The Student Room Group

UCL Conditional Offer- mathematically impossible! Please Advice!

Hi Guys,

I recently received a conditional offer from UCL for MSc Environment and Sustainable Development. The offer was conditional upon my final undergraduate marks.

I am from India, so our grading is done on 10 point scale CGPA (similar to GPA which calculated out of 4). UCL says that they will accept me, provided I have a CGPA of atleast 8/10 when I graduate. Now, my CGPA after pre-final year was 7.29/10 and mathematically it can only reach a maximum of 7.8/10 upon completing my final year (that's if I score a perfect 10/10 for two consecutive semesters - one year for us has two semesters!!).

So basically, an 8/10 is mathematically impossible.

I am quite confused as to what to do now, should I write to them asking them to reconsider their conditions right now? Or should I wait for later? How will affect my chances of getting in?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by sustain91
should I write to them asking them to reconsider their conditions right now? Or should I wait for later? How will affect my chances of getting in?

You have nothing to lose as you cannot achieve the requirement. It will benefit you to know sooner rather than later whether they will soften the offer so it seems obvious that you should ask them to reduce the requirement as soon as possible, pointing out the impossibility of meeting it. They may not reduce it, of course, in which case you can move on to other possibilities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Hmm... Is there any possibility to re-sit some exams in the coming year? So, you can improve your grade and ultimately meet the condition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Areku
Hmm... Is there any possibility to re-sit some exams in the coming year?

It is a cumulative grade point system. Only the British are daft enough to consider it sensible to let pupils keep re-sitting and keep the best mark to ultimately achieve whatever grade they want.
Original post by psychedelicious
I think you'll find that if you resit a module at a UK University then it is classed as a second attempt (unless there's mitigating circumstances) and the maximum mark you can get is the pass mark which is usually 40%.

Yes, that is usually true. To be fair I was casting aspersions on the current A level system which is, perhaps, not really relevant to a degree course but seemed (perhaps wrongly) to me to be the limit of Areku's experience.
Reply 5
Original post by psychedelicious
I think you'll find that if you resit a module at a UK University then it is classed as a second attempt (unless there's mitigating circumstances) and the maximum mark you can get is the pass mark which is usually 40%.

I don't know university score system in the UK. In my previous university (which is not in the UK), I could re-sit some tests. But, it would take more time and efforts to catch up my study. And, the time to graduate is one of the consideration to award an honors or classification of my degree. If the student can finish in normal length of study (or faster) and with (still) very good GPA, s/he will be awarded first-class honor. If the student has very good result but s/he graduates longer than normal length of study, s/he will just be awarded second class degree (max).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
You should explain the situation to them (maybe even tell your potential supervisor and see if he or she can advocate on your behalf) and see if there's any chance that the condition can be adjusted. I had a similar situation when I applied for the MPhil at Cambridge last year and the condition WAS adjusted so it was mathematically possible for me to achieve, I met it, and all was fine.
Reply 7
Original post by Viceroy
You should explain the situation to them (maybe even tell your potential supervisor and see if he or she can advocate on your behalf) and see if there's any chance that the condition can be adjusted. I had a similar situation when I applied for the MPhil at Cambridge last year and the condition WAS adjusted so it was mathematically possible for me to achieve, I met it, and all was fine.

I very much agree with this. UCL are the only people who can resolve this issue for you - contact them direct as soon as possible and explain that they've given you a condition that you can't achieve.

At best, they will adjust the condition in your favour. At worst, they will refuse to change it - but at least then you'll know where you stand and can start planning an alternative. There's no point working blindly on as you are, knowing that you can't possibly get into UCL but not thinking about what else to do when you inevitably fail to get in.

If you contact UCL, they may very well want to accommodate you. Good luck!
Hi Guys,

I recently received a conditional offer from UCL for MSc Environment and Sustainable Development. The offer was conditional upon my final undergraduate marks.

I am from India, so our grading is done on 10 point scale CGPA (similar to GPA which calculated out of 4). UCL says that they will accept me, provided I have a CGPA of atleast 8/10 when I graduate. Now, my CGPA after pre-final year was 7.29/10 and mathematically it can only reach a maximum of 7.8/10 upon completing my final year (that's if I score a perfect 10/10 for two consecutive semesters - one year for us has two semesters!!).

I am quite confused as to what to do now, should I write to them asking them to reconsider their conditions right now? Or should I wait for later? How will affect my chances of getting in?

Thanks in advance!

hi, My name is nupur shukla and currently i am in my last semester of engineering(B.E. electronics and communication). i applied to kings (msc electronic engineering with business management) and ucl (msc technology entrepreneurship) .i have a contional offer from both wich says i need to achieve an aggregate of at least 8/10 (cgpa) after graduation. so my problem is that when i applied i was an 8.2 and i have been an 8.1 and above in all my semesters except my 7th sem where my gpa fell to 7.84 due to extreme medical conditions i was nt able to give exams. i am working hard in this last sem(8 th) to get good marks and achieve this score but i am also scared and terrified that what if i miss out by a minor mark and my admission is gone just because i was ill for one semester. ucl and kings are my dream schools and i really want to go. will they reject me? please help .
Original post by nupur shukla
hi, My name is nupur shukla and currently i am in my last semester of engineering(B.E. electronics and communication). i applied to kings (msc electronic engineering with business management) and ucl (msc technology entrepreneurship) .i have a contional offer from both wich says i need to achieve an aggregate of at least 8/10 (cgpa) after graduation. so my problem is that when i applied i was an 8.2 and i have been an 8.1 and above in all my semesters except my 7th sem where my gpa fell to 7.84 due to extreme medical conditions i was nt able to give exams. i am working hard in this last sem(8 th) to get good marks and achieve this score but i am also scared and terrified that what if i miss out by a minor mark and my admission is gone just because i was ill for one semester. ucl and kings are my dream schools and i really want to go. will they reject me? please help .

Hey im also in a similar situation. do you whether they are lenient abt this?
Original post by darkknight9090
Hey im also in a similar situation. do you whether they are lenient abt this?

Original post by nupur shukla

May I suggest you email the respective institutions' admissions tutors and ask? They're the only people who can give you an honest answer, and you have nothing to lose by asking since they'd find out soon enough.
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

I'm in a similar situation right now. Did you get an unconditional offer in the end? Can you tell me what the best way around this is?

Thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by thefinist
Hi!

I'm in a similar situation right now. Did you get an unconditional offer in the end? Can you tell me what the best way around this is?

Thanks!

This thread is from 2013 and OP hasn't been on TSR since then either.

As others have already said in this thread, your best bet would be to contact the university and explain your situation. Hopefully they will adjust their offer to something achievable, but it's not guaranteed. (It's not like you have anything to lose though, since you can't meet the grade anyway.) There's little point in working toward an unattainable grade -- contact them sooner rather than later imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending