The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

My final placement is so hard hahahahahahaha.

I didn't do too bad on teaching phonics, and guided reading went pretty well today despite me having completely forgotten to plan for it. Teacher praised my behaviour management anyway, which is nice because that's something I worried about.

I've managed to get a job secured for September now too, which is a weight off at least.

Stick with it guys! On Weds I broke down in my car with how hard everything was, considered not even going to interview, told my friends I want to quit the course, but we're so near the end!!! xxx
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
My final placement is so hard hahahahahahaha.

I didn't do too bad on teaching phonics, and guided reading went pretty well today despite me having completely forgotten to plan for it. Teacher praised my behaviour management anyway, which is nice because that's something I worried about.

I've managed to get a job secured for September now too, which is a weight off at least.

Stick with it guys! On Weds I broke down in my car with how hard everything was, considered not even going to interview, told my friends I want to quit the course, but we're so near the end!!! xxx

Well done for getting a job. :smile: I've just started widening my net - was looking in a 30 mile radius of my current address but now looking a bit further afield. But to be honest, I don't feel like I've got time to apply for much, even if there were loads of suitable jobs out there. Going to try and get a couple of applications done this weekend.

Because I'm struggling with behaviour management, I feel like a total failure, but when I ask my mentor they say I'm definitely on track to pass the course, just some of the standards are weaker than others. I had no problems at all with behaviour in my first school (but then, I had no Year 9s!), but am finding it a constant struggle.

But as you say, we are so near the end. I've only got 3 weeks more of teaching my current timetable (17 lessons per week) and then 3 weeks more on a reduced timetable. Plus we've got half-term, and a bank holiday Monday! :biggrin:

Using this morning to catch up on paperwork before I start planning for next week. I've got a whole week's worth of lessons I haven't formally evaluated yet. :frown:
I have 3 weeks left of the placement! I have soooo much to do. Had a great observation yesterday, by far the best I've ever had. Tutor is coming in an hour for Numeracy (after the failure by one mark the 'rents are shelling out) I've applied for 3 jobs this week, have another 3 to write and an interview on Tuesday. Then I have to plan/ teach and enquiry and my uni tutor visit on the 7th.....Snowed under right now!
Original post by xxmijxx
Hey just a quick advice search! I'm really struggling t get my form group engaged in any kind of meaningful activity, I've tried a lot of the things suggested on-line, news time, getting them teaching something, we even did Chinese whispers which they all begrudgingly got into... They're quite competitive so I was thinking some kind of competition would be good, but I'm not sure on a theme... I would be massively grateful for any ideas.

Brain-teasers? With a prize for the first one to solve it?
Or what about anagrams/countdown style activities? Who can make the longest word for example?
Reply 2045
Anagrams might be an idea, really wanted t get them teaching abut their hobbies but their attention span just would let it work, and debates are right out of the window! May try om anagrams today and see what they come up with thanks!
Original post by xxmijxx
Anagrams might be an idea, really wanted t get them teaching abut their hobbies but their attention span just would let it work, and debates are right out of the window! May try om anagrams today and see what they come up with thanks!

Your form sound like mine, debates are not in the frame yet but they have started being able to discuss stuff with each other on their tables and I can pick some people to feed back. They also like sharing news, it's not the best class discussion frame but they're getting better. It ends up being a mixture of serious news, random weird news that the boys have found, and sometimes news from their own lives, which is quite nice.

They also quite like challenges such as 'find the most countries that begin with the letter C', for instance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have a good feeling about today. Would anyone mind lending an ear?
Original post by sunfowers01

I will :smile: I'm not a PGCE student yet, but I'm a good listener :smile:
Original post by sunfowers01

PM me if you like :smile:
So after a month and a half of moaning that I loathe my school, it's finally beginning to grow on me. I think I've realised that there's only so much I can do in 8 weeks and I can't make every kid love learning in that time, so I'm becoming a lot more chilled about it.

However, spending half an hour trying to get a 'top-set' Year 6 maths pupil to tell me the answer to 'half of 50' or '6+2' has to be the most frustrating half hour of my life. SATs are gonna go so well in a couple of weeks haha.
I'm still not sure if I like my school or not. It really seems to take the fun out of teaching, and learning actually. I'm so glad I found SEN as a pathway, I'd have so quit this course by now otherwise!!
I need to improve my modelling in lessons, any ideas how?
Original post by iamthegreatest1
I need to improve my modelling in lessons, any ideas how?

are you primary or secondary?

I'm primary and I tend to plan exactly how I'm going to model beforehand and be really explicit with what I want them to do. For year 2 maths, for example, I would model what I wanted them to do using the exact format that they would be using in their independent work and found this made a big difference. I also check they understand by modelling it myself first, then giving them another example to do in pairs or as a class to check for any misconceptions before they go off independently. Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for!
Original post by Sarang_assa
are you primary or secondary?

I'm primary and I tend to plan exactly how I'm going to model beforehand and be really explicit with what I want them to do. For year 2 maths, for example, I would model what I wanted them to do using the exact format that they would be using in their independent work and found this made a big difference. I also check they understand by modelling it myself first, then giving them another example to do in pairs or as a class to check for any misconceptions before they go off independently. Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for!

Thanks for your reply!

That was very helpful. I am currently doing my final placement in Year 5 and need to spend more time modelling for Literacy and Numeracy. I tend to expect the children to know more than they do. If you have any other tips or suggestions on how to model effectively then please let me know.
Thanks for your reply!

That was very helpful. I am currently doing my final placement in Year 5 and need to spend more time modelling for Literacy and Numeracy. I tend to expect the children to know more than they do. If you have any other tips or suggestions on how to model effectively then please let me know.

Ooh I start in a year 5 class on the 13th. So nervous! I'm repeating my first placement, and I'm hoping that because I already did 5 weeks the first time round I have a bit of a better idea what to expect this time, and it will be nice starting at 20% teaching and working my way up again. I was in year 2 last time and have zero ks2 experience so rather scared!

I guess as you're on your final placement you're responsible for most of the teaching. Could you maybe use the first lesson of a new unit to gauge where they are and then plan the rest from there?

Maybe try doing plenty of thinking and pair discussion during the whole class teaching part so you can get a good idea of their level of understanding before you send them off to do their independent work. Have you tried asking your mentor for ideas too?

How do you find behaviour management and attitudes with year 5? Do they still like stickers and pleasing the teacher or has that started to wear off? And if you don't mind me asking, what story books are you reading as a class? I'd like to read a couple before I start jsut to get an idea of what they enjoy, thanks! x
Reply 2056
Thanks for your reply!

Hello I'm in year 5 at the minute, I've been told to model more as I'm expecting too much. I've started making sure that if I ask them to write a paragraph on persuasion for example... I would write it first and discuss the vocab and punctuation that I've used and discuss why it is or isn't effective in that kind of writing. For maths it's about modelling the way you expect them to complete their calculations. I'm teaching short division tomorrow so I'll be showing the children how to do it but in differentiated versions so that the lower and higher can participate.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a bit of a lurker on here so I feel kind of bad just coming on here to complain, but I hope some of you might understand.

I'm a primary trainee, I've just received the details for my 3rd placement and am told it's going to be collaborative with another trainee in the class. I already had this for my first placement which was fine as the lesser amount of teaching we were required to do meant we could split the timetable between us. Thankfully I had a single placement the second time, but I really don't feel like I will be adequately prepared for the job without the experience of having to be the full class teacher for several weeks.

Really don't know what to do - I start next week so there's little time to sort this out. My university are not listening at all and I just feel so disillusioned with it. I should be excited about starting my placement and now I just feel worried. I don't want to have to do half the amount of teaching because I am sharing it with another trainee.

Anyone else experienced this at their training provider?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by glittersticks
I'm a bit of a lurker on here so I feel kind of bad just coming on here to complain, but I hope some of you might understand.

I'm a primary trainee, I've just received the details for my 3rd placement and am told it's going to be collaborative with another trainee in the class. I already had this for my first placement which was fine as the lesser amount of teaching we were required to do meant we could split the timetable between us. Thankfully I had a single placement the second time, but I really don't feel like I will be adequately prepared for the job without the experience of having to be the full class teacher for several weeks.

Really don't know what to do - I start next week so there's little time to sort this out. My university are not listening at all and I just feel so disillusioned with it. I should be excited about starting my placement and now I just feel worried. I don't want to have to do half the amount of teaching because I am sharing it with another trainee.

Anyone else experienced this at their training provider?

Hi, it does sound unusual that two out of three placements on the PGCE are shared!

Could you maybe team teach sometimes rather than splitting it down the middle? So maybe plan together, as you would with another class in the same year group, and one of you take the lead in the intro, both work with your own group in the main activity and then the other person lead the plenary. It could be a blessing in disguise when it comes to marking, modelling pair work and planning. Or do you have to teach seperately 50/50?

Teaching with another teacher can be tricky. I co-taught EFL for a year, I had 5 co-teachers and each had a different style, some worked better than others, so I guess it depends what kind of person you get.

Is there another area suitable for teaching where maybe you could split the class in half, and take half the class each, differentiating the activities and LO based on ability or interests. Or have different activities suitable for all and swap. That way you'd both to get to teach a full lesson.

If team teaching isn't possible though not sure how it will work because surely you both have to teach a near full timetable towards the end? :s
Original post by Sarang_assa

Teaching with another teacher can be tricky. I co-taught EFL for a year, I had 5 co-teachers and each had a different style, some worked better than others, so I guess it depends what kind of person you get.

Where did you teach and what teaching styles did your colleagues use, if you don't mind me asking. I'm working in ESL at the moment.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending