AQA GCSE English Language: What mark do I need to get in the exam to get a B grade? Watch

Emma Lisa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello, I was wondering what mark I need to get in the AQA English Language Higher Tier exam to achieve a B grade overall? The exam is 40% of the overall GCSE grade and all my coursework is at an A grade. In the January exam I got 48/80 (I don't know what grade this is) and one teacher has told me that mark is good enough to get a B grade overall, however, another teacher has told me this isn't!
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emma Lisa)
Hello, I was wondering what mark I need to get in the AQA English Language Higher Tier exam to achieve a B grade overall? The exam is 40% of the overall GCSE grade and all my coursework is at an A grade. In the January exam I got 48/80 (I don't know what grade this is) and one teacher has told me that mark is good enough to get a B grade overall, however, another teacher has told me this isn't!
Okay, so if you could give me a breakdown of all the marks you got for Controlled Assessment then I would be happy to help:

Unit 2 (Speaking and Listening): What did you get out of 45 (all the tasks out of 15 added together)?
Unit 3 (Written Controlled Assessment: This is out of 80.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma Lisa
Rep:
?
Ahh I haven't been told the mark I got for each piece of coursework. I know my two creative writing pieces are both at 8/10 and they are 15% of my overall grade but I don't know any of my other marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't you know what you got for your debate, role play, presentation, analysis or spoken language?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma Lisa
Rep:
?
No I was only told my grade for each piece

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No I was only told my grade for each piece

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kind of grades were you getting for speaking and listening?

If you got As in the speaking and listening and assuming the worst case scenario for the coursework and S+L (i.e. the lowest mark for an A) then if my calculations are correct you only need 55% UMS (i.e. a D) in the exam to get a B. I don't know how the UMS conversion was like in the January paper but 48/80 was probably a C.

I think it's enough to get you a B, but I'm not completely sure.
Emma Lisa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
What kind of grades were you getting for speaking and listening?

If you got As in the speaking and listening and assuming the worst case scenario for the coursework and S+L (i.e. the lowest mark for an A) then if my calculations are correct you only need 55% UMS (i.e. a D) in the exam to get a B. I don't know how the UMS conversion was like in the January paper but 48/80 was probably a C.

I think it's enough to get you a B, but I'm not completely sure.
I got an A for each speaking and listening. Thank you for calculating that for me, I'm aiming for an A overall but I'm hoping I've secured at least a B.
teacherforall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got an A for each speaking and listening. Thank you for calculating that for me, I'm aiming for an A overall but I'm hoping I've secured at least a B.
Hi,

I am a teacher of English. In order to obtain a grade B overall for English Language you must have a total UMS score of 210 - I think. This means that your controlled assessments need to be of a grade A/B standard, which they are.

If you got a high B for your controlled assessments then that would be about 80 UMS and with an A in all of your speaking and listening assessments you should have gained another 49 UMS.

48/80 in the exam is grade C/B borderline. However, with 129 UMS, I think that you would be able to obtain a low B overall.

I hope that helps!
Emma Lisa
Rep:
?
(Original post by teacherforall)
Hi,

I am a teacher of English. In order to obtain a grade B overall for English Language you must have a total UMS score of 210 - I think. This means that your controlled assessments need to be of a grade A/B standard, which they are.

If you got a high B for your controlled assessments then that would be about 80 UMS and with an A in all of your speaking and listening assessments you should have gained another 49 UMS.

48/80 in the exam is grade C/B borderline. However, with 129 UMS, I think that you would be able to obtain a low B overall.

I hope that helps!
Yes this has helped me understand it better, thank you.
hafizasif
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hi there can you help me. i got 36/45 for unit 2 and 62/80 for unit 3. please tell me what i got as percentage and what do i need to get an a or b in the exam?

thank you
Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]
Emma Lisa
Rep:
?
I've managed to get hold of my mark for all of my coursework, including speaking and listening. In total I have 103 marks. Would anyone be able to tell me if my 48 marks from the exam in January is enough to get a grade B overall?
Nerd786
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Could you please help me out, and send me grade A* descriptive writing, to use an an guide. Im on grade B's aiming for A/A*'s help would be appreciated
CoolDave123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nerd786)
Could you please help me out, and send me grade A* descriptive writing, to use an an guide. Im on grade B's aiming for A/A*'s help would be appreciated
I completed the course in November and ended up with an A (250 UMS).

The advice my teacher constantly told me was:

- Use the 1-5 targets in Creative Writing;
i). Use a Writing Technique
ii) Use a connective
iii) Ensure the length of your sentences vary
iii) Use varied punctuation
iv) Use sophisticated vocab

I ended up with 106/120 UMS in my controlled assessments, which was an A.

You can also use the techniques in the exam too (Questions 5 & 6).

For the exam, my teacher insisted we used PEARL for questions 1 - 4.

P - Point
E - Evidence
A - Analysis
R - Reader's Response
L - Link it back to the question

I ended up with 96/120 UMS in the exam, which again was an A.

Unfortunately for you, the Speaking and Listening marks no longer count towards the final grade, so you have to ensure you do well in the exam!

Hope my advice was useful!
jezza999
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hi i got 26 out of 40 which was a c 2 off a b in my controlled assesment which was 40 percent so what do i need to get a b or higher in my exam
CoolDave123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What do you mean "26 out of 40"?

The controlled assessments (Unit 3 ENL03) is out of 80 marks.
Emily789
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have currently got a B in my controlled assessments and want an A. Can I get an A? Exam is worth 60% and controlled assessments are worth 40%. I will be sitting the exam in June 2014
Highfiveyou
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys I need a rough mark for my attempt on a pass paper question? I would appreciated if I get feedback thanks and a rough mark out of 16 for my rough answer!

Now you need to refer to Source 3, In Search of Olives and either Source 1 or Source 2.
You are going to compare the use of language in two texts, one of which you have chosen.
4 Compare the ways in which language is used for effect in the two texts.
Give some examples and analyse the effects. (16 marks)

Similarly both source 1 and source 3 use rhetorical questions to grip there readers attention, for different purposes. For example the source 1 is an article, they have used rhetorical question: “one day off the red stuff?” The writer has used this technique as it grabs the reader’s attention and makes there reader feel like the text is specifically for them, since the article is showing concern for our planet which is everyone’s home, so everyone can relate, and using the phrase “stuff” instead of meat gives the meat no purpose as its now effecting our planets well-being. Source 3 has also used a direct approach, as they have also used a rhetorical question in their personal text: “What were they doing?” This is used as it makes the reader instantly feel like they are now involved in her journey, as the readers are directly addressed and this makes then wonder more about some of the issues that are raised during her journey, and raises the reader’s curiosity.

Unlike source 3, source 1 has used statistics in there article to back up there statement:”30% of the UK’s greenhouse gas emission”. Source 1 has used statistics in there article as this makes there text sound more athourative and accurate, since they are backing all of their views and stresses that meat is effecting our everyday life, this enables the reader to understand that “turning vegetarian“ can save our planet and can have a huge benefit to us, soon the reader gains trust in the article and may even support there views. Whereas source 3 had used adjectives: “flat black sky”. The narrator has used this in source 3 as this is very vivid, this keeps the reader entertained as it creates a strong imagery of some of the places she had visited while on her journey, this gives the readers full insight of her experience and also makes them feel like they have also been on a looming adventure while reading through this entertaining personal text.
In comparison to source 1, source 3 uses a list:” donkeys, cars, carts with long-bearded

gnome-like men”. Source 3 has used the list as this sounds rather catchy and leaves a long lasting effect on the reader as this information sticks in to the readers head, as they enjoy the extreme experience of the writer as she travels to Mediterranean , this gives the reader a thrilling insight of what she saw and had experienced. Whereas source 1 has used an emotive phrase: “climate change” this is used to gain an emotional response from the readers, as they are the main audience to this article as the “climate” has an effect on everyone therefore the readers will have a concern and will feel the stress climbing through as they acknowledge how badly they are damaging the world , they feel a sense of regret and guilt for putting the planet through so many life changing processes that will damage everything.
ToffeApple
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hello
ToffeApple
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hello. I got high As in both of my OCR GCSE English language controlled assessment units. Can anyone tell me the minimum grade i need to get an A* overall for English language GCSE. THANKYOU
joe.and21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can i still get a B grade overall if my controlled assessments are at C grade and i get an A in the exam?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads