it is very unlikely that the exam would be abandoned and a grade awarded (and certain not to happen if it isn't the end of the course or if you haven't completed at least 50% of the qualification without this exam).
Reply 7
Original post by heirloom
But if a person dies in the exam room you don't continue the paper and you all get your predicted grades

This is actually true, and I believe it is for all of your subjects on all exam boards as well.

Wouldn't it to be awful if something were to happen... :backstab:
Reply 8
Apparently everybody automatically passes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although a lot of people are fine with getting their predicted grades its a bad thing for some. For example I have quite low predicted grades, but I know that in the actual exam I'll get something much more higher.

Let's hope no one dies during the summer exams ey.
Reply 10
Original post by dathtom
This is actually true, and I believe it is for all of your subjects on all exam boards as well.

Any evidence for that?
Reply 11
Original post by Data
Any evidence for that?

Teacher. Not too reliable then :P
pretend that they're asleep. When the exam's over, go wake them up; they don't wake up, ambulance!

That's what I'd do anyway, and the person would have to collapse forwards on to their desk to give off the image that they're asleep.
Reply 13
Original post by dathtom
Teacher. Not too reliable then :P

The exam boards share do shares rules on this sort of stuff. through JCQ (Joint Council for Qualifications), but it doesn't specifically cover other people dropping dead in exams. There is a bit about the grades that can be awarded to you if you drop dead, but it has always struck me as fairly pointless.
Reply 14
One time an idiot boy with behaviour issues squealed like a pig in the exam hall, he was shouting and swearing for unknown reason, onbviously everyone was distracted. The invigilators gave us extra time and apologised.

I remember everyone trying to give subtle hints about what they gave as answers lol
Reply 15
yes you will fail!!!!!!!!! and probably get a brain hernia at the same time, yolo
peace my *****
;0
Free A*
one of the boys in my year stuck a pencil in his eye during our english exam, everyone was so traumatised that we all got our target grades for the whole english course
Original post by lollololgcse
one of the boys in my year stuck a pencil in his eye during our english exam, everyone was so traumatised that we all got our target grades for the whole english course

This is total rubbish.
Original post by Compost
This is total rubbish.

That's a shame, it made a good story

Quick Reply

Latest