The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by climberkid
Yep :/ Mine don't start for about a month though

Good luck for when you do take them! A levels?
Reply 2381
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Did anyone else doubt their visual acuity when they firmed on UCAS? I think I spent about 5 minutes staring at the screen to make sure I wasn't declining Cambridge by accident.

My mum & Dad looked on whilst I did it to double check I'd done it right.
Did anyone else doubt their visual acuity when they firmed on UCAS? I think I spent about 5 minutes staring at the screen to make sure I wasn't declining Cambridge by accident.

My parents stared at it whilst I clicked :biggrin:

Yes, and I had to keep checking for a few days afterwards every so often just to make sure I'd put it down as firm and not insurance. :lol:
Howdy all :smile: Just gatecrashing to see if there are any future Valencians (Pembroke students, for the uninitiated) hanging around?

(Okay, yeah, I just wanted a break from revision :tongue: )
Original post by Theflyingbarney
Howdy all :smile: Just gatecrashing to see if there are any future Valencians (Pembroke students, for the uninitiated) hanging around?

(Okay, yeah, I just wanted a break from revision :tongue: )

damn, I should have applied to Pembroke cause then I could be a double Valencian (Spanish city/region :tongue:)

I had to get a ruler and line up the combo box with the university name...
Original post by Emmav123
Had my first exam today that determines whether I go to Cambridge or not!! Ahhhhhh!!! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

hope it went well. what was it?
Original post by SwarajD
Which staircase were you staying at? Mine was O, and I was in a guest room, so I didn't get to see any proper rooms.

I was in N and it was lovely!
Reply 2389
Original post by Emmav123
Does anyone here not do A levels? I'd love to know what you think about the difficulty of your offer doing a different against some of the A level offers! I do the IB btw :-)

Original post by CLS94
Got my exams starting tomorrow. Really want to meet this offer, but the IB is too bloody dificult aghh

Another IB kid here!

I've totally lost all motivation to study. Just had my first exam today... don't think I did as well as I could've. I'm actually afraid I might miss my offer :/
Reply 2390
Original post by gabriejike
hope it went well. what was it?

Human rights IB! It went pretty well thanks! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2391
Original post by Rushtail
Another IB kid here!

I've totally lost all motivation to study. Just had my first exam today... don't think I did as well as I could've. I'm actually afraid I might miss my offer :/

You do the IB? Wow so nice to meet you! What was your exam? Mine was human rights on Tuesday and English today. What's your offer for Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SwarajD
Me too! Which category will you be choosing? Any idea what the places are even like?

Original post by St. Brynjar
Well the most expensive one possible works out at around £3,500 which is really cheap compared to other unis, I think I'll go for the second highest category. The accom for my interview was huge - had sofa and two armchairs - and I imagine a bit smaller than that will still be really comfy.

I'm a Tit Hall student. Chuck any questions my way about accommodation! :smile:
Original post by camaieu

How much of a difference is there between the categories? In other words, is it worth paying more for a better room in the first year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SpecialKaye
Oh, that's strange. :confused: I'm soon to be a soprano at Fitz, but there really weren't many applicants so maybe they needed less time to think about it than Catz. Still, seems like a long time to be waiting...

I emailed my admission tutor and I've just got a letter from them special delivery saying I've been offered a place! Yay! :smile:
Original post by camaieu

Is it worth going for the more expensive rooms? Or is their not much difference?
Original post by Storm2112
I emailed my admission tutor and I've just got a letter from them special delivery saying I've been offered a place! Yay! :smile:

That's great! Well done. :smile:
Original post by not_a_dog
How much of a difference is there between the categories? In other words, is it worth paying more for a better room in the first year? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it worth going for the more expensive rooms? Or is their not much difference?

To be honest, just go with what you're most comfortable with paying. All the rooms are really nice, it's just that some have prettier views than others. There's never any more than 4 people to a bathroom, and no more than 6-8 to a shower. I pay £100 a week for my room, which is great, and my best friend on my staircase pays half of that and gets a beautiful (albeit tiny. v. tiny) room, which is fine. :smile:
Original post by camaieu
To be honest, just go with what you're most comfortable with paying. All the rooms are really nice, it's just that some have prettier views than others. There's never any more than 4 people to a bathroom, and no more than 6-8 to a shower. I pay £100 a week for my room, which is great, and my best friend on my staircase pays half of that and gets a beautiful (albeit tiny. v. tiny) room, which is fine. :smile:

Sounds about right. Is £100 a week manageable, or do you ever find yourself wishing you had an extra tenner for booze stationary?
Sounds about right. Is £100 a week manageable, or do you ever find yourself wishing you had an extra tenner for booze stationary?

The way it works is that you get your rent for the term tallied onto a "bill". You pay your Michaelmas bill about 2 weeks into term, and then you pay your Lent bill at the start of Easter term, and so on. Other things that get charged onto your bill are your use of college printers and food, etc. So it all gets taken out in a big chunk.

To be honest, it depends on your own financial circumstances: the Cambridge bursary (of which I am in receipt and to which I am greatly endebted!) wipes out most of my college bill. I come from a low income family, so I also get a government loan and maintenance grant, so money-wise, I'm fine. I don't really drink a lot or go crazy with my money, so I find I'm OK. There are a lot of measures and bursaries in place to make sure you have enough to live on, but I doubt it would have to come to that. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending