The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1560
Original post by Musester
Reckon it'll be Cech or Cole (who was captain in the COC) and then David Luiz. I just don't think Mata has the physical presence to be outright captain.

Any news on Ramires?

Lionel messi is captain for argentina and xavi captains barca too.

Mata shouldn't be captain though doesn't seem vocal enough need a lampard/terry who can lead by organising and telling everyone what to do rather than a captain doing it himself. Don't think mata is the type of guy who will just make sure everyone is in position and subtle things like that. Although I think the captaincy is a bit overrated at times.

I don't think cech should be captain. If he leaves because courtois comes in then he'll be captain for 2 years. Personally think luiz should get it, then mata. Chalobah if he makes it here will probably be a future captain anyway, apparently he's like a captain at watford already.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1561
Original post by mhsc
Don't know what the clubs order for captaincy is anymore, in the old days we had about 8 players who were NT captains. I'd probably choose Luiz, as he's so popular in the squad and he's a battler on the field. Imo captaincy would drive him to be an even better player as well.

You're right we had quite a few captain material in the team which we really don't have anymore. Back then lampard, ballack, essien, terry, drogba, cole, cech, carvalho all could have been captains easily, probably could find some more people we had around that time but they were the main spine under mourinho-ancelotti and all of them captain material. Don't think we have that in our squad tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
David Luiz for captain
Reply 1563
http://community.manutd.com/forums/t/258343.aspx?PageIndex=2

Just wow. I can feel the desperation for a plausible excuse in every word that they type.
Original post by Musester
http://community.manutd.com/forums/t/258343.aspx?PageIndex=2

Just wow. I can feel the desperation for a plausible excuse in every word that they type.

Has Hazard been that good though? Obviously he was killing it for a few months early doors, but over the course of the season I wouldnt say hes lived upto the fanfare over his arrival?
Original post by Zürich
Has Hazard been that good though? Obviously he was killing it for a few months early doors, but over the course of the season I wouldnt say hes lived upto the fanfare over his arrival?

He was really at start of season but when cold for a couple of months, but since march he's picked up form and is contributing more, it seems foreign players tend to have dip in form around november/december because of the weather
Reply 1566
Original post by Zürich

But for people to try and say that Kagawa's been anything near to comparable, nevermind better is stupid. I know it's a United forum, but still.
Reply 1567
Original post by Zürich

But they're saying kagawa is better. I'd say that he obviously has a lot of quality(same goes for kag) but obviously they've gone to a different league, kagawa personally should have transitioned easier than he did but he got injuries and has been shunted out wide while hazard had been playing in a weaker league(so needs to get to grips with the physicality) and has had a change in manager who has a rotation policy(meaning he doesn't play every match like he was under RDM) so I'm not surprised his season has panned out like this.

Heck mata faded at times last season and he's probably the most consistent attacker on the team with ease.
Reply 1569
I know right. I remember Isometrix and a couple of other members posting in this thread that Pirlo was finished and that signing him would be a terrible mistake. Didn't want to interfere with Mikel's playing chances :ahee:
Kagawa was United's 2nd choice, they were gunning for Hazard as well.
Original post by mhsc
I know right. I remember Isometrix and a couple of other members posting in this thread that Pirlo was finished and that signing him would be a terrible mistake. Didn't want to interfere with Mikel's playing chances :ahee:

It was more to do with wanting some younger players I think, at a time when our squad was starting to age. Besides we still won the domestic double that year anyway so I can't say I regretted it much. It was just my preference anyway, signing players at a ripe age like Mata, Luiz, and Hazard are generally the type of transfers I like to see.
Original post by jam277
Yeah. True. I just wanna see a change man. :frown:
Yes I'm a hater. It's disgusting seeing you jam a top 4 place and take no advantage of it. It's annoying that out of the big 4 in 04-09 the only team not to have won a champions league is you guys.

Bar that obvious hating. Yes I reckon you'll get 4th again if you make the right signings, lets be honest here you had the fourth best squad in the league this season, newcastle were never going to manage europa and the prem, tottenham have no depth outside the starting 11 and liverpool are in transition. I did doubt you guys when you were 7 points behind spurs but I said from the beginning of the season united will win with chelsea, city and arsenal in the top 4. Heck if city lose a match even 2nd still up for grabs.

Yeah that's true, I don't like us jamming top four each season when we could being so much better with more ambition. Tbh if it wasn't for madman Jens we would have a CL but you can always say stuff like that in hindsight. What do you think we need to challenge for the title next season? Do you reckon we're far off? I think we have a really good squad just need a few outstanding individual players like we had before with Cesc, RVP etc.
Reply 1573
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Yeah that's true, I don't like us jamming top four each season when we could being so much better with more ambition. Tbh if it wasn't for madman Jens we would have a CL but you can always say stuff like that in hindsight. What do you think we need to challenge for the title next season? Do you reckon we're far off? I think we have a really good squad just need a few outstanding individual players like we had before with Cesc, RVP etc.

You have the base. I reckon you need a winger(unless AOC does the business or podolski gets better after his first season), a DM and a strker. Besides that every position you're fine. If you could get a boss CB that'd be good as well but tbh you haven't been conceding much this season(probably down to your monotone sideways defensive passing for 60mins) but hey.

Bar that you just need dortmund/united style mental strength. However you are pretty far off I think. While you could probably have a team capable of winning the title City will strengthen, united will strengthen and chelsea will definitely strengthen in the summer. City can't get that much better I think, chelsea are obviously in transition but we've transitioned most of our squad and united are united. haven't been below 3rd place since the prem began says it all about them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1574
Original post by Isometrix
It was more to do with wanting some younger players I think, at a time when our squad was starting to age. Besides we still won the domestic double that year anyway so I can't say I regretted it much. It was just my preference anyway, signing players at a ripe age like Mata, Luiz, and Hazard are generally the type of transfers I like to see.

Tbh I'd rather see us promote players from the academy than buy 21 year olds for 30 million. It just reeks of football manager. If we could get 3/4 players in as a spine from the youth squad and buy the rest then that'd be great for me. Bertrand, terry, chalobah and mceachran being the core of the team e.g. and then playing with the rest of the team like hazard etc would be my ideal type of signings. Looking at bayern munich, dortmunds and barca's squad just makes me wonder.
Original post by jam277
You have the base. I reckon you need a winger(unless AOC does the business or podolski gets better after his first season), a DM and a strker. Besides that every position you're fine. If you could get a boss CB that'd be good as well but tbh you haven't been conceding much this season(probably down to your monotone sideways defensive passing for 60mins) but hey.

Bar that you just need dortmund/united style mental strength. However you are pretty far off I think. While you could probably have a team capable of winning the title City will strengthen, united will strengthen and chelsea will definitely strengthen in the summer. City can't get that much better I think, chelsea are obviously in transition but we've transitioned most of our squad and united are united. haven't been below 3rd place since the prem began says it all about them.

Yeah AOC needs to be a started next season, we got scammed with Walcott, definitely not worth £100k a week, must be the most overrated player I've ever seen but the annoying thing with him is that he would be so deadly if he had an ounce of technique. I think Podolski will come good, have to remember it's his first season and he still has a decent return. The thing with a team like United is that there isn't many areas they need to strengthen, all they really need is a destroyer in midfield to complement Carrick. Quite funny actually because that player could easily have been Pogba.

Regarding Chelsea, I think you are a top striker and a playmaking CDM away from a title challenging team. And if Mourinho comes in that is certainly achievable. Even Pellegrini would do a great job tbf.
Mourinho 'I love to be where the people love me' Hmm... Can see a special season for you guys next year.
Omg @ Mourinho's interview at the end...
'I want to be where people want me, where people love me.' - Jose Mourinho just now in reaction to Madrid's loss. he also said 'Maybe not' in reply to if he will be at Madrid next year. Does he mean he wants to be in England, where he is revered as an incredible character and tactician? Or does he mean at Chelsea, where he quite literally is worshipped as a legend?

I hope it's the latter! COME ON JOSE
And the the interviewer mentioned 'We'll take that as England then - gotta go!' lolz.

Latest