The Student Room Group

Why do so many people at university 'try too hard'

I see it everywhere. People are always trying to fit in with the crowd and conform to some silly stereotypes. I know this happens in all walks of life but I notice it particularly so at university, more than I ever have done at school or anywhere else. The common stereotype which people try to live up to is this partying stereotype with people talking about banter, pre-lash, lads and so on. Other things where people 'try too hard' include girls cakeing their faces in makeup to impress guys and fit in with all the girls that do, guys joining up to the gym and getting sweeped up in all his bodybuilding/getting hench stuff, people buying iPads and iPhones to look cool. It's sickening and cringey. Why are there are so many people like this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it possible that some people feel more confident with make up, want to go out, party and gossip, and want a nice phone?
Reply 2
people don't have their own identity
Reply 3
Original post by Denacio
people don't have their own identity
precisely
Girls don't always cake themselves in make up because they want to impress guys, a lot of the time it's because they think they don't look decent without it.
Some guys want to body build because they enjoy it, not because they are conforming to silly stereotypes.
And the ipad and iphone things, people don't buy them to look 'cool', from what I've seen, a lot of people buy them because the technology is cool itself :')

Although there are a lot of people who do, and those people that are trying hard to fit in, will end up regretting it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Couldn't agree more- so many people at my former uni seemed to be avoiding individuality like the plague. I left after a few months for a variety of reasons, and to be honest I was glad to be back in the real world! There seemed to be two distinct groups making up an alarmingly high proportion of the student body- the ones who wore Holister trackies and JW hoodies, versus the ones who wore JW trackies and Holister hoodies.

You can't blame them really- going from a college of say 200 people to a uni of many thousands, most likely back at a social square one with a totally new circle of friends to establish, I suppose everyone has an understandable desire to fit in and become one of the 'in' crowd again- only this time the size of the 'in' crowd may have increased tenfold. Also remember that every school, college and newspaper education supplement in the land is telling us young people that university will be 'the best years' of our lives- who'd want to risk not fitting in with only a few short years to make the most of?

That's my $.02 anyway- my former uni seemed amazingly bereft of diversity and individuality, however I still enjoy visiting my sixth form friends at their universities (as often as my broken car-burdened budget permits :tongue:), and they for the most part seem to have found groups of genuinely personable and interesting friends, so everyone's results may vary I suppose!
Reply 6
You're saying people will go and spend £600 on an ipad to look "cool"?
i see what you mean, its just for many people its like the first time having to make a new group of friends since year 7, and even then you'd have primary school mates with you!

i feel people just have an idea of how they should act, however its always possible to find like minded people, just need to try not to be too judgmental, so what if that persons wearing a hollister hoodie, it may be his only one and finds it comfy, and just may be the person you could get along with the most, you just need to give people a chance.

"never judge a book by its cover"
Reply 8
Original post by Joker :)
I see it everywhere. People are always trying to fit in with the crowd and conform to some silly stereotypes. I know this happens in all walks of life but I notice it particularly so at university, more than I ever have done at school or anywhere else. The common stereotype which people try to live up to is this partying stereotype with people talking about banter, pre-lash, lads and so on. Other things where people 'try too hard' include girls cakeing their faces in makeup to impress guys and fit in with all the girls that do, guys joining up to the gym and getting sweeped up in all his bodybuilding/getting hench stuff, people buying iPads and iPhones to look cool. It's sickening and cringey. Why are there are so many people like this?

What do you have against people taking care of themselves or having fun?
Yep this is true in some sense, I know a former friend who brought an Iphone 5 and grown an afro just to fit in and stop most of their hobbies and is now obsessed with nightclubbing by going out everyday. When I go uni in September, I will not start to go to the gym just look hench, will not buy an Iphone/Ipad and will not be partying everyday. I just be fine being socially awkward. :rolleyes:
Reply 10

Completely agree- it's ****ing ghastly.

They just do it out of pathetic insecurity or naivety.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Emre944
What do you have against people taking care of themselves or having fun?

Thank-you for saying what I came to comment on. Any person joining a gym with the impression that they will, in the short-term, be able to get suddenly ripped and therefore attract the opposite sex and glance in every reflective surface at their toned body is sure to be disappointed within the first few months of going. It takes a long time and a lot of effort (as well as factors external to the gym, like healthy eating) to get that look, and if somebody joins the gym with the proper intention of achieving that, and understand that it will take a lot of hard work, then you can only applaud them no matter what their reason. Quite why anybody would make negative comments about people attempting to do what is naturally desirable for their health is beyond me.

Working out is not just about getting a 'ripped' body. It is about supplementing a healthy and productive lifestyle. When people say; "I do not want to join a gym for reason X", that is fine by me. But why on earth complain about those who do?
(edited 10 years ago)
Such a whiny thread tbh. If you don't want to conform, then don't. If people want to go to the gym just because everyone else is, then let them (not that all those who go do this, most of them just want to take care of themselves). Go and do your own thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Have you not witnessed, like, any other part of life at all? Its more true once you get an job and income if anything. I guarantee you are a slave to societal expectations in many other ways, even if you don;t go to the gym or whatever. Social status and 'fitting in' is simply how human society works.
(edited 10 years ago)
Because most people are insecure and deep,down just want to be accepted and make friends this is more true at university because you live there full time.
Reply 15
cool man
Original post by Vibenation
Yep this is true in some sense, I know a former friend who brought an Iphone 5 and grown an afro just to fit in and stop most of their hobbies and is now obsessed with nightclubbing by going out everyday. When I go uni in September, I will not start to go to the gym just look hench, will not buy an Iphone/Ipad and will not be partying everyday. I just be fine being socially awkward. :rolleyes:

Hey, I go to the gym to exercise and to meet people, talk to people etc.. rather than wanting to go to "become hench"
Reply 17
And by being so different, and awake to how the world actually works you feel at ease with yourself, therefore you don't need to supplement your life by getting drunk like a fool, or get jacked like a bro brah, you don't even need materialistic possessions becuase you are such a well rounded being.

You don't need to conform, you're a nonconformist, and you get together with you fellow socialites to laugh at the plebeians. By moaning on a forum about how people choose to enjoy themselves you show your true dominance.

You aren't part of a social splinter such as hipsters, you're original.

Your mummy told you so
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Vanderlyle
Thank-you for saying what I came to comment on. Any person joining a gym with the impression that they will, in the short-term, be able to get suddenly ripped and therefore attract the opposite sex and glance in every reflective surface at their toned body is sure to be disappointed within the first few months of going. It takes a long time and a lot of effort (as well as factors external to the gym, like healthy eating) to get that look, and if somebody joins the gym with the proper intention of achieving that, and understand that it will take a lot of hard work, then you can only applaud them no matter what their reason. Quite why anybody would make negative comments about people attempting to do what is naturally desirable for their health is beyond me.

Working out is not just about getting a 'ripped' body. It is about supplementing a healthy and productive lifestyle. When people say; "I do not want to join a gym for reason X", that is fine by me. But why on earth complain about those who do?

You're welcome and I completely agree. Getting ripped isn't a big enough incentive for dragging yourself to the gym several times a week. But the satisfaction from working out is. It's quite naive to believe you'll have any visible changes on your body in the short term. It takes serious conviction and dedication to develop any obvious changes.
Reply 19

Simple answer: everyone is desperate to get laid.

9 times out of 10 this is the motive for most (males) decisions.

I see it every time I go out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending