The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot Watt Accommodation

Hello Guys,

I am accepted to Heriot Watt for my MSc in Petroleum Engineering for 2013-2014 and I am in a kind of dilemma.

Should I stay on Campus? I am not really happy to live in student halls because I know all the freshers will be partying. If it is the best choice, is there any apartments with international students? I have nothing against English but I know they usually stick with their groups and they don't have any foreign students with them.

If I stay in the City centre will I be alone? I know the campus is quite far away from the City centre. Are there any students living in campus or are there any students actually staying in private flats in the city?

Please share your experiences.

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Hi :smile:

Im hoping to attend Heriot Watt to study business but I need to meet my condition first. I went to one of their open days and spoke to a student there and she said that most students will live on campus for their first year until they become settled and then afterwords will move to the city centre for the rest of their time at uni so I was planning on doing the same. Hope this helps :smile:
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Yeah I agree and then you can maybe get a flat with the new friends that you make after your first year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
No one read the OP's post? He's doing a MSc meaning the postgraduate degree so will only be there for 1 year. Anyway, I believe there is some hall (Self-catered flats or something) that is reserved for postgraduate students so that might be good for you if your not into living with all the freshers.

Here's a link to the flats: http://www.hw.ac.uk/student-life/campus-life/edinburgh/self-catered-flats.htm
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies guys. I will visit the campus after i graduate. It's only 1:30 hours away by train from Newcastle. If I like the halls i will apply there if not I will find a flat to rent...
Reply 5
Alex I am still waiting for my unconditional acceptance from heriot Watt but I have been looking at some websites of self-catered residences in the city centre, I have been to edinburgh before and I would highly recommend you to live in the city centre as our course is just 1 year (I applied for MSc Pet Eng too). Also, there are halls, some of them an average standard, and some others a bit luxurious but not too expensive, like IQ residence, Chalmers street unite accommodation, collegiate ac, st james craig court..you will see and then choose...If I get my uncond acceptance I will be living in one of them...
Reply 6
Original post by alexpol123
Thanks for the replies guys. I will visit the campus after i graduate. It's only 1:30 hours away by train from Newcastle. If I like the halls i will apply there if not I will find a flat to rent...

Alex I am still waiting for my unconditional acceptance from heriot Watt but I have been looking at some websites of self-catered residences in the city centre, I have been to edinburgh before and I would highly recommend you to live in the city centre as our course is just 1 year (I applied for MSc Pet Eng too). Also, there are halls, some of them an average standard, and some others a bit luxurious but not too expensive, like IQ residence, Chalmers street unite accommodation, collegiate ac, st james craig court..you will see and then choose...If I get my uncond acceptance I will be living in one of them...
Reply 7
Original post by Oscardo
Alex I am still waiting for my unconditional acceptance from heriotWatt but I have been looking at some websites of self-catered residences in the city centre, I have been to edinburgh before and I would highly recommend you to live in the city centre as our course is just 1 year (I applied for MSc Pet Eng too). Also, there are halls, some of them an average standard, and some others a bit luxurious but not too expensive, like IQ residence, Chalmers street unite accommodation, collegiate ac, st james craig court..you will see and then choose...If I get my uncond acceptance I will be living in one of them...

Thats quite useful. Thank you... Where are u from ? did u do your undergrads in heriot watt?
Reply 8
Thats quite useful. Thank you... Where are u from ? did u do your undergrads in heriot watt?

I am from Colombia, I graduated one year ago from a Colombian University but live some years ago in london....
Reply 9
Original post by Oscardo
I am from Colombia, I graduated one year ago from a Colombian University but live some years ago in london....

Oh great.. you will help me learn spanish :smile: So if you get an offer, will you accept it?
Reply 10
Oh great.. you will help me learn spanish :smile: So if you get an offer, will you accept it?

definitely I will accept that! And of course I can do my best at teaching Spanish haha
Oscardo you need to teach me Spanish as well haha. Alex I too have an offer for Msc Petroleum Engineering from heriot watt. May be we can rent an apartment together at the city centre along with one or two more pete students. I would want to live with Msc pete students only because you receive a major help in terms of everything, I witnessed this during my undergrads in pete. Luckily I stayed with pe guys only :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by ricky_ricotta
Oscardo you need to teach me Spanish as well haha. Alex I too have an offer for Msc Petroleum Engineering from heriot watt. May be we can rent an apartment together at the city centre along with one or two more pete students. I would want to live with Msc pete students only because you receive a major help in terms of everything, I witnessed this during my undergrads in pete. Luckily I stayed with pe guys only :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That doesnt sound like a bad idea. Where are u from ? If you are english we can meet at a point during late june july search for accommodation. Let me know
That doesnt sound like a bad idea. Where are u from ? If you are english we can meet at a point during late june july search for accommodation. Let me know

I am from India.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
when are u coming from india ?

Original post by ricky_ricotta
I am from India.

Posted from TSR Mobile
when are u coming from india ?

I will come in August. You will be there around that time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Maybe try the accommdation office? They sublet flats (I'm currently staying in one this year) which are close to the main bus routes and reasonably priced :smile:
Original post by Rhi93
Maybe try the accommdation office? They sublet flats (I'm currently staying in one this year) which are close to the main bus routes and reasonably priced :smile:

Ya I've also applied for on campus student flats in their new buildings which they have renovated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hi guys!

I've already received an unconditional offer for REM in HW for September 2013. I was thinking as well whether would be better to stay in the campus accomodation or renting an apartment in the city centre... and definetely I'll go for the second option. The campus seems to be a bit far away from the city, and since I have to chance to spend 1 year in Edinburgh, I want to get the most from it! I'm in the process of serching through renting websites, and it seems that it's going to be a long process... :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by Rhi93

Hi! Are you talking about the self catered rooms they have in the city center? Is the location good? I've never been in Edinburgh before and I'm still a bit lost with the neighborhoods...

Quick Reply

Latest