The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolRunner
I see, but i use the same browser (well a fork of firefox) and my settings have not been touched at all (my javascript functionality has always been on) and it has happened ever since (by the looks of it, me) the update. :s

Hmm, I would guess that there is an error in the JavaScript function when running on your browser for some reason (this would then cause the fall-back to run, the same as if JavaScript is disabled). What is the exact browser (and version) you are using?
How do u like the new TSR UK font ?, For me personally i dont think its an improvement, but to much of a "Fat shouty font" and like the old house style better..

Any opinions?

tsr uk.JPG
Reply 442
Its quite Cool!!
Original post by rmhumphries
Hmm, I would guess that there is an error in the JavaScript function when running on your browser for some reason (this would then cause the fall-back to run, the same as if JavaScript is disabled). What is the exact browser (and version) you are using?
Browser: Comodo Icedragon, latest http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/icedragon-browser.php

Hmm, downloaded it however I wasn't able to reproduce it the problem.

Next time you want to rep someone, before you do so, go tools -> Web Developer -> error console. Press clear to clear all the messages already there, and then see if anything comes up when you try to rep anyone.
Hmm, downloaded it however I wasn't able to reproduce it the problem. Next time you want to rep someone, before you do so, go tools -> Web Developer -> error console. Press clear to clear all the messages already there, and then see if anything comes up when you try to rep anyone.
Much obliged, I found the problem (it was due to an addon, called HTTPS everywhere) when i disabled it, it works. i might as well keep it on though :P for the sake of it.
Much obliged, I found the problem (it was due to an addon, called HTTPS everywhere) when i disabled it, it works. i might as well keep it on though :P for the sake of it.

Ah, fair enough. Hopefully TSR Devs may look into and fix the exact issue, or at the very least fix it so that when it redirects you to redirect you, it does so to the post you just repped as oppose to the thread the post was in :h:
Reply 447

That addon's unlikely to work well with TSR. Not all pages on the site are compatible with SSL, it's only enabled where it needs to be (i.e. profile pages, login/logout, etc.). HTTPS is slow so forum pages will deliberately redirect back to HTTP, and the rep system is part of that.
I's are still L's in the thread titles. How long would it take to use a different font for those anyway? Is there a committee that decides the new font? Do they only meet by the light of a blue moon? Can they be bribed to speed up the process?
Reply 449
Original post by Piko_Piko
I's are still L's in the thread titles. How long would it take to use a different font for those anyway? Is there a committee that decides the new font? Do they only meet by the light of a blue moon? Can they be bribed to speed up the process?

We have to pay for fonts, so it can be a bit of a bloody nightmare, as stuff always is when there's money involved. It's something we might be able to sort out though. Maybe.
Original post by Dez
We have to pay for fonts, so it can be a bit of a bloody nightmare, as stuff always is when there's money involved. It's something we might be able to sort out though. Maybe.

What do you mean by this? Isn't there an option to change the font of the forum built into the basic forum software? :lolwut:
Private messages annoy me now. Before I could send a message with something like:

Title: Hi

Text text text

I'd get a reply, with the following

Text text text

Text text text

And now it's more like

Text

And the reply is more like

Title: RE: Hi

Text

Text

This then continues to say RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Hi

Which is pretty damn annoying
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dez

Do you have to pay for a licence to use fonts if you don't specify a font? (So the browser decides)
Original post by G8D
Fonts are protected by intellectual property law. The 'good' fonts need a license to be used for profit.

Oh, okay - I'm looking at it from the wrong angle. I didn't realise that was an issue. Thanks.
Reply 454
Do you have to pay for a licence to use fonts if you don't specify a font? (So the browser decides)

We have to pay if we serve the font ourselves (i.e. it's not one installed on your PC). Which if you want any styled font, is more or less a necessity. Still, fonts are fairly cheap compared to most of the costs of running a site like this. :yep:
Original post by Dez
We have to pay if we serve the font ourselves (i.e. it's not one installed on your PC). Which if you want any styled font, is more or less a necessity. Still, fonts are fairly cheap compared to most of the costs of running a site like this. :yep:

Arial and Verdana *are* fonts that come with the browser/OS though, are they not?
Reply 456
Arial and Verdana *are* fonts that come with the browser/OS though, are they not?

Yes, but the font we use for the thread titles is not Arial. :smile:
Original post by Dez
Yes, but the font we use for the thread titles is not Arial. :smile:

Ah, that would explain it then - thanks :h:
Original post by Dez

So.....you paid for a font that doesn't distinguish between i's and l's. Seriously? Did you get 3 quotes and pick the cheapest or something?

I have another question: Do you have to pay for any background colour other than white? Is that why we still have the expanse of white?

Edit: I just noticed that i's look like i's again. :awesome: However the t's look funny. I'm not sure if they always looked that squished or if they changed at the same time the i's came back. Fire the font committee - they're useless.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Piko_Piko

This is driving me round the twist. (Or, you know, twlst.) It's not like it's even an obscure letter to appear in thread titles, given that most users of the site are at or applying to Unlverslty...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending