The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Freshers Week

Hi I was just wondering about freshers week as I wont be 18 at the time and I was wondering if I will not be able to participate in the events because of this. Will my age prevent me from joining in when everyone goes out together?
Age will prevent you from going out to the night clubs, and some of the pubs. They're pretty strict with ID'ing folk. You should be fine in the union, you rarely get ID'd, and if you do, just get someone to go up to the bar for you.

Most of freshers in first year will be done in the Union and the University owned "Nightclub" which is under the union, so you don't have to worry about that, it's just going out after freshers which may be a problem...
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Ouch, that's a real bummer. As the above poster said, generally Unions aren't so strict. You'll probably find some bars/pubs that aren't strict on ID when they fill up with students, it's just the clubs you'll have a real problem with.
Reply 3
Oh thats not too bad then thanks for the info guys
As has been said, during Freshers week, most people go to the Union every night. In Freshers week at the union they check everyone's I'd as you go through the door and you get a different coloured wristband if you are under aged but you are still going to be able to drink before you go out so it'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They never checked ID's for the 2012 freshers year, nor gave out wristbands, so I'm not to sure how that'll effect you, but it may come into effect this year. so watch out. I know plent of people that were fine during freshers that were underage, at least three of my friends were underage and they were drunk more often than I was, so I think you'll be fine (:
Reply 6
Original post by catchingROBYNN
Age will prevent you from going out to the night clubs, and some of the pubs. They're pretty strict with ID'ing folk. You should be fine in the union, you rarely get ID'd, and if you do, just get someone to go up to the bar for you.

Most of freshers in first year will be done in the Union and the University owned "Nightclub" which is under the union, so you don't have to worry about that, it's just going out after freshers which may be a problem...

Notice you said first year. What's Freshers week for 2nd year like?
Original post by natman--nye

I assume in your second year at the University? People just do their own thing and go to the clubs, they tend not to get involved in any of the Union's official events.

If you mean what is it like for someone who has done direct entry into second year then they get treated as a first year as they'll be living with first years.
Reply 8
I'm not a student at the University however I have an unconditional offer to go into 2nd year of Sociology and Social Policy. Glasgow is my first choice though.
Original post by natman--nye

I have no idea, haha! Well, that's a lie. I'm a first year right now, but a few of my friends are in the years above me. The two night clubs in town, Dusk and Fubar, hold similar events to the 1st year freshers. For example, foam parties, UV parties etc, with a few other stuck in between.

If you want to, you can join the first years at the events, but from my experience with freshers, and town, you'd be better in town if you have the money and ID.

If you're going straight into second year, but are still staying with the first years in halls, go with them to freshers, make friends etc. If you aren't staying in first year halls, then send me a message on here, and I'll add you to a facebook group for the current first years, the people who'll be second years with you, so you can make some friends before you come, and have someone to go out on the town with. (:
Ok so I just found both the book list for first year undergraduates and the timetable of events for the first week Thought i'd share the links!

Booklist: http://www.stir.ac.uk/media/wwwstira...s/booklist.pdf

Timetable: http://www.stir.ac.uk/media/wwwstira...-timetable.pdf (this will be more useful for this thread I presume)

Quick Reply

Latest