The Student Room Group

Warwick or UCL for Maths: current students' experiences.

I'm having trouble deciding whether I should firm UCL or Warwick. I've been to both universities many times, seen league tables and looked at accommodation for both universities, but still it feels like I don't really know enough to make the decision. If anybody here could shed some light on the few remaining points of interest I will be extremely grateful!

UCL students:

how hard is it to visit sports facilities, i.e. sports halls (for basketball) regularly? Are they too far away for spontaneous use?

is the maths course flexible? Can you take modules from other departments with relative freedom?

how heavy is the work load? (Of course it will be hard, but I mainly ask because I'd like to know if you have a lot of free time).

how much support do you get on the maths course?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Id like to hear from current students as well. I feel I would enjoy UCL as a university and London as a city more for its student life. Possibly do better on their course.

But I feel that id enjoy the course at Warwick more. I don't have to decide Until June than goodness. Well really I wanna decide by the 20th since I may need to apply for UCL accommodation by the 31st.

so bump
Reply 2
Original post by jarasta
Id like to hear from current students as well. I feel I would enjoy UCL as a university and London as a city more for its student life. Possibly do better on their course.

But I feel that id enjoy the course at Warwick more. I don't have to decide Until June than goodness. Well really I wanna decide by the 20th since I may need to apply for UCL accommodation by the 31st.

so bump

I think I have almost exactly the same opinions as you on the matter! I've got half a week to decide so it's really last minute for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Not sure about basketball, but there's a sports centre about 10 minutes from UCL that a lot of sports societies use. There are also sports halls in a few of the UCL halls (accommodation), but I don't know if you can just turn up and use them.

No outside modules in the first year, 1 in second and up to 2 in third. If you're on the MSci course you shouldn't be taking non-maths modules. Nothing's stopping you from attending lectures of modules you aren't registered for, though.

The work load really, really depends on your natural ability, so it's hard to say. Everyone has free time though.

Support: as much as you want, you can always visit lecturers during their office hours to ask questions. There's more structured support in first year as well.

Sorry to be brief. Everyone has exams at the moment so you probably won't get many replies. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, but I might not get around to replying for a few weeks :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by sheeesh
Not sure about basketball, but there's a sports centre about 10 minutes from UCL that a lot of sports societies use. There are also sports halls in a few of the UCL halls (accommodation), but I don't know if you can just turn up and use them.

No outside modules in the first year, 1 in second and up to 2 in third. If you're on the MSci course you shouldn't be taking non-maths modules. Nothing's stopping you from attending lectures of modules you aren't registered for, though.

The work load really, really depends on your natural ability, so it's hard to say. Everyone has free time though.

Support: as much as you want, you can always visit lecturers during their office hours to ask questions. There's more structured support in first year as well.

Sorry to be brief. Everyone has exams at the moment so you probably won't get many replies. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, but I might not get around to replying for a few weeks :wink:

I have a question about the year abroad. How had is it to get a place to go do a year abroad?
I'd suggest Warwick, if you have the grades.

- Large sport center on campus, relatively close to all accomodations
- Warwick is known for its very flexible math course. You can take basically any module offered by the university (unless there are timetable clashes)
- We have a very large and new math department, math is one of Warwick's best courses and a lot of focus is given to math. Lots of students, resources, support (supervisions, classes, tutorials,...) etc. I've heard that UCL's math department is just one floor in some building, we have our own building.
Reply 6
Original post by crunchychips
I'd suggest Warwick, if you have the grades.

- Large sport center on campus, relatively close to all accomodations
- Warwick is known for its very flexible math course. You can take basically any module offered by the university (unless there are timetable clashes)
- We have a very large and new math department, math is one of Warwick's best courses and a lot of focus is given to math. Lots of students, resources, support (supervisions, classes, tutorials,...) etc. I've heard that UCL's math department is just one floor in some building, we have our own building.
Its a few floors :P
I know all that, But I still prefer the Student Life at UCL.It's in London so there is a lot to do in terms of sports etc, culture, music food. Also you get access to other Uni of London Universities like LSE and King's. I also like that at UCL you get the chance to study at some of the best Unis in the World, better than the Warwick options. The only thing I prefer about Warwick is the course. SO its course vs Uni I suppose. I can say I love Maths, hence its a really hard decision for me. UCL also has a much better international rep in case I wanna work abroad.
If it helps I'd like to do a PhD as it stands, but i may change my mind!
The only difference between UCL grades and Warwick, is Warwick needs STEP or AEA.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jarasta
I know all that, But I still prefer the Student Life at UCL.It's in London so there is a lot to do in terms of sports etc, culture, music food. Also you get access to other Uni of London Universities like LSE and King's. I also like that at UCL you get the chance to study at some of the best Unis in the World, better than the Warwick options. The only thing I prefer about Warwick is the course. SO its course vs Uni I suppose. I can say I love Maths, hence its a really hard decision for me. UCL also has a much better international rep in case I wanna work abroad.
The only difference between UCL grades and Warwick, is Warwick needs STEP or AEA.

If you're interested in doing a PhD afterwards then one option would be to do an MSc at Warwick. However I've heard it can be difficult getting funding for this and also as you said you might change your mind about doing a PhD later on.
Original post by jarasta

How do you know you prefer student life at UCL? Isn't that what this thread was supposed to establish?
Warwick has the biggest Student Union in the UK (as far as I remember, and if it isn't, then it's definitely one of the biggest), with a huge number of societies for any culture, food, activity, etc. you can think of. I agree that Warwick's exchange program is not that good.
However, I am not sure just how much UCL trumps Warwick in terms of international prestige. For math, Warwick definitely wins, especially in academia. If you plan to do a PhD, a math degree from Warwick will help you far more than a degree from UCL.
Reply 9
Original post by sheeesh

Thanks for the feedback. I've been able to build up more of a picture of university life and the maths department now. One last thing: if, say, I decided upon starting my degree that I would rather switch to a joint degree, i.e. Maths with Economics, would UCL accommodate such a change?
One last thing I want to say: It's obviously your own choice, but COWI are seen as the best universities for mathematics (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial; Cambridge is probably slightly ahead of the others), while UCL is in the next tier of universities for math.
Original post by leo99756
Thanks for the feedback. I've been able to build up more of a picture of university life and the maths department now. One last thing: if, say, I decided upon starting my degree that I would rather switch to a joint degree, i.e. Maths with Economics, would UCL accommodate such a change?

I know that it is possible to switch from a joint degree to the regular one before starting uni. I emailed the admissions tutor a few weeks ago to switch from Mathematics with Economics to Mathematics only. However, I doubt the switch would be possible once you have already started the course. Maybe if you decided to switch during the first few weeks? It is just one module that's different for the 2 courses after all(i.e Applied Maths and Economics)
Reply 12
Original post by jarasta
I have a question about the year abroad. How had is it to get a place to go do a year abroad?

It depends where you want to go. California is extremely competitive. Somewhere like Europe I would imagine is less so, so you would have a good chance if you had good grades.

I'm not entirely sure - you're allowed to change to a different course within the first few weeks, but I think it's more down to whether there are any places left on the course you want to join. Maths with Econ is very popular; you would be able to switch to Maths with Management with relative ease, though.

I think it really boils down to what you want out of your university experience. UCL and Warwick are very different universities, in terms of environment. For what it's worth, I applied to Warwick as well (didn't we all :tongue:), and it does have a fantastic maths department, but after visiting the campus I felt it was quite isolated from the rest of society, and preferred to live in London.
Reply 13
Original post by crunchychips
How do you know you prefer student life at UCL? Isn't that what this thread was supposed to establish?
Warwick has the biggest Student Union in the UK (as far as I remember, and if it isn't, then it's definitely one of the biggest), with a huge number of societies for any culture, food, activity, etc. you can think of. I agree that Warwick's exchange program is not that good.
However, I am not sure just how much UCL trumps Warwick in terms of international prestige. For math, Warwick definitely wins, especially in academia. If you plan to do a PhD, a math degree from Warwick will help you far more than a degree from UCL.

Well I really like London and London is one of the best cities in the world. I doubt Warwick's Campus or Coventry can match that experience.
Generally when you look at world rankings from various sources (American etc). UCL is usually very high up the tables. Whilst Warwick is relatively much lower. Which suggests to me UCL's international rep is much better overall.
As it stands though I'm thinking of firming Warwick, purely for the maths department
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Anybody got any last things to mention before I firm tomorrow? :smile:
Anybody got any last things to mention before I firm tomorrow? :smile:

You are firming UCL rather than a COWI uni... best of luck to you in your studies! :smile:
Reply 16
What did you firm OP?
Reply 17
Original post by jarasta
What did you firm OP?

UCL, you?
Reply 18
UCL, you?
My deadline is in June, but I'm very much leaning towards UCL :biggrin:
Original post by jarasta
Well I really like London and London is one of the best cities in the world. I doubt Warwick's Campus or Coventry can match that experience.
Generally when you look at world rankings from various sources (American etc). UCL is usually very high up the tables. Whilst Warwick is relatively much lower. Which suggests to me UCL's international rep is much better overall.
As it stands though I'm thinking of firming Warwick, purely for the maths department

Well, Warwick did score a perfect 100.00 score for employment in the QS World University Rankings (and got voted the most targeted university in the UK by the top employers) and got ranked the 3rd best 'under 50 year old' university in the world.

So it doesn't do too badly...

PS: I'm firming Warwick :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest