The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CanineVet
Oh yeah! That is actually a very efficient method! That honestly feels much easier thanks :biggrin:

And I've never forgotten the DST pyramid for some reason but I suppose it is something you tend to take more into an everyday account rather than the concentration of sulphuric acid haha! Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've always thought that concentration was actually a pretty intuitive concept to understand, too! Concentration is a measure of how much stuff you have in a set amount of space. Lots of stuff in a small space is very concentrated, little stuff in a big space is not so concentrated. Our stuff is moles (moles are much easier to understand when you think of them as a measurement of how much stuff there is - and it's completely true), and the space they're in is the volume. Thus c=nvc = \frac{n}{v}. :biggrin:

n = cv just rolls off the tongue, though. :tongue:
I was going to revise chemistry, but it looks like fate is against me.
chemwebpls.jpg
Reply 122
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've always thought that concentration was actually a pretty intuitive concept to understand, too! Concentration is a measure of how much stuff you have in a set amount of space. Lots of stuff in a small space is very concentrated, little stuff in a big space is not so concentrated. Our stuff is moles (moles are much easier to understand when you think of them as a measurement of how much stuff there is - and it's completely true), and the space they're in is the volume. Thus c=nvc = \frac{n}{v}. :biggrin:

n = cv just rolls off the tongue, though. :tongue:

That's deep aha! That makes things more clearer and I totally agree it does roll off nicely :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
Original post by SpanishInquisition
I was going to revise chemistry, but it looks like fate is against me.
chemwebpls.jpg

You shall not pass aha! That's a pain :frown: I'm gonna try in a minute and ill report my ate lets :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woo, Latin today !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
Bit late now but good luck for Latin :smile:

Quick question: when drawing lines in line graphs do we use a ruler or free hand? Or does it not matter? I prefer a ruler it looks neater and for biology my teacher says to use a ruler but occasionally in chemistry tests the teacher has said to use free hand, anyone have any ideas? Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if you can pick higher media studies in 5th year? :smile:
Latin went well today. 2 down now, hooray !
Hi, I'm in S4 at the moment and I will be leaving school in 2015, although I sat my Standard Grades last year so I'm mostly in the 'Thread for S5 Pupils' to discuss highers! :smile: I want to study medicine, so write now I'm getting loads of work experience and volunteering, which I'm loving! :smile:

Any questions about highers or option choices, fire away at me! I'll answer them :biggrin:
Original post by MichGaughan97
Does anyone know if you can pick higher media studies in 5th year? :smile:

Depends entirely on your school's policy.
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Hi, I'm in S4 at the moment and I will be leaving school in 2015, although I sat my Standard Grades last year so I'm mostly in the 'Thread for S5 Pupils' to discuss highers! :smile: I want to study medicine, so write now I'm getting loads of work experience and volunteering, which I'm loving! :smile:

Any questions about highers or option choices, fire away at me! I'll answer them :biggrin:

What kind of volunteering work are you doing?
I'd like to dispel the myth of Highers being such an enormous, terrifying jump from Standard Grade. They're really not!

The fact that you only do five subjects balances the increasing difficult and workload. Also, essay writing under exam conditions is something you'll get very used to, it's commonplace in 5th year subjects.

I have to say, the main skill I have learned this year is being concise with writing. In Higher subjects there's a very big focus on essay word counts, as you will have to repeat the essays in 45 minutes under exam conditions or send them away in a folio (where in English, for example, you are penalised if over 1300 words). For example, in Standard Grade English whilst all of my essays were Grade 1, some were 5000 words and 4000 words, which I have learned is completely unacceptable at Higher! :smile:

I actually prefer doing Highers to Standard Grades: classes are more focused, I'm more focused, and I'm not doing subjects that I picked on a whim! :smile:
Original post by Pennyarcade
What kind of volunteering work are you doing?

I'll message you :smile:
Reply 133
Wow :smile: how come you sat standard grades early?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow :smile: how come you sat standard grades early?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's my school's policy. We squeeze S1 and S2 into S1 (after all, they're not productive years) and study Standard Grades over S2 and S3, and Highers over S4 and S5. It's more of a steady school experience rather than wasting S2 doing **** all and then having to rush S5 for Highers! :smile: It hasn't affected my school's results, either, the Standard Grade results have remained consistent and even improved.
Reply 135
It's my school's policy. We squeeze S1 and S2 into S1 (after all, they're not productive years) and study Standard Grades over S2 and S3, and Highers over S4 and S5. It's more of a steady school experience rather than wasting S2 doing **** all and then having to rush S5 for Highers! :smile: It hasn't affected my school's results, either, the Standard Grade results have remained consistent and even improved.

Ah, I see! That does seem to be a far better plan; s2 was pretty much a waste! So do you still do one year for a higher course or two I.e. would you sit your higher exam this year or next with us? If you don't mind me asking what were your results last year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, I see! That does seem to be a far better plan; s2 was pretty much a waste! So do you still do one year for a higher course or two I.e. would you sit your higher exam this year or next with us? If you don't mind me asking what were your results last year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We would have two years, so we still sit the exams at the end of fifth year. My results were 11111111 in Art and Design, Chemistry, English, Graphic Communication, Modern Studies, Mathematics, Physics and Spanish. I was so incredibly happy when I got the results at 2am on my laptop. Words do not describe how good it felt when I clicked on the email and so the straight line of 1s - pure elation! :tongue: Ahhhhhh!

May I also add that in my November prelims I only had two ones and six twos, which just shows that prelims really don't matter that much! (I didn't study much as I had a lot of homework at the time).
(edited 10 years ago)
We would have two years, so we still sit the exams at the end of fifth year. My results were 11111111 in Art and Design, Chemistry, English, Graphic Communication, Modern Studies, Mathematics, Physics and Spanish. I was so incredibly happy when I got the results at 2am on my laptop. Words do not describe how good it felt when I clicked on the email and so the straight line of 1s - pure elation! :tongue: Ahhhhhh!

May I also add that in my November prelims I only had two ones and six twos, which just shows that prelims really don't matter that much! (I didn't study much as I had a lot of homework at the time).

Do you have any tips for standard grade Modern Studies and Spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don'tKnow!
Do you have any tips for standard grade Modern Studies and Spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I do! For modern studies make sure you organise your time! You should work out how much time you have for each mark, as it's easy to get bogged down on earlier questions and not finish the paper. For ES questions, make sure you learn the different types and follow a template. For KU, make your point, explain it, give an example of it and then relate it back to the question. You really don't need to sound sophisticated, in fact, your marker will prefer simple language and layout.

For Spanish, I did all of the general and credit past papers (I did general first as they were easiest), saving a couple of credit ones to the day before the exam. I also had a list of vocabulary I got my dad to test me on. I maybe only got through half the list with him, but it was an enormous help in the exam! So many words I had learned came up! And as with Modern studies, plan your time for Spanish reading! The listening requires immense concentration though. I moved from a 3 to a 1 in listening just by doing all of the general and credit past papers - they definitely help a lot!

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This may sound dumb, but are liquids in bottles only measured in litres ? Anything else, maths related that is ?

Also, I'm stuck on a question, hooray !

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2010/SC_Mathematics_Paper-1-(Non-calculator)-and-Paper-2_2010.pdf

Q13 b. I got a but clueless for the last part.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending