The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I like surds and indices. Only thing I can do :tongue:. Apparently Spanish was absolutely solid today. Unlucky guys !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade
hopefully in the paper 2 we will get a quadratic formula and standard deviation question like they did a couple of years ago, its an easy 8 marks

Was actually just thinking this 20 minutes ago. Lol and princepieman I like Trig Equations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have barely even done anything today because I can remember the answers for most questions in every pastpaper :frown:
I have barely even done anything today because I can remember the answers for most questions in every pastpaper :frown:

QFT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
I'm quite confident :smile: I hope trig identities or iteration don't make a guest appearance we've briefly talked about them but I barely know anything on them, I can't find any practice questions since they haven't appeared for so long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
I'm quite confident :smile: I hope trig identities or iteration don't make a guest appearance we've briefly talked about them but I barely know anything on them, I can't find any practice questions since they haven't appeared for so long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heres every pastpaper since 1995 if that helps https://perthacademymaths.wikispaces.com/Credit+Past+Papers
Reply 186
Heres every pastpaper since 1995 if that helps https://perthacademymaths.wikispaces.com/Credit+Past+Papers

Thanks! I'll try and scour through them for a question aha!

EDIT: iPads not wanting me to get to the page fate is against me! Ahaha time for the computer :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is trig identities again ?

Also never heard of iteration , so it won't come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bromaldehyde

Posted from TSR Mobile

that thing where its sine= tan/cos (probably the wrong way round)
they never come up because its part of the higher course so im not worried about them :smile:
Reply 189

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is the tanx=sinx/cosx and sin*2*x+cos*2*x=1, *2* is meant to be squared, stuff and iteration is just to do with cutting the x-axis in parabolas or lines I've forgotten but its very tedious. It's not to say it won't appear, it's in the syllabus but it is very unlikely to do so, thank god for now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
It is the tanx=sinx/cosx and sin*2*x+cos*2*x=1, *2* is meant to be squared, stuff and iteration is just to do with cutting the x-axis in parabolas or lines I've forgotten but its very tedious. It's not to say it won't appear, it's in the syllabus but it is very unlikely to do so, thank god for now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is iteration when you have to find a x coordinate on a graph and you have to keep putting numbers into the formula until it = 0?
Reply 191
Is iteration when you have to find a x coordinate on a graph and you have to keep putting numbers into the formula until it = 0?

Yeah, it is like y=2x*2*+x+3 or whatever crosses between 2 and 3 find where it crosses to one dp and you put in 2.5 into the equation and you might get a positive or negative answer and basically you narrow it down between two numbers say 2.5 and 2.6 where one is positive and one is negative and you find which it is closest to. It is a lot of effort for nothing tbh ahaha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

An "identity" is an equation that is true for every possible value for x. A trigonometric identity is just an identity involving trigonometric functions. As with the examples above: tanx=sinxcosx\tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x}. This is an identity as it's true for ANY value of x. Could be 0.0045, could be 13, could be 360, could be 745. True for all possible values of x. :smile:

Maths is honestly an extremely logical subject, and once you start to think logically and can keep a bit of knowledge in your head, it becomes very easy. I wasn't very good at maths at Standard Grade either, but part of the way through Higher and into Advanced Higher, I started to get really really good and fell in love with the subject as I saw how logical and beautiful it was. The problem is that I feel mathematics is woefully taught at secondary schools, and it becomes an exercise of "memorise how to do this; repeat it in the exam" as opposed to teaching for understanding of WHY things work the way they do.

I remember at Standard Grade I was taught "change the side; change the sign" to rearrange equations. That ****ed me as I kept rearranging equations wrongly when following that rule. It's not until I realised that what you're actually performing is an operation to both sides of the equation that I finally got it and rearranging equations became the easiest thing in the world.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Maths is honestly an extremely logical subject, and once you start to think logically and can keep a bit of knowledge in your head, it becomes very easy. I wasn't very good at maths at Standard Grade either, but part of the way through Higher and into Advanced Higher, I started to get really really good and fell in love with the subject as I saw how logical and beautiful it was. The problem is that I feel mathematics is woefully taught at secondary schools, and it becomes an exercise of "memorise how to do this; repeat it in the exam" as opposed to teaching for understanding of WHY things work the way they do.

This is so me. I ****ing loved what we learnt of the Higher course, it's honestly easier tbh.

And sorry CanineVet didn't mean to put that !
Apparently Spanish was absolutely solid today. Unlucky guys !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spanish was awful all of the past papers were much easier than that! I'd be surprised if I passed credit :frown:

Good luck for maths tomorrow everyone!
Posted from TSR Mobile

That doesn't matter. You're still working through questions in the correct manner, which is good practise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone find the credit math exam? The non-calculator was surprisingly easy and most of the calculator paper was straightforward, apart from the last question asking to prove the quadratic by using the cosine rule. Also, I completely blanked on the formula to find the area of a trapezoid so I just found the area of the two triangles at the sides and added that to the square in the middle. Can any of you remind me of what the formula is again?
I found paper 1 and 2 pretty easy apart from the last question on paper 2.
I think i have got a 1 for KU and a 2 for RE :biggrin:
Reply 198
Original post by Princepieman
How did everyone find the credit math exam? The non-calculator was surprisingly easy and most of the calculator paper was straightforward, apart from the last question asking to prove the quadratic by using the cosine rule. Also, I completely blanked on the formula to find the area of a trapezoid so I just found the area of the two triangles at the sides and added that to the square in the middle. Can any of you remind me of what the formula is again?

I found the general and credit I very easy but II was okay apart from the last one where I realised my problem it said cosA was 0.5 but I put cos0.5 silly me ahah I was wondering was I so close yet not right ahaha! And I believe it is half the sum of the parallel sides and the distance between is multiplied so 1/2(a+b)xh? I can't remember the actual formula just the technique aha! See for 7 I got 4 but I didn't know how to prove it, I eventually just tried it with every number like 1,2,3,4 till I got 4 but I didn't know if there was a more valid way to prove it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found paper 1 and 2 pretty easy apart from the last question on paper 2.
I think i have got a 1 for KU and a 2 for RE :biggrin:

You too? I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to prove it but gave up and just left the working.

Latest

Trending

Trending