The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspiringMedic8
Yes, I do! For modern studies make sure you organise your time! You should work out how much time you have for each mark, as it's easy to get bogged down on earlier questions and not finish the paper. For ES questions, make sure you learn the different types and follow a template. For KU, make your point, explain it, give an example of it and then relate it back to the question. You really don't need to sound sophisticated, in fact, your marker will prefer simple language and layout.

For Spanish, I did all of the general and credit past papers (I did general first as they were easiest), saving a couple of credit ones to the day before the exam. I also had a list of vocabulary I got my dad to test me on. I maybe only got through half the list with him, but it was an enormous help in the exam! So many words I had learned came up! And as with Modern studies, plan your time for Spanish reading! The listening requires immense concentration though. I moved from a 3 to a 1 in listening just by doing all of the general and credit past papers - they definitely help a lot!

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you that was really helpful:smile:
ES for modern studies is my weak point I had to rush them in the prelim as I was spending to much time on the KU.For es questions do you always have to quote the source you got the information from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bromaldehyde
This may sound dumb, but are liquids in bottles only measured in litres ? Anything else, maths related that is ?

Also, I'm stuck on a question, hooray !

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2010/SC_Mathematics_Paper-1-(Non-calculator)-and-Paper-2_2010.pdf

Q13 b. I got a but clueless for the last part.

You have to rearrange it to make a trig equation and then solve it
Original post by Don'tKnow!
Thank you that was really helpful:smile:
ES for modern studies is my weak point I had to rush them in the prelim as I was spending to much time on the KU.For es questions do you always have to quote the source you got the information from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can quote, but you must at least refer by saying "Source 1 shows that 25% of the elderly use mobile phones whilst source 2 shows that the majority of people over 60 can use computers..." Bla bla bla, you get the idea. As I said, just follow the same simple style of hitting all the key points and getting all of the marks as it allows you to move on a lot quicker. As I'm sure you know, ES is 60% of your grade whilst KU is only 40%, so you really need to make sure your enquiry skills are top notch :smile:

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can quote, but you must at least refer by saying "Source 1 shows that 25% of the elderly use mobile phones whilst source 2 shows that the majority of people over 60 can use computers..." Bla bla bla, you get the idea. As I said, just follow the same simple style of hitting all the key points and getting all of the marks as it allows you to move on a lot quicker. As I'm sure you know, ES is 60% of your grade whilst KU is only 40%, so you really need to make sure your enquiry skills are top notch :smile:

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks again :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don'tKnow!
You have to rearrange it to make a trig equation and then solve it

I still don't really understand :confused:.

Also, does anyone know some good websites going over all the stuff you need to know for Standard Grade websites ? I mainly struggling with shapes and working out things from trig equations, like the question above. Any tips or good websites ?

The RE isn't actually testing right now, it's just I've forgotten how to do a lot of stuff. :colondollar:.
(edited 10 years ago)

Also, does anyone know some good websites going over all the stuff you need to know for Standard Grade websites ? I mainly struggling with shapes and working out things from trig equations, like the question above. Any tips or good websites ?

The RE isn't actually testing right now, it's just I've forgotten how to do a lot of stuff. :colondollar:.

Try http://www.mathsrevision.com/index_files/PowerPointLessons.htm for Maths revision! Its a great website, I use it all the time to revise.

How did everyone find the Chemistry exam today? I thought the Credit was easier than the General for some reason, but everyone thought different in my school :P

I hope the working below helps. Sorry I'm not very good at explaining things.

A good website for revision is www.mathsrevision.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers !
Another Maths question. It's not my fault, it's the SQA's for giving such terrible marking schemes with no working. :tongue:.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2011/SC_Mathematics_Paper-1-(Non-calculator)-and-Paper-2_2011.pdf

7b 8 9 and 10 please in the calc. :angry:Thanks guys, you really are doing me a huge favour.
(edited 10 years ago)
Another Maths question. It's not my fault, it's the SQA's for giving such terrible marking schemes with no working. :tongue:.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2011/SC_Mathematics_Paper-1-(Non-calculator)-and-Paper-2_2011.pdf

7b and 8 in the calc. Thanks guys, you really are doing me a huge favour.

http://www.invergordonacademy.org.uk/maths-documents.asp

Here, this has all working and solutions for all the last 10 years of pastpapers
<3

That website's awesome..

Ta very much.

7b 8 9 and 10 please in the calc. :angry:Thanks guys, you really are doing me a huge favour.

Pro tip for asking Maths questions: no one's going to just go ahead and give you the answers/solution (well they shouldn't, at least!). It's best if you can post up your working, or maybe even just WHERE in the question you're stuck/what in particular you're stuck with. That way, instead of just telling you how to do it, we can guide you in the right direction so that you learn how to do it yourself. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks Hype, but the website sorted out everything anyway - case closed.
Hey guys, just wondering, in August when we get our results would the results page or whatever say what you got in each part of the exam and also the percentage? For example, would it say 2 KU 62%, 3 PS 81% or would it just say 2 Overall?
Original post by Passwords
Hey guys, just wondering, in August when we get our results would the results page or whatever say what you got in each part of the exam and also the percentage? For example, would it say 2 KU 62%, 3 PS 81% or would it just say 2 Overall?

one sheet says your overall grade
the next sheet says what you got in each section eg ku 1 ps 2
it doesnt however tell you what your %s are.
Original post by Pennyarcade
one sheet says your overall grade
the next sheet says what you got in each section eg ku 1 ps 2
it doesnt however tell you what your %s are.

I'll post my certificate on for you's to look at later if you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll post my certificate on for you's to look at later if you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would actually be really interesting.

Cheers.
Quite happy about chemistry today, all the stuff I thought I'd forgot came back to me in the heat of the moment :biggrin:
Also, if you haven't looked at the SQA's parody account on Twitter, please do. It keeps me nicely distracted from revision.Linky.
Original post by SpanishInquisition
Quite happy about chemistry today, all the stuff I thought I'd forgot came back to me in the heat of the moment :biggrin:

Sound a lot like me in the exam earlier today! I thought it went amazingly, hopefully my results agree with me :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending