The Student Room Group

Trinity College Dublin VS Cass

I have received an offer for Cass Investment and Financial Risk Management but I also have the opportunity to study Economics and Mathematics at TCD. Which of the two would give me the most potential and options in terms of IB and Hedge Fund employment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Reply 2
Cass isnt targeted for front office positions at bulge brackets banks.

On the other hand, TCD is targeted by some banks like MS. Also, you would be in a better position to do a masters afterwards since the course is likely to be much more rigorous.

So i would say TCD
Reply 3
Original post by Frenchous
Cass isnt targeted for front office positions at bulge brackets banks.

On the other hand, TCD is targeted by some banks like MS. Also, you would be in a better position to do a masters afterwards since the course is likely to be much more rigorous.

So i would say TCD

I've been thinking that exact same way, just wanted a few more opinions. Thank you very much :biggrin:
Reply 4
Any more opinion or people willing to share knowledge?
Reply 5
Lol i'm a ifrm 2nd year student. I can say for a fact it is target by citi and pnb paribas in particular. So your statement there is complete false. In addition, cass is targeted many hedge funds for placement years. These are just the ones i've had experience with. Find out facts next time before you comment about cass.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Viz9
Lol i'm a ifrm 2nd year student. I can say for a fact it is target by citi and pnb paribas in particular. So your statement there is complete false. In addition, cass is targeted many hedge funds for placement years. These are just the ones i've had experience with. Find out facts next time before you comment about cass.

You are so not targeted by anyone that you can't even spell bank's names right
Reply 7
I've seen a few people from Trinity in the banks in London, more middle and back office it has to be said. I don't know what the investment banking industry is like in Ireland, but I would imagine the better graduates aim for jobs in London.

City/Cass are mainly targeted for middle and back office roles, although you do get a few banks looking for front office too, and as said above, they do have a decent record with hedge funds (although that may not be of great interest to you).
Reply 8
Original post by Indus
I've seen a few people from Trinity in the banks in London, more middle and back office it has to be said. I don't know what the investment banking industry is like in Ireland, but I would imagine the better graduates aim for jobs in London.

City/Cass are mainly targeted for middle and back office roles, although you do get a few banks looking for front office too, and as said above, they do have a decent record with hedge funds (although that may not be of great interest to you).

Hedge Funds are of massive interest to me. What would TCD's reputation be like for HFs considering they have one of the best mathematics departments in Europe?
Reply 9
Original post by Sgany
Hedge Funds are of massive interest to me. What would TCD's reputation be like for HFs considering they have one of the best mathematics departments in Europe?

To be honest, I don't know. I worked for GS last summer and met a few people from Trinity kicking about the middle and back office (more than from Cass). I know a few of the top students from Cass who have (somehow) secured year placements and summer internships with hedge funds, but know nothing of Trinity's capabilities as far as hedge fund recruiting goes. I'm at one of the London 'targets' and we definitely don't have the links to hedge funds that Cass appears to have; however, we do get more sell-side recruiting.

I question how much use links to hedge funds will be though. Most hedge funds will hire straight from the sell-side rather than from universities. So although Cass may have a few good alumni links (or something else) to help some stand-out students get in to the buy-side, the vast majority will probably be struggling to get into front office of the bulge brackets. Just my two cents really; hopefully it will spark some debate into how good Cass is for links to hedge funds etc once someone more knowledgeable stumbles across the thread.
Reply 10
Original post by Indus
To be honest, I don't know. I worked for GS last summer and met a few people from Trinity kicking about the middle and back office (more than from Cass). I know a few of the top students from Cass who have (somehow) secured year placements and summer internships with hedge funds, but know nothing of Trinity's capabilities as far as hedge fund recruiting goes. I'm at one of the London 'targets' and we definitely don't have the links to hedge funds that Cass appears to have; however, we do get more sell-side recruiting.

I question how much use links to hedge funds will be though. Most hedge funds will hire straight from the sell-side rather than from universities. So although Cass may have a few good alumni links (or something else) to help some stand-out students get in to the buy-side, the vast majority will probably be struggling to get into front office of the bulge brackets. Just my two cents really; hopefully it will spark some debate into how good Cass is for links to hedge funds etc once someone more knowledgeable stumbles across the thread.

You have been a great help, thank you very much :biggrin: All the best to you :smile: I don't suppose you learned the course which the Trinity students were taking by any chance?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Sgany
You have been a great help, thank you very much :biggrin: All the best to you :smile: I don't suppose you learned the course which the Trinity students were taking by any chance?

No, sorry. Although banks tend to target universities rather than courses.
Reply 12
Original post by Frenchous
You are so not targeted by anyone that you can't even spell bank's names right

I just need to chip in. Cass is Target for BNPP, trust me.

To shed some light and give statistics. I'll be interning in a top tier BB this summer and from the list of interns I can see following for FO roles. (Might have missed some)
LSE - 16
Oxbridge - 17
UCL - 6
Imperial - 3
Cass - 3

Good luck with your choices guys!
Reply 13
Original post by Baxus2010
I just need to chip in. Cass is Target for BNPP, trust me.

To shed some light and give statistics. I'll be interning in a top tier BB this summer and from the list of interns I can see following for FO roles. (Might have missed some)
LSE - 16
Oxbridge - 17
UCL - 6
Imperial - 3
Cass - 3

Good luck with your choices guys!

Sweet achievement from Cass bro. Making it a 7% intake from your figures, feelin it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Nomura also recruit from Cass for FO roles as well. Again, it's a small number though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending