The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deshi
I think it's obvious that he wants to go back to you guys, will be happy to see him back in the league. Then we can take Rafa back and have some more epic matches :biggrin:

My thoughts exactly :wink:
Teasing news again from Jose Mourinho, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more about him and Lampard's contract deal in the coming weeks, when Benitez leaves us. If Mancini wins the FA cup, City will keep him. Fergie is staying at United for a couple more year. There's only one home for Mourinho and it's here at the Bridge.

Even if he does come back here, I won't be expecting him to come and win the PL title. There is so much competition in the PL now, but expect Chelsea to be challenging for it again.
This is starting to feel like a 'will they, won't they' TV romance.
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
This is starting to feel like a 'will they, won't they' TV romance.

Well, as long as it doesn't end like 'Prufrock, I'll be satisfied.
Original post by Deshi
I think it's obvious that he wants to go back to you guys, will be happy to see him back in the league. Then we can take Rafa back and have some more epic matches :biggrin:

Call me cynical, but I remember most of the Mourinho-Benitez encounters - excluding, of course, that excellent Champions League quarter-final - being rather dull affairs - 0-0s and 1-0s and the like.
Original post by KingMessi
Well, as long as it doesn't end like 'Prufrock, I'll be satisfied.

Hopefully it'll be the Friends style of ending.

Jose about to get on a plane to Paris, Roman runs through the terminal, finds him in the nick of time. They exchange a few emotional words, and it ends with Jose leaning in to sign the contract. :tongue:
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Hopefully it'll be the Friends style of ending.

Jose about to get on a plane to Paris, Roman runs through the terminal, finds him in the nick of time. They exchange a few emotional words, and it ends with Jose leaning in to sign the contract. :tongue:

If only.

I'm going to remain skeptical until a deal is done, though.
Reply 1607
Just watched the interview. ITV :facepalm2:
Call me cynical, but I remember most of the Mourinho-Benitez encounters - excluding, of course, that excellent Champions League quarter-final - being rather dull affairs - 0-0s and 1-0s and the like.

Tbf benitez and mourinho believe in substance over style anyway. It happened with the matches vs united in cups as well. (see FA cup final 07) where he'll go for a 1-0.

Plus the quarter final was hiddink vs benitez. Would be fun to see anyway for the rivalry.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1608
Apparently Mourinho wants Lewandoski to come to Chelsea with him. Not sure if I'd prefer him or Falcao simply because Falcao, Tevez and Aguero up front together would be beast.
Guys, do you reckon we'll need to get a new CB? I remember jam saying we don't need to get anyone new unless it's someone like Dante/Barzaghli/Mascherano, which I agreed with.

Ivanovic is often caught out of position. Terry can't play every week considering his age. So we're left with Cahill and Luiz. If Luiz is played in midfield then we're really just left with Cahill and Ivanovic with occasional rotation of Terry. If there's an injury like Cahill's then we're stuck with Iva/Terry. We'll need a consistent partnership next season.
Reply 1610

Tbh I wasn't just talking about goals, it was just funny how we always met each other in huge games.
Reply 1611
Original post by The Assassin
Guys, do you reckon we'll need to get a new CB? I remember jam saying we don't need to get anyone new unless it's someone like Dante/Barzaghli/Mascherano, which I agreed with.

Ivanovic is often caught out of position. Terry can't play every week considering his age. So we're left with Cahill and Luiz. If Luiz is played in midfield then we're really just left with Cahill and Ivanovic with occasional rotation of Terry. If there's an injury like Cahill's then we're stuck with Iva/Terry. We'll need a consistent partnership next season.

Not really fussed, obviously having a truly world class CB partnership would be good but its like 4th on the priority list for signings this summer imo.

If Jose comes in we'll play as a better defensive unit anyway, he'll probably put Cole and Azpi on more of a leash and get someone to play as a proper DM. I expect we'll counter attack and get an extremely clinical striker in...IF the Special One returns.
Reply 1612
Bit short notice but I have 2 spare junior tickets to the match tomorrow if anyone wants them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1613

Chalobah is a centre-back by trade isn't he? And Omeruo seems to be getting on with his business.

Feels like if we don't use our youngsters now, we'll have lost the chance to bring through some potential first-teamers.
Reply 1614
Original post by Yawn-er
Chalobah is a centre-back by trade isn't he? And Omeruo seems to be getting on with his business.

Feels like if we don't use our youngsters now, we'll have lost the chance to bring through some potential first-teamers.

Chalobah plays as a DM though and he's doing really well there, no point changing his development. It's similar to how alaba was shunted from CM to left back and it's worked a treat so might as well keep him there. Omeruo we'll have to see with him I guess.

Original post by Deshi
Tbh I wasn't just talking about goals, it was just funny how we always met each other in huge games.

True, kinda missed that. I've never seen a united liverpool CL match though. That would be a pretty good game to watch especially with that 09 team you had.

Terry can play every week I feel. How long was puyol playing as a starter until? It was only last season when he started getting dropped for mascherano. We should get a top CB but it's not first on the list. Also kalas apparently has been good and at the very worst we could use bruma as a last resort backup.

More pressing problems than defence. If we could sort out the CM/DM positions and get a striker/versatile forward like lewandowski and robben then a CB would be next on the list. Personally our transfer list in the summer should be robben and lewandowski. Two wouldn't cost more than 50 million together and then get that CM/use david luiz and chalobah there then really we've sorted out all of our problems in the squad.
You're right jam. I agree, once again, lol.

--

Some potentially juicy information regarding Mourinho (and some transfers) -- some from more reliable sources some from less reliable ones:

All newspapers that Mourinho definitely has been linked with Chelsea in one way or another, but Mou wants his advisors to negotiate more with Chelsea & PSG.

Mourinho has lowered his demands in returning, nonetheless.

Even if we don't make the champion's league, he's still eager to return

Not so sure what to feel about this - Xabi Alonso could be with us if Mourinho returns

It'll basically be a merry-go-round with the managers - Mourinho to Chelsea; Rafa to PSG; Ancelotti to RMCF

If Mourinho returns, RA would still refuse to axe Michael Emenalo, and unfortunately the special one will have to work under him

Villa are trying as hard as possible to keep Benteke

If Mourinho does return, he may be interested in some of the following: Falcao, Lewandowski, Khedira, Hulk (no thanks), Coentrao, Schurrle, Moutinho

What's the big deal with Emenalo? Why is RA so keen on him?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1616
I hate speculation, it's boring.

I'll be ecstatic if Mourinho does return, but I will only believe it when I see it confirmed in an official statement made only by the club.

If Mourinho doesn't return I'd be happy for Rafa to continue. His attitude to the haters has impressed me, he's kept his head down and he's got on with the job. His influence of some of the players has been excellent. I have to eat my words about what I've said about him in the past, I'll actually be a little bit disappointed to see him replaced. Because he will be, he wont stay. Unfortunate really. If he's not going to be replaced by Mourinho, I see no other reason to get rid of him.

Sitting in the lower shed end tonight, I hope Basel get an early goal to make the game intense and a bit nerve wracking! I love the ups and downs in a footy match!
You've been gone for a while. Were you banned?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rybee
I hate speculation, it's boring.

I'll be ecstatic if Mourinho does return, but I will only believe it when I see it confirmed in an official statement made only by the club.

If Mourinho doesn't return I'd be happy for Rafa to continue. His attitude to the haters has impressed me, he's kept his head down and he's got on with the job. His influence of some of the players has been excellent. I have to eat my words about what I've said about him in the past, I'll actually be a little bit disappointed to see him replaced. Because he will be, he wont stay. Unfortunate really. If he's not going to be replaced by Mourinho, I see no other reason to get rid of him.

Sitting in the lower shed end tonight, I hope Basel get an early goal to make the game intense and a bit nerve wracking! I love the ups and downs in a footy match!

Zomg :eek: a Chelsea fan who's started taking a liking to Benitez!

Was reading some articles about Benitez's influence on Luiz - he does seem like an improved player (more disciplined) player this season.
Reply 1619
You've been gone for a while. Were you banned?

Yah ;( 20 Warning points. Still have 10 active for another week.

Original post by Zerforax
Zomg :eek: a Chelsea fan who's started taking a liking to Benitez!

Was reading some articles about Benitez's influence on Luiz - he does seem like an improved player (more disciplined) player this season.

Yeah he is way more disciplined, Torres has certainly become a better played this season.

I really have changed my tune about Benitez.

Latest