The Student Room Group

Your favourite genre of music?

Poll

Favorite type of genre

Mine is Metal, I used to be a massive pop fan not so long ago, but I have discovered that metal isn't all about screaming, more to do with emotions which helps me get rid of some of my emotion, problems around us etc, lyrics are actually fantastic. Expect for metal I like a little bit of rap but that's rap with meaning, not lil wayne, 50 cent etc or even eminem, more immortal technique,, and I'm also starting to like olden tunes like Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, Frank Sinatra, all great, maybe when I'm older I'll listen to these songs, but my favourite is Metal, I like all kind of metal, Thrash, Death, Industrial, Heavy, Progessive etc. Only thing I hate is bands like Asking Alexandria, Black Veil Brides etc. A lot of my mates are fans of hip hop and pop, everyone to there own I guess.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
House.
Reply 2
Vocal chillstep/ dubstep, but there's no such option to I went for blues, just as goood
Lots of melodious R&B, bit of pop (not the ones by mainstream female artists for some reason) and a bit of house (SHM to be precise).

Can't stand rap, metal and dubstep. They make me want to punch things...
Filmscores!
Reply 5
Rock - classical, indie/alternative and pure Kasabian rock

Hip pop/rap pre 2010...

jazz (mainly instrumental)

Soul

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ChampEon
Lots of melodious R&B, bit of pop (not the ones by mainstream female artists for some reason) and a bit of house (SHM to be precise).

Can't stand rap, metal and dubstep. They make me want to punch things...

No :eek:? You might like some if you like melodious rnb. I dislike normal dubstep, but ever tried vocal chillstep?
Reply 7
Indie, folk punk and pop.
Reply 8
I said electronic, but really I mean trip-hop.
Reply 9
Original post by Pendulum3
Mine is Metal, I used to be a massive pop fan not so long ago, but I have discovered that metal isn't all about screaming, more to do with emotions which helps me get rid of some of my emotion, problems around us etc, lyrics are actually fantastic. Expect for metal I like a little bit of rap but that's rap with meaning, not lil wayne, 50 cent etc or even eminem, more immortal technique,, and I'm also starting to like olden tunes like Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, Frank Sinatra, all great, maybe when I'm older I'll listen to these songs, but my favourite is Metal, I like all kind of metal, Thrash, Death, Industrial, Heavy, Progessive etc. Only thing I hate is bands like Asking Alexandria, Black Veil Brides etc. A lot of my mates are fans of hip hop and pop, everyone to there own I guess.

Black veil brides is screamo not metal, I'm not sure about Asking Alexandria, I've never listend to them. Iron maiden is metal though, and they are very good. Also if you like Immortal Technique listen to this song called Voices of the Voiceless by Lowkey and Immortal Technique.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by azg545
Black veil brides is screamo not metal, I'm not sure about Asking Alexandria, I've never listend to them. Iron maiden is metal though, and they are very good. Also if you like Immortal Technique listen to this song called Voices of the Voiceless by Lowkey and Immortal Technique.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, and listened to voices of the voiceless, great song by good rap artists, I look into the lyrics and very meaningful, indeed, I would listen to more rap if some wasn't all about cars, girls, money etc.
Reply 11
Mines hip-hop, but not bad wannabe hip-hop artists such as Nicki Minaj and Li'l Wayne who are actually just R&B. I like artists such as Eminem, Tupac, Ice Cube, Proof, Macklemore etc. I mainly listen to Eminem, and another artist will.be featured in the song. Like the song Lighters by Eminem, Bruno Mars and Royce Da 5 9. I also like pop and rock, but I just listen to alot more hip-hop. Also I love Rizzlekicks. I don't mind some techno, but I rarely listen to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Reply 13
Original post by Pendulum3
Thanks, and listened to voices of the voiceless, great song by good rap artists, I look into the lyrics and very meaningful, indeed, I would listen to more rap if some wasn't all about cars, girls, money etc.

It is very good, I love the lyrics. If you want to listen to rap that's not about cars, money, girls etc. I suggest Changes by Tupac or Ghetto Gospel also by Tupac. Sing for the Moment by Eminem but I recall you mentioning that you don't really like Eminem. E and One Equal No One and What People do for Money both my Proof.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by azg545
It is very good, I love the lyrics. If you want to listen to rap that's not about cars, money, girls etc. I suggest Changes by Tupac or Ghetto Gospel also by Tupac. Sing for the Moment by Eminem but I recall you mentioning that you don't really like Eminem. E and One Equal No One and What People do for Money both my Proof.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll check those out, thanks, I like one tupac called shorty wanna be a thug.
Reply 15
Right now it is whatever you class this as.

Original post by OurConcern
No :eek:? You might like some if you like melodious rnb. I dislike normal dubstep, but ever tried vocal chillstep?

Hmmm just searched vocal chillstep on Youtube for the first time and it's quite good tbh, so thanks for introducing me to it. Two problems though...

Firstly, I dislike the concept of remixes (and I don't even know why). Secondly, I never listen to songs by female artists (maybe because subconsciously I feel I can only relate to songs sung by males :s-smilie:). Cos of these stupid things, I'm probably going to be stuck listening to the same type of music for the rest of my life! :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by ChampEon
Hmmm just searched vocal chillstep on Youtube for the first time and it's quite good tbh, so thanks for introducing me to it. Two problems though...

Firstly, I dislike the concept of remixes (and I don't even know why). Secondly, I never listen to songs by female artists (maybe because subconsciously I feel I can only relate to songs sung by males :s-smilie:). Cos of these stupid things, I'm probably going to be stuck listening to the same type of music for the rest of my life! :frown:
ahaha I'm nearly the same, it's either a female a male with a high voice for me to feel really comfortable but there are exceptions. I like slow rnb myself. Lets hear something you listen to,?

This is my favourite chillstep song right now,it's a female again have a listen if you like, if u ever feel like relaxing music, https://soundcloud.com/loodmarecordings/id3-feat-soundmouse-hummingbird
Original post by OurConcern
ahaha I'm nearly the same, it's either a female a male with a high voice for me to feel really comfortable but there are exceptions. I like slow rnb myself. Lets hear something you listen to,?

This is my favourite chillstep song right now,it's a female again have a listen if you like, if u ever feel like relaxing music, https://soundcloud.com/loodmarecordings/id3-feat-soundmouse-hummingbird

Wow I love that song! :zomg:

That's exactly the sort of thing I like, i.e. slow, ambient, atmospheric music with decent beats. That's the only reason I even listen to R&B, so that I can wade through a river of **** and find gold like "Marvin's Room", "Trust Issues" and "Crew Love" by Drake and so on. I'll be looking up more chillstep songs from now on, thanks!
Reply 19
Bassline/Grime...i like dark orchestral music so some shostokavitch is good too

Quick Reply