The Student Room Group

Edexcel psychology unit 4

Hey does anybody have issues and debates notes please!
p.s how does one get an A in psychology?! these edexcel markers are tight!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MBT Bot
It's been a while since you posted and nobody's replied yet...maybe you should check out MarkedbyTeachers.com, TSR's sister site. It has the largest library of essays in the UK with over 173,000+ coursework, essays, homeworks etc.. all written by GCSE, A Level, University and IB students across all topics.

Handpicked examples show formative feedback comments from some brilliant teachers. Plus, reviews from A* students and hints, tips & common mistakes from their teacher team. You get access either by publishing some of your own work, or paying £4.99 for a month's access. Both ways give you unlimited access to all of the essays.

All their documents are submitted to Turnitin anti-plagiarism software, so it can't be misused, and the site's used by hundreds of thousands of UK teachers and students.

What's more, you can take a look around the site and preview the work, read reviews and teacher summaries AND view the hints and tips absolutely free. Click here to find out more...

fk u
Reply 2
Edexcel markers are abosulte *****, though I put it down to the mark schemes. I requested my Unit 3 paper back and went through it with the mark scheme with my teacher, and they'd missed six marks I should have been allocated. No faith in them anymore, and my school is changing board after this year.

We've got the Student Unit Guide:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Psychology-Student-Unit-Guide/dp/1444162934/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367308984&sr=8-1&keywords=student+unit+guide+edexcel+psychology+unit+4

I've used the same guides for Units 1,2 and 3 and they're really good. That one though has material for all the other exam boards as well though.

Getting an A is a different question entirely. We looked at a "good" answer for a six marker the other day, which the head examiner had given full marks for. I lost count of the number of spelling mistakes, and their argument was basic to say the least, and yet it still got 6 marks. I genuinely hate exam boards, Edexcel in particular, for not grading based on knowledge but based on how many of the key words the candidate used.
Original post by remrod
Edexcel markers are abosulte *****, though I put it down to the mark schemes. I requested my Unit 3 paper back and went through it with the mark scheme with my teacher, and they'd missed six marks I should have been allocated. No faith in them anymore, and my school is changing board after this year.

We've got the Student Unit Guide:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Psychology-Student-Unit-Guide/dp/1444162934/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367308984&sr=8-1&keywords=student+unit+guide+edexcel+psychology+unit+4

I've used the same guides for Units 1,2 and 3 and they're really good. That one though has material for all the other exam boards as well though.

Getting an A is a different question entirely. We looked at a "good" answer for a six marker the other day, which the head examiner had given full marks for. I lost count of the number of spelling mistakes, and their argument was basic to say the least, and yet it still got 6 marks. I genuinely hate exam boards, Edexcel in particular, for not grading based on knowledge but based on how many of the key words the candidate used.

THANK YOU! trust me these people are pissing me off i swear, the mark schemes look simple i literally used mark schemes in my unit 3 and still came with a B like wtffff, hows revision going for unit 4! its mad!!! ugh doing all 4 units is pissing me off loool mannn they are tight as **** aswell :frown:
Reply 4
You're welcome :smile: Anything to help a fellow victim of Edexcel's satanic regime.

I honestly don't have a clue what's happening with unit 4. We've been through it all in class, but its more a case of 'Here's this, here's that.' I expect you to be experts on it by the end of the lesson.

Then again, most of it is stuff we've done before, its just a couple of new things to learn.
I'm resitting unit 3, having got a bad grade the last time. Like I said, got the paper back and they'd failed to award 6 marks I should have had, which would have put me up to the grade I needed.
I'm on Edexcel for Psychology, personally agree and think that they are the worst markers ever. I have managed to get As in every unit (got 2 marks off a B in Unit 1 the first time round) and I can only suggest reading smaller textbooks and the large thick one and combining notes out of both for sufficient detail. I actually got that book suggested above out of college last week and it's really concise, I like it. Unit 3 was god awful in terms of the child 12 marker - there was no evaluation for it in the books! I am freaking out about how much we need to know for unit 4, I have 5 exams this summer to juggle!

Wish you guys the best of luck, I think because this is Edexcel's last Unit 4 paper ever until they switch the A Level exams to one sitting they will go out with a bang and give us absolutely horrendous questions :frown:
Original post by emilypsychology
I'm on Edexcel for Psychology, personally agree and think that they are the worst markers ever. I have managed to get As in every unit (got 2 marks off a B in Unit 1 the first time round) and I can only suggest reading smaller textbooks and the large thick one and combining notes out of both for sufficient detail. I actually got that book suggested above out of college last week and it's really concise, I like it. Unit 3 was god awful in terms of the child 12 marker - there was no evaluation for it in the books! I am freaking out about how much we need to know for unit 4, I have 5 exams this summer to juggle!

Wish you guys the best of luck, I think because this is Edexcel's last Unit 4 paper ever until they switch the A Level exams to one sitting they will go out with a bang and give us absolutely horrendous questions :frown:

is it really the last paper?!!?!? how you revising for it so much content im retaking all units aswell :frown: i cant focus much atm! it just doesnt sink in! whats your ways? :/ well done on your grades btw!
Original post by Craming Revision
is it really the last paper?!!?!? how you revising for it so much content im retaking all units aswell :frown: i cant focus much atm! it just doesnt sink in! whats your ways? :/ well done on your grades btw!

Thank you!

It is the last single Unit 4 paper, due to Michael Gove being a nuisance and rearranging A Levels, all units will be taken after June 2013 as a single sitting at the end of the A Level year which seems like a nightmare to me. You're retaking all units?! You brave person.

Revising for me is simply sitting and reading most of the time - my concentration is poor so I don't tend to have music or the TV on. Sometimes I use earplugs to block all noise out too :smile: What I did, for example this morning, is read the methodology section for clinical in the thinner textbook then afterwards read the thicker textbook on the same section to bulk up on additional knowledge. Basically just reading over and over everything until exams come. Over the Easter holidays I also prepared revision posters on publisher to stick up on my wall to read now and again for simple testing. Plus, it tends to help in exams referring back to my visual memory of where that specific poster is on my wall at home and I kind of see the names and pictures for the information to then come back to me. Also, don't forget to print some past exams papers off and try them to get used to time constraints. It's all repetitive and dire but try to keep happy and maintain a 'can do' attitude to keep you motivated :smile:
Thank you!

It is the last single Unit 4 paper, due to Michael Gove being a nuisance and rearranging A Levels, all units will be taken after June 2013 as a single sitting at the end of the A Level year which seems like a nightmare to me. You're retaking all units?! You brave person.

Revising for me is simply sitting and reading most of the time - my concentration is poor so I don't tend to have music or the TV on. Sometimes I use earplugs to block all noise out too :smile: What I did, for example this morning, is read the methodology section for clinical in the thinner textbook then afterwards read the thicker textbook on the same section to bulk up on additional knowledge. Basically just reading over and over everything until exams come. Over the Easter holidays I also prepared revision posters on publisher to stick up on my wall to read now and again for simple testing. Plus, it tends to help in exams referring back to my visual memory of where that specific poster is on my wall at home and I kind of see the names and pictures for the information to then come back to me. Also, don't forget to print some past exams papers off and try them to get used to time constraints. It's all repetitive and dire but try to keep happy and maintain a 'can do' attitude to keep you motivated :smile:

cheers for the reply, haha ahw yeah! it sucks so hard im still making notes for unit 2!! i think im really behind atm havent touched issues/debates yet! exam is coming up close im so scared i still need to make notes for unit2/issues/debates before even revising all units! :frown: have you finished your content?
cheers for the reply, haha ahw yeah! it sucks so hard im still making notes for unit 2!! i think im really behind atm havent touched issues/debates yet! exam is coming up close im so scared i still need to make notes for unit2/issues/debates before even revising all units! :frown: have you finished your content?

As of Monday in class we finished all of our content. Slightly worried for the evaluating a new issue part where they can give you material and you use all of your unit 1,2,3 and 4 knowledge to explain and evaluate the issue. You would be good at that if you're resitting all units as all the information will be fresh in your head :smile:
As of Monday in class we finished all of our content. Slightly worried for the evaluating a new issue part where they can give you material and you use all of your unit 1,2,3 and 4 knowledge to explain and evaluate the issue. You would be good at that if you're resitting all units as all the information will be fresh in your head :smile:

do you use class booklets? is it ok just to soley rely on them as i have no time to use the books atm! bit late :frown:
do you use class booklets? is it ok just to soley rely on them as i have no time to use the books atm! bit late :frown:

We have class booklets but I never use them :P
If anything I'd scrap the booklets and use the books.
We have class booklets but I never use them :P
If anything I'd scrap the booklets and use the books.

:redface: is it to late to revise from books? iv got 2 really big ones about 300 pages each! :/ are you ontop of revision properly like know everything of by heart
:redface: is it to late to revise from books? iv got 2 really big ones about 300 pages each! :/ are you ontop of revision properly like know everything of by heart

It's never too late! Omg no, definitely not. I am familiar with content but I couldn't recall everything right now. Psychology is my last exam and I only need a C to come out with an A overall so I am a bit fearful I might neglect it a bit D:
It's never too late! Omg no, definitely not. I am familiar with content but I couldn't recall everything right now. Psychology is my last exam and I only need a C to come out with an A overall so I am a bit fearful I might neglect it a bit D:

my ums for psychology so far are,
56/80 UNIT 1
75/120 UNIT 2
61/80 UNIT 3
what do i need for a b? :/ im resitting them anyway but not really focused on psychology yet trying to do chem/maths out the way with first! lucky!!! only a c! the boundaries are really low for unit 4 aswell its like 55/90 for an A
my ums for psychology so far are,
56/80 UNIT 1
75/120 UNIT 2
61/80 UNIT 3
what do i need for a b? :/ im resitting them anyway but not really focused on psychology yet trying to do chem/maths out the way with first! lucky!!! only a c! the boundaries are really low for unit 4 aswell its like 55/90 for an A

You will need at bare minimum 88 marks for a B overall with your current marks. Grade B is 280-319 points altogether :smile:
You will need at bare minimum 88 marks for a B overall with your current marks. Grade B is 280-319 points altogether :smile:

is 88 marks alot? i mean like before half term i learnt all of unit 4 but havent touched it since, because been doing chem bio and maths work, but im starting psychology again on the weekend it'd probs take 4-1 week to get it back and running again i hope!
is 88 marks alot? i mean like before half term i learnt all of unit 4 but havent touched it since, because been doing chem bio and maths work, but im starting psychology again on the weekend it'd probs take 4-1 week to get it back and running again i hope!

88/120 would be a very high B I think, I'm sure in Unit 2 and 4 an A is 90/120. I don't know how you're functioning with so much work to do, you trooper!
88/120 would be a very high B I think, I'm sure in Unit 2 and 4 an A is 90/120. I don't know how you're functioning with so much work to do, you trooper!

haha guess how many exams i have!
12! loooool
4 psychology
2 bio
2 chem
4 maths
need AABB for offer lol
haha guess how many exams i have!
12! loooool
4 psychology
2 bio